Dreger: Speculation that Panarin asking price is just over $12 million a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
There's an important variable re: Panarin and the Isles: it's not Lou who will offer him $12 million. It would be Malkin, the owner who over the next few years is building a new arena and developing the property surrounding it. His business is real estate (his family owns the Empire State Building among other things) and specifically for him it's mainly high-end retail "shopping villages" (his one outside London is the most successful in the world). He's developing one at Belmont adjacent to the arena. He's very big into marketing and the entertainment experience re: all of this.

I'm sure Malkin wants to go big and sees Panarin (and Bob) as guys who can help the team but also help his billion plus dollar project. I don't think he's going to stay up at night because Garrett from Brantford on HF thinks he overpaid Panarin by $10 million over 7 years. ;)
Hypothetically, could Malkin offer a hockey contract for, say, 10 million a year, and arrange for shopping/entertainment endorsements of another 2 million?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Wow. 12M? He is quickly getting comically overrated. He's played 322 NHL games and has 320 pts. That's not even a point per game yet. And he's not even a center. He's one hell of a winger, of course, but he's not a cornerstone franchise player that you build around, imo. And that's what 12M+ should command. There's only 1 player in the league getting that kind of money, and he's widely known as the best player in the league. . I wouldn't put Panarin in the top 15.
Leon Draisaitl is a young, big, skilled franchise-type center, that finished with 50 goals and 105 pts, and he's making 8.5

This is really bad for the league, now players with close to a point per game stat, will be asking for the same thing. This is especially bad for the leafs, as Marner is licking lips with money signs in his eyes, and will use that vastly overpaid contract as a comparison. The Auston Matthews contract really set a bad precedent for this year's UFA's/RFA's.

Panarin should be getting no more than 10. My guess he signs in New York, he's made it clear for years that's where he wants to play

Reactions: ichabod13

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
So when the Isles offered JT around the same amount, it was OK for the Isles to do that because he was the franchise player. Yet when Panarin who most of us agree is probably the better player is available, it is a desperation move to offer him a similar amount????

Different dynamics to be honest.

1. Tavares was the Isles franchise player, and face of the franchise, from day one. Losing him, from a fan's perspective was more potent than gaining an outside star player. Overpaying a little in that case is tough, but a tad warranted.

2. The Isles made that offer with the thought process that the cap was going to continue trending up. Expectations heading into 2020 were 83 mil. Teams always look 2-3 years ahead, hence why they're already saying 2021 will likely be down again, and some teams are panicking and/or getting their ducks in a row.

3. The Leafs overpaid Tavares IMO, quite honestly. What's even scarier is that the Isles (although justified above) were supposedly offering 12 and the madman Doug Wilson in San Jose was offering 13, which is pure lunacy.

4. Panarin is a wing and not a center, which doesn't mean as much as before, but still counts for something.

5. Teams are selling off great assets for discounts (Trouba and Subban types) because of cap situations. The best thing smart teams can do right now is prevent similar situations. It's hard to build a long-term contender when you're paying a 27-28 year old winger Connor McDavid money.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Wow. 12M? He is quickly getting comically overrated. He's played 322 NHL games and has 320 pts. That's not even a point per game yet. And he's not even a center. He's one hell of a winger, of course, but he's not a cornerstone franchise player that you build around, imo. And that's what 12M+ should command. There's only 1 player in the league getting that kind of money, and he's widely known as the best player in the league. . I wouldn't put Panarin in the top 15.
Leon Draisaitl is a young, big, skilled franchise-type center, that finished with 50 goals and 105 pts, and he's making 8.5

This is really bad for the league, now players with close to a point per game stat, will be asking for the same thing. This is especially bad for the leafs, as Marner is licking lips with money signs in his eyes, and will use that vastly overpaid contract as a comparison. The Auston Matthews contract really set a bad precedent for this year's UFA's/RFA's.

Panarin should be getting no more than 10. My guess he signs in New York, he's made it clear for years that's where he wants to play
Yes, Panarin is not a PPG player, he's only a paltry .99
Drai signed that deal before he went off on his 50 goal, 105 pt season. Could you imagine what he would have gotten if this offseason was his contract season? Guarantee you it would be 8 figures. He's much better than Skinner, yet Skinner is getting paid 9.5 and Drai only 8.5

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I have no issue with the 12 mil. Unfortunately the isles have to overpay to get any big name FA to come here. It hasnt happened in my lifetime. So maybe in 48 hrs? Just maybe?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

It’s not bad for the league at all... salary is capped
The more money these players take the less for everyone else

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Salary.

Cap.

Malkin can be the most brilliant marketer this side of John Wanamaker or David Ogilvy but in the NHL he can't exceed the cap.

Panarin is a great, exciting player, but paying him $12 mil cap hit limits the Isles from icing a well rounded Cup contender around him, longterm.

So yes, can the owner tell his general manager that he wants to add some talent? Sure. And when the general manager tells him that he's overpaying for an asset and that it will hurt the team long-term, how does the owner respond? You think a good owner, who's knowledge base is real estate, is going to completely disregard his GMs feedback and overpay by approx. a $2 mil cap x 7?

The money itself isn't the issue, it's the lack of cap flexibility after paying a player like Panarin McDavid-type money that's the issue.

Paying Panarin more than Matthews, etc. is flat out fiscally irresponsible and risks of desperation. And that doesn't seem to fit the profile of the owner you just laid out.

Unfortunately the Isles can’t operate like most teams. They have historically been unable to lure top UFAs. This is one of the few times I can remember them actually being on one of their potential destination lists, but you’d still assume it will require overpayment.

Luckily for the Isles though they’ve done a good job recently of stocking the system. Even if they bring in both Panarin and Bob for $22M, they can trade Leddy for futures and replace him with Aho. They can bring back Filppula for a year and groom Koivula to take his place. They can move Boychuk next year(even if it requires attaching a pick to him) and have Dobson - one of the best D prospects in the league - take his place. Add in Greiss being replaced by a rookie next year in Sorokin(which IMO becomes more likely with Bob in the fold).

Even with Barzal and Pulock up for big raises next year, they should be able to make it work. They might be in trouble further down the line if a lot of the kids pan out, but that seems like more of a “good problem”.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If you think 10 million is fair, paying an extra million or so for your best player shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Overpaying a little for elite players is not what gets you in trouble. Overpaying for ordinary players does.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
good riddance to the dumb a** imbecile who gives this russian millions over what he deserves. Yashin written all over it.

Two things killed Yashin

1. The game around him changing more to a speed/skill game
2. His wrist injury

Had neither of those two happened, his contract would have been more than fine.

I'm not saying Panarin is worth north of 11m, just that his game isn't as suceptible to a steep decline as Yashins was. Unless somehow the game goes back to being more clutch and grab like it was in the early 2000's.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Boys From Branford.
(with apologies to Ira Levin)

In 2019 after being released from his contract from Hockey Night in Canada, An angry Don Cherry escapes to Branford, Ontario.
Along with a team of disgraced Genetic Scientists who are based in an unknown northern Ontario location and with their desire to clone 20 copies of the “Great One “ and puts them up for adoption with families who have the same backstory of a 1960’s Gretzky family life in order to prove once and for all that Ontarian's are the worlds best ice hockey’s players.

Eh, it’s a work in progress.

Call it "The Mad Octogenarian Ontarian" and I would watch

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
So when the Isles offered JT around the same amount, it was OK for the Isles to do that because he was the franchise player. Yet when Panarin who most of us agree is probably the better player is available, it is a desperation move to offer him a similar amount????

I'm sorry, what? I love Panarin but he's a one dimensional winger.

This isn't even including the fact that John Tavares has actually racked up more points than Panarin over the past two seasons, while playing C.

Panarin is good, but I feel sorry for anyone who offers him 12+ million.

Reactions: ichabod13

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

This isn't even including the fact that John Tavares has actually racked up more points than Panarin over the past two seasons, while playing C.

You clearly don't watch Panarin if you think he is one-dimensional. Guy is a solid two-way winger.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Lol

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Hypothetically, could Malkin offer a hockey contract for, say, 10 million a year, and arrange for shopping/entertainment endorsements of another 2 million?

I imagine that...

Not through his pocket directly or indirectly. But their is nothing to stop him from using his connections to recommend Panarin.

But the monies would clearly have to come from a third party and not Malkin.

No different than the Maple Leafs having potential endorsement opportunities talk to Stamkos.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Artemi Panarin was Adam Panarolsky from Thunder Bay, Ontario, he'd be worth $13mil.

Stop it. Enough with the anti-Russian bias nonsense. McDavid got 12.5 and Matthews 11.5. Why didn't either of them get 13?

Panarin has never hit 90 points in a season and yet somehow he's supposed to warrant more than a kid who's won multiple Harts and Art Rosses 4 years into his career?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Stop it. Enough with the anti-Russian bias nonsense. McDavid got 12.5 and Matthews 11.5. Why didn't either of them get 13?

Panarin has never hit 90 points in a season and yet somehow he's supposed to warrant more than a kid who's won multiple Harts and Art Rosses 4 years into his career?

% of cap at time of signing, that’s why.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
You clearly don't watch Panarin if you think he is one-dimensional. Guy is a solid two-way winger.

I've watched him give up on multiple plays in the playoffs alone this year.

He can get pretty damn lazy on the back check from time to time, this is undeniable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad