Recalled/Assigned: Spencer Abbott recalled

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Earliest Kulemin would be traded is when Clarkson comes back. But even then, won't happen. Nonis would probably rather let him walk.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4143853-nhl-dream-comes-true-for-hamilton-s-abbott/

And when Andy Frost bellowed his name — "From Hamilton, Ontario, number 56, Spencer Abbott" — he honestly couldn't wipe the smile off his face.

"It was a pretty amazing feeling," the 25-year-old Sherwood grad says.

No doubt.

The story of the most amazing moment of his life actually starts 24 hours before.

He was dead asleep in the middle of a nap Friday when his phone rang. Through sleepy eyes, he saw his coach's name on the call display. That woke him up a bit since a call from the boss generally means one of two things: He'd either been traded or he'd been called up.

It was the latter. Nikolai Kulemin had been injured so the next morning Abbott was to get to the ACC by 9 for the Leafs' morning skate. Then be ready to play in the home opener.

"It definitely took a while to sink in," he says.

By Saturday morning, he was scrambling for tickets for his family and friends. Players get two for free. Abbott had to pay $100 each for seven more. Yet he still didn't know if he'd be playing for sure. He didn't get the nod until partway through the warmup when head coach Randy Carlyle gave him the good news.

Which brings us to the pre-game introduction.

Standing on the blue line listening to the crowd sing the anthem, he took it all in just like that earlier version of him at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Then he got to work. Midway through the first period on one of his first big-league shifts, he drove hard to the net and nearly deflected a shot past Craig Anderson. Then, scrambling to his feet after being knocked down, he hustled back to make a terrific defensive play, likely saving a goal.

It showed he belonged.

On Sunday night, he was back with the Marlies. He got an assist. But, by then, he'd already joined the short list of Hamiltonians who've ever had the chance to wear the blue and white.

"Your main goal as a hockey player is to play in the NHL some day," he says. "I can say I've done that now."

He stops for a second, but only for a second, before finishing his thought.

"Not that I'm satisfied."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad