Player Discussion Spelling Nurse at RW

YourARumour

Jan 27, 2009
Cheechem
Just thought it might be worth a discussion, obviously this is not the time for this experiment, but if the team were to run into a rash of injuries at RW and the D core stays healthy would you mind seeing Nurse spelled at RW once and awhile? Is it worth a look?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's not even a good defenseman yet. I wouldn't do anything to screw with his development like that.

YourARumour

Jan 27, 2009
Cheechem
His instincts when he came out of the box and scored on that 2 on 1 with McDavid was very impressive for a D man who is not yet know for having much of an offensive presence. It could help foster his long term offensive upside. Could be a nice wrinkle to have on the roster.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I've thought about this as well, mentioned it during the Jets game and mentioned it last year.

However, Nurse needs to keep learning how to be a reliable D man in the league first. I'm happy with his progress, he's taken noticeable steps forward from last year when he was thrown to the wolves with zero sheltering. Nurse is still a puppy, just give him time and he'll be a stalwart on our D.

He's been solid killing penalties all year in my view. His puck moving abilities are noticeably better, instead of panicking and firing the puck along the boards without first making sure a winger is there, we're seeing Nurse with his head up and reading his first and second options. He's also showing more confidence carrying the puck up ice past the red line and dumping it in himself or jumping in the play.

We're seeing real progress with Nurse, let him keep getting better day by day as a D man.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've thought about this as well, mentioned it during the Jets game and mentioned it last year.

However, Nurse needs to keep learning how to be a reliable D man in the league first. I'm happy with his progress, he's taken noticeable steps forward from last year when he was thrown to the wolves with zero sheltering. Nurse is still a puppy, just give him time and he'll be a stalwart on our D.

He's been solid killing penalties all year in my view. His puck moving abilities are noticeably better, instead of panicking and firing the puck along the boards without first making sure a winger is there, we're seeing Nurse with his head up and reading his first and second options. He's also showing more confidence carrying the puck up ice past the red line and dumping it in himself or jumping in the play.

We're seeing real progress with Nurse, let him keep getting better day by day as a D man.

I agree Nurse has shown noticeable improvement this year. Part of that has to do with that he is playing a role suited to a rookie Dman and not being forced into tougher minutes than he can handle (we have depth), and part of it is that the forwards seems dedicated to playing better positionally in their own zone, less guys flying the zone, more guys in the right spot to receive that puck that is fired up the boards. Both penalties called on him so far have been incredibly weak calls as well that most likely don't get called on a veteran Dman.

Really liking Nurses game this year.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Doesn't appear to me that Nurse knows what to do with the puck in the offensive zone. He holds his own on the blueline, but anytime he meets and resistance on his rushes there doesn't seem to be any ability to overcome the pressure. I do not get the feeling he would have much for puck skills or deke-ing.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Doesn't appear to me that Nurse knows what to do with the puck in the offensive zone. He holds his own on the blueline, but anytime he meets and resistance on his rushes there doesn't seem to be any ability to overcome the pressure. I do not get the feeling he would have much for puck skills or deke-ing.

I am sure the thought process is big body in front of the net, but I don't want him to learn the opposite of what he should be doing.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I agree Nurse has shown noticeable improvement this year. Part of that has to do with that he is playing a role suited to a rookie Dman and not being forced into tougher minutes than he can handle (we have depth), and part of it is that the forwards seems dedicated to playing better positionally in their own zone, less guys flying the zone, more guys in the right spot to receive that puck that is fired up the boards. Both penalties called on him so far have been incredibly weak calls as well that most likely don't get called on a veteran Dman.

Really liking Nurses game this year.

Exactly. He's taken the next step. Still needs to work on his game, but we're seeing improvement. I'm happy with Nurse, we have to look at the long-term with him.

I'd like to see Nurse at some point play with Russell more (no point messing with the top 4 right now though). In the Hurricanes game where Fayne went down, Nurse played his best game as an Oiler. Dominated the eye test and his analytics were outstanding, he finished with a 59% 5 on 5 Corsi leading all Oiler players. Him and Russell looked so smooth and comfortable together.

In the GDT it was repeatedly mentioned how good Nurse-Russell looked together (best pairing for either team in the game I thought), Nurse looked way more confident playing with a D partner who can skate like he can.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I like Nurse on our 5-6 pairing.

He's adapting really well in that role.

He's not Brent Burns/Dustin Byfuglien though.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nurse played net-front on the PP in the Sioux and was ok at it. But that was juniors.

I think he'd transition well to wing but he'd be a bottom six player....so why?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Can't stick handle, pass, or shoot, and has no idea what to do in the offensive zone so let's make him a forward. Makes sense.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
His instincts when he came out of the box and scored on that 2 on 1 with McDavid was very impressive for a D man who is not yet know for having much of an offensive presence. It could help foster his long term offensive upside. Could be a nice wrinkle to have on the roster.

It was a 2 on 0, all he had to do was go to the net. It took the instincts of a div 10 mens league player.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
It was a 2 on 0, all he had to do was go to the net. It took the instincts of a div 10 mens league player.

Yeah I feel like "get ready to shoot into an empty net after McDavid jukes out the defender" isn't really the high quality hockey IQ OP is cracking it up to be lol

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I would like to try Larsson on the RW for the last game of the year.

That way he counts as a forward not dman for expansion draft. Right? Right?:sarcasm:;)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He's a solid skater, physical, and decent defensively (or at least working towards being so at the NHL level)... but nothing I've seen from him screams winger.

Wouldn't the fact he shoots left make him a better candidate as a LW or are we trying to be extra fancy and play him on his off wing at a new position he hasn't played before as well?

What about putting him in net with a tennis racket... or make him a zamboni driver wearing horseshoes and boxing mitts... lots of interesting options to try...

What time is the game again?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Probably the weirdest idea I've heard for a position change.. literally makes no sense.

Nurse's backwards skating is one of his best qualities.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No, but neither were they at that age.

Agreed took those guys a while to be at the point they're at now. Nurse as the 5 looks at lot more comfortable much better then what he was forced to play last season.
In regards to the forward project, not sure about Buff but Burns was a forward in Jr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad