Value of: Spencer Knight

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Definitely feels like a guy Hughes would be interested in but I feel like they'd be looking more at the offseason. Primeau++

I would somewhat disagree with that, especially as a Habs fan who saw Price have some so-so years while still being considered one of, if not the, top goalies.

I think the real cream of the crop like Vasi, Hellebuyck and Sorokin you can steadily rely on elite goaltending and while guys like Saros, Oettinger, Markstrom and Shesterkin have been a little more up and down they are not far behind

As for your trade offer, not sure FLA would want a goalie back if they're moving Knight. They may just re-sign Stolarz who has been great this year.

To the Price comment,
He had a 6-7 year stretch where he was elite, he may have been injured a couple times but from 2010-11 to 2016-17, he was as good as it gets.

7 years is usually half a career worth of games and he played 60+ games multiple times, something very rare nowadays.

Screenshot_20240302_131606_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
As for your trade offer, not sure FLA would want a goalie back if they're moving Knight. They may just re-sign Stolarz who has been great this year.

To the Price comment,
He had a 6-7 year stretch where he was elite, he may have been injured a couple times but from 2010-11 to 2016-17, he was as good as it gets.

View attachment 828092
Figured they might be interested in a younger goalie who still has some potential, there'd be other pieces the Habs would move but they'd be looking to ship Primeau elsewhere. And trust me you don't have to sell me on Price lol. I'm referring more towards the end of his career where he was statistically pretty well league average but still being lauded as the league's best goalie based on his reputation.

That being said, he also clearly demonstrated that he still had that gear in him in the Finals run

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Figured they might be interested in a younger goalie who still has some potential, there'd be other pieces the Habs would move but they'd be looking to ship Primeau elsewhere. And trust me you don't have to sell me on Price lol. I'm referring more towards the end of his career where he was statistically pretty well league average but still being lauded as the league's best goalie based on his reputation.

That being said, he also clearly demonstrated that he still had that gear in him in the Finals run

Ya with Luongo running the goalie excellence program, we've drafted a goalie nearly every year so we have enough prospects in that regard.

I'm sure MON has some other F/D prospects that would be of need though.

Ya that's fair, was more talking in Price's prime. Just seems he was one of the last few who play 60+ and consistently put up elite numbers for a 6-7 year term.

Goalies are voodoo for obvious reasons now, the skill of the game is at an all time high and scoring/goals per game are trending up again.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Ya with Luongo running the goalie excellence program, we've drafted a goalie nearly every year so we have enough prospects in that regard.

I'm sure MON has some other F/D prospects that would be of need though.

Ya that's fair, was more talking in Price's prime. Just seems he was one of the last few who play 60+ and consistently put up elite numbers for a 6-7 year term.

Goalies are voodoo for obvious reasons now, the skill of the game is at an all time high and scoring/goals per game are trending up again.
True, but I still think the number of guys you can more or less count on to give you high end goaltending has remained relatively stable. There's like 8 or 9 guys I would pretty comfortably consider elite on a year to year basis.

Habs DEFINITELY have D and picks to trade if that's of interest to Florida. Jordan Harris will likely be an odd man out unless Montreal makes bigger trades with their other young D, he could be a starting point

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
True, but I still think the number of guys you can more or less count on to give you high end goaltending has remained relatively stable. There's like 8 or 9 guys I would pretty comfortably consider elite on a year to year basis.

Habs DEFINITELY have D and picks to trade if that's of interest to Florida. Jordan Harris will likely be an odd man out unless Montreal makes bigger trades with their other young D, he could be a starting point

Ya that was in my initial point about 10 or so guys who are good to elite year after year for at least 6+ years.
Then there's a drop off and bigger group of average guys who can have a hot year or two then fall back.

Think we're mostly on the same page here just was unsure of what that poster meant when they said goaltending was at an all time high.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Ya that was in my initial point about 10 or so guys who are good to elite year after year for at least 6+ years.
Then there's a drop off and bigger group of average guys who can have a hot year or two then fall back.

Think we're mostly on the same page here just was unsure of what that poster meant when they said goaltending was at an all time high.
I think just in general the goaltenders are more positionally sound and athletic than they've ever been, but the players are also faster, stronger and more skilled than they've ever been so it's hard to measure

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

of the 67 goalies to face 500 shot attempts, 47 have +ve GSAx
Last year was 43/75
Year before 28/68
20-21 it was 19/61
19-20 it was 26/63
18-19 it was 25/66

Goaltending has been excellent.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
of the 67 goalies to face 500 shot attempts, 47 have +ve GSAx
Last year was 43/75
Year before 28/68
20-21 it was 19/61
19-20 it was 26/63
18-19 it was 25/66

Goaltending has been excellent.

Hmm, not trying to diminish your list or work shown but 500 shot attempts divided by ~25 shots a game is about 20 games no?
Guess I feel it's been a while since the golden era and the top 7-8 names who were elite nearly every year from the 90s to early 2010s. They played 60 or more games for majority of their career.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Hmm, not trying to diminish your list or work shown but 500 shot attempts divided by ~25 shots a game is about 20 games no?
Guess I feel it's been a while since the golden era and the top 7-8 names who were elite nearly every year from the 90s to early 2010s. They played 60 or more games for majority of their career.
20 games is what I considered a reasonable sample size to root out aberrations. Basically includes any meaningful backup. Weeds out AHL 1 game injury call ups and stuff

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Do you guys have any RD prospects that are nearing NHL ready as another option instead of Kaliyev?
Yes, Kaliev is risky purchase, but Knight is really carrying even more risk to trade for him.
Especially, with 4.5 hit.
Nobody knows after his playing in AHL if he ever going to be good in NHL.
P.S. Kings already had problematic goalie Cal Petersen

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Do you guys have any RD prospects that are nearing NHL ready as another option instead of Kaliyev?
The Kings have pissed away a lot of RD talent in Durzi, Walker, and Grans. But if LA can find a way to re-sign Roy (and still have cap to trade for Knight), Spence would be available. He's redundant behind Doughty, Roy and Clarke.

Spence would be pretty much you're looking for.

Reactions: funky

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It really is crazy how top goalie picks almost never work out as well as you think they will. Recent guys like Cossa and Askarov have yet to justify their high picks, despite the former having a decent AHL season.

These guys are still super you g hy goalie standards.

Oettinger, Vasilevskiy of active goalies are doing fine. Older generation Rask, Fleury, Price worked out.

Samsonov and Campbell are two "failed" ones.

If half of them pan out as #1, thats worth the risk imo. Although Id always pick a surefire skater before a goalie.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
So AFAIK there's zero rumors he's available and FLA is just going to reassess after the season ends? Is that correct?

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
These guys are still super you g hy goalie standards.

Oettinger, Vasilevskiy of active goalies are doing fine. Older generation Rask, Fleury, Price worked out.

Samsonov and Campbell are two "failed" ones.

If half of them pan out as #1, thats worth the risk imo. Although Id always pick a surefire skater before a goalie.

Yes, and Knight started in the NHL very quickly at a decent level. OCD slowed down his development, but he still has all the tools to become a top goalie in the NHL. If I would be the GM of the Panthers, I wouldn't rush things with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad