Prospect Info: Spencer Knight (G) (2019, #13 overall), USNTDP (USHL)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
cant believe we didnt take caufield, newhook, or harley. were really gonna hate this draft when caufield starts lighting it up, but this happens to us every draft, so its really just par for the course. a goalie simply cannot be taken in the first round ever. goalies are so random these days i dont even pay attention to whos in net on any given game. backup, starter.... they all look the same when the panthers take 50 shots into their jersey logos. every other year theres a rookie who either gets far in the playoffs or wins the cup. then reverts to just the middle of the pack. unless they make the pads much smaller, were just not really gonna know which goalies truly stand mountains above the rest. and scoring would go up which is the main benefit. anyway, hate this pick. hate tallon. etc. etc. u know the drill.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
cant believe we didnt take caufield, newhook, or harley. were really gonna hate this draft when caufield starts lighting it up, but this happens to us every draft, so its really just par for the course. a goalie simply cannot be taken in the first round ever. goalies are so random these days i dont even pay attention to whos in net on any given game. backup, starter.... they all look the same when the panthers take 50 shots into their jersey logos. every other year theres a rookie who either gets far in the playoffs or wins the cup. then reverts to just the middle of the pack. unless they make the pads much smaller, were just not really gonna know which goalies truly stand mountains above the rest. and scoring would go up which is the main benefit. anyway, hate this pick. hate tallon. etc. etc. u know the drill.
Binnington rookie season incoming....

Reactions: Laus723

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I really like this pick. I’ve watched the high end NTDP players play 30 or so times over the last few years. While Knight didn’t get the hype of some of the others, he might end up being the best player of all of them. Goalies just have lower draft value, so you have to factor that into draft positioning. And it’s much easier to hype an offensive dynamo than a goalie. Knight’s just not going to get the prospect hype of Hughes or Caufield, but if the numbers in the NHL for his position are better, he’s the better player.

One thing about Knight that the generic scouting reports don’t account for is how smart of a kid he comes off as. In all the interviews I’ve heard from players in this draft, Knight comes off as the most mentally ready for pro hockey. He comes off as a mental giant. Very smart tactically, very practical, funny guy. I don’t know these players, so I could be wrong, but I think you can get some sort of picture from interviews. Some players come off as dumb, and that’s part of society. Not everyone is intelligent, but Knight seems like the type of player that will be a leader in any team he plays for because he commands respect. The mental aspect of the game is very important for goalies, more so than skaters, and Knight seems elite in these aspects, which is why I think he has one one of the highest floors among goalies to be drafted since I’ve been following the draft.

I agree, his interviews are great. Very smart kid and down to earth.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I'm not going to touch that comment, you know where they were in the standings in January just like everyone else. Coaching and goaltending..... let's start there before saying we don't have an NHL team.
nhl teams make the playoffs more than twice every 2 decades.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I don’t think he will take until 2024. Regardless, if you want immediate help you need to trade the pick for a roster player because nobody we could have selected would have an immediate impact and we both know that Tallon doesn’t trade first round picks
Excuse me, but that's a lame thing to say. We don't know. Patrice Bergeron was picked 45th, played at 18 years old and was better than Borgstrom currently his. So he was a solid contributor.
Pick talented players and give them a chance, they might surprise you. I'm not saying Knight will play this year, but if he's as good as advertise, he'll knock on the door in 2 years or so.

Reactions: CaptainScrewy

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Excuse me, but that's a lame thing to say. We don't know. Patrice Bergeron was picked 45th, played at 18 years old and was better than Borgstrom currently his. So he was a solid contributor.
Pick talented players and give them a chance, they might surprise you. I'm not saying Knight will play this year, but if he's as good as advertise, he'll knock on the door in 2 years or so.
Not sure you and I disagree

But best way to get help this year is to trade for proven talent

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm not going to touch that comment, you know where they were in the standings in January just like everyone else. Coaching and goaltending..... let's start there before saying we don't have an NHL team.
I can't speak for the St.Louis situation, but we do know that Berube and Winnington came in and they all caught fire and sure seemed to have the confidence. Even still, before I dismiss the notion that goalies weren't THE issue in STL when they were at the bottom- what were the turnover stats in the first half of last year for STL? If so, did the turnovers stop around the time Binnington took over?

Maybe that's the biggest part, the coaching-keeping everyone on task and energized...every last one of these guys are all millions of dollars worth of good hockey player.

When Matheson and Yandle play from their net first, we don't lose. Maybe that really could've been us with Quenneville and Sammy in net. I mean, not for nothing, the games Sam was pulled and his stats averages skewed horribly, might not have happened with Quenneville keeping 3 and 19 on track...

I really don't even understand why you hate me that much when I really don't ever find myself disagreeing with you :/ Good post either way.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
binnington had an nhl roster in front of him.
We do too. We see it half the time.

Someone just got here so that can be more often than not. He's a beautiful silver haired gentleman and he's here to stop the turnovers and lazy bullshit.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Although I was really wanting Newhook on this team, I love this pick. This kid is elite, and potential to be the best ever American goalie. Comment that really stood out to me by Bob McKenzie is that "Knight is a competitor and loves to compete even in practice. And that a number of his teammates have said they are better players because of Knight".

That comment right there sold me!

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Quite exciting to have such a highly rated goalie prospect in the fold. I was a bit astounded to hear the nbc crew at the draft fawning all over him. The panels' praise was unanimous. I normally kind of tune creepy Pierre Maguire out, Pierre was literally gushing over Knight. I think if Pittsburgh would've been the team choosing Knight he would've had a trifecta in his pants.

Brent Burns Beard