Prospect Info: Spencer Knight (G) (2019, #13 overall), USNTDP (USHL)

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I don't like it because I'm a not a fan of 1st round picks being used on goalies (that's subjective I know), but also because Florida needs immediate help and just brought in a player who won't be a regular until like 2024. But it's not a reach pick or a huge mistake.

If you think this team is in such a dire state that they need "immediate help" via drafting 18 year olds then you are not paying attention.

This team doesn't need any 18 year olds, and if you think we were going to draft a literal game changer 13th overall, once again you're not paying attention.

They're only a few pieces away from winning and winning big. Neither of those pieces entails an 18-year old kid putting the team on his back and bringing us back to the promise land.

This is a great move for this franchise and allows us to (hopefully) sign a keeper long term and not rush him as we have with so many prospects over the years.

I know it's tough with so much uncertainty going into this season but don't get down on this draft pick. We got a great player who will likely be a key to this teams success for a while. Things are getting better, I promise.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Goalies in our system before last night:

Montembeault
Bednard
Driedger

As much as I like Bednard, he’s still a ways off, and Driedger likely won’t be much of a player for us in the near future, if at all, so I like the Knight pick.

I don’t think we were in as dire of a need for a defenseman as some made it out to be, although we don’t have a true top-end D prospect so I it would’ve been nice to get Broberg or Seider. Gildon, Inamoto, Krygier, Kinnunen, Downing, Finkelstein, Schemitsch, Nassen, Keeper, Stillman. McCoshen and Weegar just joined.

Reactions: RainingRats

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
What do we want? "a backup goalie!" when do we want him? "2025!"

so by being aggressive at the draft, dale meant im just gonna use my pick to draft someone who will help us when the core's contracts are all up and we lose our supposed window. i cant wait to see how aggressive he doesnt get in free agency.
They obviously dont draft him with the intent he takes that long, but it’s a realistic possibility. He’ll be ready when he’s ready, if he’s ever ready, you never know. Hopefully it only takes like 3yrs of development, a year or two as backup and he’s ready to go but it’ll be dependent on him. Jack Campbell just started contributing in the nhl and he’s not even with the stars anymore. Who know how goalies pan out and looking at the list of first rounders it’s not that great but he definitely has potential to be great so here’s to hoping

Reactions: RainingRats

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
“He may not pan out, or if he does it won’t be for many years” is a lame excuse, as are all the other excuses for not taking Knight. It’s about time this team takes a risk at the draft. We missed out on a DeBrincat because he was 5’7”.... he goes and scores 41 goals.

I personally would’ve been fine with Caufield or Knight, so I’m happy.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Lol Florida's still signing Bobrovsky, you just highlighted why most of us aren't fans. I don't like it because I'm a not a fan of 1st round picks being used on goalies (that's subjective I know), but also because Florida needs immediate help and just brought in a player who won't be a regular until like 2024. But it's not a reach pick or a huge mistake.
I don’t think he will take until 2024. Regardless, if you want immediate help you need to trade the pick for a roster player because nobody we could have selected would have an immediate impact and we both know that Tallon doesn’t trade first round picks

RealHumanBean

Mar 23, 2018
“He may not pan out, or if he does it won’t be for many years” is a lame excuse, as are all the other excuses for not taking Knight. It’s about time this team takes a risk at the draft. We missed out on a DeBrincat because he was 5’7”.... he goes and scores 41 goals.

Since you're here, is fla_prospects back on hiatus again? (Noticed the deleted tweet)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Since you're here, is fla_prospects back on hiatus again? (Noticed the deleted tweet)

I had wanted to do it again, but still wasn’t sure if I could make it work again with time and everything, so I figured for now it’s not best not to commit.

I’ll be at the scrimmage next sunday if anyone’s going.

Reactions: RealHumanBean

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Coyote fan in peace.

On the Athletic, the Coyotes writer stated that our GM thought that Florida was highly interested in Soderstrom, and that the Panthers were prepared to take him at #13 or even trade up to get him, if necessary. So, that may have prompted the reason for the Coyotes to trade up ahead of Florida, especially due to Soderstrom being highly ranked by the Coyotes.

I did have a question for you guys who were able to watch the broadcast - do you think that Florida actually wanted Soderstrom? The reason I ask is because when the Coyotes traded up and took the pick, prior to the commercial break, the broadcast cut to the tables of the next two teams to pick, in this case - Minnesota and Florida. Minnesota's table looked relatively calm with little movement. However, when the cameras flashed to Florida's table, it looked like every single person was in conversation. I think Tallon was listening to someone whisper in his ear, and a second side conversation was happening to the right between maybe some scouts or some other team employees. I couldn't tell, but it was almost like everyone had this uneasy look on their faces.

Did anyone also notice this, and does anyone think that there were other players whom Florida wanted to take but the maneuvering opened the door for Knight to be drafted? I am just trying to figure out some context regarding the Coyotes trade up. There are some who insist Soderstrom would have been there at 14, but the table reactions make me think that there is some truth behind the idea that Florida was high on Soderstrom. And Tallon does like defensemen who have a good mix of offensive skill and defensive ability, which Soderstrom fits.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Coyote fan in peace.

On the Athletic, the Coyotes writer stated that our GM thought that Florida was highly interested in Soderstrom, and that the Panthers were prepared to take him at #13 or even trade up to get him, if necessary. So, that may have prompted the reason for the Coyotes to trade up ahead of Florida, especially due to Soderstrom being highly ranked by the Coyotes.

I did have a question for you guys who were able to watch the broadcast - do you think that Florida actually wanted Soderstrom? The reason I ask is because when the Coyotes traded up and took the pick, prior to the commercial break, the broadcast cut to the tables of the next two teams to pick, in this case - Minnesota and Florida. Minnesota's table looked relatively calm with little movement. However, when the cameras flashed to Florida's table, it looked like every single person was in conversation. I think Tallon was listening to someone whisper in his ear, and a second side conversation was happening to the right between maybe some scouts or some other team employees. I couldn't tell, but it was almost like everyone had this uneasy look on their faces.

Did anyone also notice this, and does anyone think that there were other players whom Florida wanted to take but the maneuvering opened the door for Knight to be drafted? I am just trying to figure out some context regarding the Coyotes trade up. There are some who insist Soderstrom would have been there at 14, but the table reactions make me think that there is some truth behind the idea that Florida was high on Soderstrom. And Tallon does like defensemen who have a good mix of offensive skill and defensive ability, which Soderstrom fits.

He was most likely on their shirt list too. But so was Knight, otherwise they would have traded down.

They also could have been speculating if you're taking Knight.

Reactions: klabob

RealHumanBean

Mar 23, 2018
Coyote fan in peace.

if this is true then florida was incredibly high on Knight
this guy got the 14 first picks right, seems to have some sort of insider knowledge

Obviously the guy in the tweet I linked isn't some blue checkmark twitter user who everyone knows is an insider, but he did seem to know a lot about what/why teams would pick certain prospects. He got the 14 first picks right for example, so I do think he has some insider knowledge.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Coyote fan in peace.

Tallon said they were looking at a dman and Knight. Dman was taken so they take Knight

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016

Instead they picked Mascherin who is 5-9 and scored less in the OHL. These excuses don't hold up.

Reactions: klabob

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He was most likely on their shirt list too. But so was Knight, otherwise they would have traded down.

They also could have been speculating if you're taking Knight.

Tallon said they were looking at a dman and Knight. Dman was taken so they take Knight

Obviously the guy in the tweet I linked isn't some blue checkmark twitter user who everyone knows is an insider, but he did seem to know a lot about what/why teams would pick certain prospects. He got the 14 first picks right for example, so I do think he has some insider knowledge.

Appreciate it. Very possible that Soderstrom was one spot higher than Knight on the Panthers' list and once he was taken, Knight became the obvious choice. Could have been Knight was the obvious choice all along and some of it was smokescreen. I just vividly remember that when the cameras panned to Florida's table - there was a lot of chatter going on and some discomfort on faces.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Appreciate it. Very possible that Soderstrom was one spot higher than Knight on the Panthers' list and once he was taken, Knight became the obvious choice. Could have been Knight was the obvious choice all along and some of it was smokescreen. I just vividly remember that when the cameras panned to Florida's table - there was a lot of chatter going on and some discomfort on faces.

I'd agree with that. Soderstrom will be a really good two way defenseman, definitely my pick all the way.
Picking Knight now allows us to solely focus on D and C's going forward today. Still think we can pick a stud D in the 2nd round and hopefully a 3rd round C gem like Trocheck/Point. Our scouting staff has been levels better since the 2016 draft.

Wingers and goaltending are fully stocked now and in future, especially if we land Bobrovsky and Panarin. C is stocked right now at NHL level which allows us to focus a 1st round pick on one next year. A tad disappointed we didn't get a solid D at 13th as we may lose a Weegar type guy to expansion draft if we go 7-3-1 route. That D would be ready to take over if we lose said D in two years. Everything I read about Knight is great, now it's up to him to live up to the hype.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The pros with knight seem to be:

Perfect size at 6’3, not too big, not too small.
Incredible athletic ability (the biggest factor for me)
And plays a calm/poised game.

All things are very promising, hopefully he finds success at Boston college, but if it were just numbers then the jury could still be out. I think the fact he’s an incredible athlete was the most alluring aspect about him. He’s got potential, we’re all rooting for him, hopefully it works out.

Hopefully the ol’ “goalie of the future” thing is actually true this time :laugh:

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
The pros with knight seem to be:

Perfect size at 6’3, not too big, not too small.
Incredible athletic ability (the biggest factor for me)
And plays a calm/poised game.

All things are very promising, hopefully he finds success at Boston college, but if it were just numbers then the jury could still be out. I think the fact he’s an incredible athlete was the most alluring aspect about him. He’s got potential, we’re all rooting for him, hopefully it works out.

Hopefully the ol’ “goalie of the future” thing is actually true this time :laugh:

i watched this kid at the world's. he was freaking incredible. he's athletic, calm, incredible anticipation, good puck handler, extremely athletic. he's touted as the best goalie to ever play for the u.s.a. i believe he will be ready to step into the nhl in 2-3 years as a starter. i believe the plan is 1 year at boston college, 1 year in the ahl with spot duty in the nhl, 3rd year full time nhl with possible starter potential. GREAT PICK!!!!! all the analyst were thrilled with our pick.

Reactions: CaptainScrewy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like this pick. I’ve watched the high end NTDP players play 30 or so times over the last few years. While Knight didn’t get the hype of some of the others, he might end up being the best player of all of them. Goalies just have lower draft value, so you have to factor that into draft positioning. And it’s much easier to hype an offensive dynamo than a goalie. Knight’s just not going to get the prospect hype of Hughes or Caufield, but if the numbers in the NHL for his position are better, he’s the better player.

One thing about Knight that the generic scouting reports don’t account for is how smart of a kid he comes off as. In all the interviews I’ve heard from players in this draft, Knight comes off as the most mentally ready for pro hockey. He comes off as a mental giant. Very smart tactically, very practical, funny guy. I don’t know these players, so I could be wrong, but I think you can get some sort of picture from interviews. Some players come off as dumb, and that’s part of society. Not everyone is intelligent, but Knight seems like the type of player that will be a leader in any team he plays for because he commands respect. The mental aspect of the game is very important for goalies, more so than skaters, and Knight seems elite in these aspects, which is why I think he has one one of the highest floors among goalies to be drafted since I’ve been following the draft.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
During the draft button says he expects him to be at Boston college for one year then in the nhl, bob thinks he has the potential to be the best American goalie ever, and they said he set the record for USA wins (for the season? Or?), beezer also raves about him. Idk about all of those things but definitely good things to hear for sure lol

Reactions: Vilam

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
If you think this team is in such a dire state that they need "immediate help" via drafting 18 year olds then you are not paying attention.
There's a non-zero chance this team is even in Florida when Spencer Knight is a regular starter. Florida is in ultimate win-now mode.
I don’t think he will take until 2024. Regardless, if you want immediate help you need to trade the pick for a roster player because nobody we could have selected would have an immediate impact and we both know that Tallon doesn’t trade first round picks
I know, just what I would have preferred.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

I think Tallon had Broberg, Seider and Soderstrom pretty pretty high...

Pretty sure Seider, Soderstrom and Knight were our top-3... Don't know the order, but in the end, they seemed really really high on Knight and making that pick. So who knows !

But when the deal happened, I told my friends the Coyotes were probably going Soderstrom and were afraid we had him higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad