Speculation: 63rd Overall

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I would be on board with trying to trade down and see if you could turn this into a couple of 4ths, or maybe a late 3rd and a 5th?

At this point, volume of picks would be ideal. Maybe if a d-man falls out of the 2nd round you jump on it, but we're hurting for picks so badly we need to acquire more picks any way we can really.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Day pulled another Nick Ebert and fell to the bottom of the draft. I'd be furious if we picked him at 64.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
With Gudbranson now locking up our top 4... do we still draft a dman here at #64?

Or go forward because BPA.... And if BPA, do we lean Big Power Forward or Scorer (young scorers like Vey-Gaudreau types) or speedy checking 2-way winger (like Burrows, Hagelin types)... Please.. not saying Vey is Gaudreau or Burrows is Hagelin... just saying playing style.

Cam Morrison seems great value at this spot. Alot of ppl saying he's top 35..

Svetlakov looks interesting... Played with Radulov.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqTVW3EpTpA

What about Dmitri Sokolov at #64? 5'11, 220 lbs, C/LW, LHS. Stocky scorer. May fit well to draft a Russian forward with Pedan and Tryamkin on our back end?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Sean Day would be terrible value at this spot. We can probably have him in the 6th-7th round if we want him. He sucks.
Yep. Another guy who peaked early -- he could be our 2010s Steven Anthony, who was surprisingly picked in the 7th round by Gillis seven years ago.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'd liked the discussion on the 33rd overall pick better. Sigh.

I normally throw out the take the best player available thing but unlike the 33rd where there is likely a first round faller to point to, this is more difficult and you are going to have some equal players. I'd like them to take a skilled forward as I think with the Shinkaruk and McCann trades they've really hurt that aspect of the organization (the traded picks don't help) and I don't ever count on every prospect turning out. They need more skill in the organization because as much as we like Boeser, the 5th overall, Virtanen etc. they likely aren't all going to turn out.

Or take a skilled D-man.

I just don't want to see 17-18 year old "role" players.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sean Day is crap. He's a draft bust before even being drafted, and will never be a regular NHL hockey player. People only know his name because his parents pushed the OHL into granting him exceptional status.

Anyway, I read a mock draft that had the Canucks taking Givani Smith in the third round.

Yeah. That's how far we've come. We go from talking about guys like Fabbro, McAvoy, Benson possibly sliding to us in the second round, or other guys who realistically should be available like Carter Hart, Lukas Johansen, etc. to Givani Smith.

**** you Benning!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Normally I'm tuning out the draft after the end of the second round, but then I remember that the Canucks picked up Tryamkin, Brisebois and Cassels in the third round so I guess there's some hope.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Sean Day is crap. He's a draft bust before even being drafted, and will never be a regular NHL hockey player. People only know his name because his parents pushed the OHL into granting him exceptional status.

Anyway, I read a mock draft that had the Canucks taking Givani Smith in the third round.

Yeah. That's how far we've come. We go from talking about guys like Fabbro, McAvoy, Benson possibly sliding to us in the second round, or other guys who realistically should be available like Carter Hart, Lukas Johansen, etc. to Givani Smith.

**** you Benning!

Givani Smith is a Wayne Simmonds clone. Quote me on this, he's gonna be good.

Also, no ****ing chance Fabbro or McAvoy drop to 33rd.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm going to guess that this is Chibisov's pick. If not Russian, we are going QMJHL.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Fun fact about this pick

We originally sent this to NYI for Pedan. It then went to Buffalo for Neuvirth. Then to Pittsburgh as compensation for hiring Bylsma. Then back to us as part of the Sutter trade.

So it went Van - NYI - Buff - Pitts - Van.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Fun fact about this pick

We originally sent this to NYI for Pedan. It then went to Buffalo for Neuvirth. Then to Pittsburgh as compensation for hiring Bylsma. Then back to us as part of the Sutter trade.

Haha yep! Thanks for that.

Your explanation was definitely a lot simpler to understand than Wikipedia's when I first tried to trace the history of this pick

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Fun fact about this pick

I like the "Waiver wire tug of war" we had with the Sens a number of years back with Wade Brookbank.:laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Such a letdown to be looking at this pick instead of #33.

One thing I'll say is that - barring a surprising faller - there really aren't any WHL guys I'd have as major targets here. There are a couple undersized guys I like for later rounds (David Quenneville and Matthew Phillips) but this would be too high for either guy.

Libor Hajek would be a Benning-y sort of guy - great skater, some nice tools - but I'm not a big fan. Sort of a junior version of Bartkowski.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Such a letdown to be looking at this pick instead of #33.

One thing I'll say is that - barring a surprising faller - there really aren't any WHL guys I'd have as major targets here. There are a couple undersized guys I like for later rounds (David Quenneville and Matthew Phillips) but this would be too high for either guy.

Libor Hajek would be a Benning-y sort of guy - great skater, some nice tools - but I'm not a big fan. Sort of a junior version of Bartkowski.

I can kinda see the Bartkowski comp with Hajek, and it's occurred to me a bit as well in the way he can skate and lug the puck around. In that he's an absolutely phenomenal skater, who seems to get a bit lost once he crosses that opposing blueline. He's got a better frame to work with though, and is a lot more of a physical participant i think. Probably a better outlet passer too. And most importantly, less of a chicken with his head cut off defensively.

Not a guy that projects as any kind of real offensive contributor at the next level (though the numbers are hurt by that awful Blades team that couldn't score in general). Hajek just doesn't seem very comfortable or natural at the offensive end of the ice. But i'd be thrilled with him at 64th. Really doubt he makes it near there, but if he does, i'm all for it. If you can get a bigger, less pushed around, less braindead Bartkowski...that's a pretty decent or better NHL defenceman.

The guy he really reminds me of more is John Moore (i know, not the most flattering comp either). Hajek is a bit meaner/grittier, but that same sort of skating ability and frame to cover huge amounts of ice. Kind of leaves you wanting more offensively...like there ought to be more there. Odd sporadic flashes and sparks of walking the line and doing something savvy there...but never catches fire.

I'd expect Benning do a backflip at his table if Hajek was there for him in the 3rd. I don't think Benning can do a backflip, but i bet it would happen, if Hajek is there. A lot of hallmarks of a Benning defender. He's like a supercharged version of "Gilliam" last year - in a draft that doesn't look near as deep into the 3rd round to me.

I'm curious though...asked theFeebs and others about him, and you mentioned undersized WHL players...What do you make of Hajek's teammate Nolan Reid? He's obviously undersized and not overly productive (hint, nobody on that team was ;))...but every time i watched Saskatoon to get a look at Hajek mostly, Reid jumped out at me as a pretty smart little defenceman with a bit of an edge to him. Not as a 64th pick obviously. But draftable? I quite like him as a late round flyer personally. How you figure?

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I can kinda see the Bartkowski comp with Hajek, and it's occurred to me a bit as well in the way he can skate and lug the puck around. In that he's an absolutely phenomenal skater, who seems to get a bit lost once he crosses that opposing blueline. He's got a better frame to work with though, and is a lot more of a physical participant i think. Probably a better outlet passer too. And most importantly, less of a chicken with his head cut off defensively.

Not a guy that projects as any kind of real offensive contributor at the next level (though the numbers are hurt by that awful Blades team that couldn't score in general). Hajek just doesn't seem very comfortable or natural at the offensive end of the ice. But i'd be thrilled with him at 64th. Really doubt he makes it near there, but if he does, i'm all for it. If you can get a bigger, less pushed around, less braindead Bartkowski...that's a pretty decent or better NHL defenceman.

The guy he really reminds me of more is John Moore (i know, not the most flattering comp either). Hajek is a bit meaner/grittier, but that same sort of skating ability and frame to cover huge amounts of ice. Kind of leaves you wanting more offensively...like there ought to be more there. Odd sporadic flashes and sparks of walking the line and doing something savvy there...but never catches fire.

I'd expect Benning do a backflip at his table if Hajek was there for him in the 3rd. I don't think Benning can do a backflip, but i bet it would happen, if Hajek is there. A lot of hallmarks of a Benning defender. He's like a supercharged version of "Gilliam" last year - in a draft that doesn't look near as deep into the 3rd round to me.

I'm curious though...asked theFeebs and others about him, and you mentioned undersized WHL players...What do you make of Hajek's teammate Nolan Reid? He's obviously undersized and not overly productive (hint, nobody on that team was ;))...but every time i watched Saskatoon to get a look at Hajek mostly, Reid jumped out at me as a pretty smart little defenceman with a bit of an edge to him. Not as a 64th pick obviously. But draftable? I quite like him as a late round flyer personally. How you figure?

I like Hajek quite a bit. I would have been totally satisfied with him at 33.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I'm hoping a guy like Adam Fox falls to this juncture. Has all the tools you want in an offensive defenseman. Of course, that's barring any unforseen fallers, of which there will certainly be a couple - a la Bracco or Dunn last year.

Also, this pick is 64 now, after the Coyotes got 53 as Bleackley compensation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad