Special teams

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, special teams has been anything but

PK is 3rd worst (30th in pk%)
PP ranked 20th

Underlying numbers suggest the PK perhaps should be better, our xGA/60 is middle of the pack, for all the complaints about lost draws ending up in the net, we have the 5th best FO% when shorthanded in the league. Sv% is 3rd worst though.

PP has the 13th best xGF/60 but 20th GF/60, so perhaps we could have scored a bit more, but not as big of a gap. With the talent we have, I think we should have better numbers,

It seems like on the PK ever breakdown is in the back of the net, part of that is the quality of the breakdowns, I know xG models are far from perfect, I really do hope we are working on the PK though, I think we can make big gains by tightening up our PK which seems slow to react off a lost draw at times.

Reactions: thinkwild

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
York and Ryan talked a bit about the pp,

They mentioned Sanderson does the drop back too early which makes zone entry harder since it allows the PK to line up, they'd like to see him take a bit more ice to draw in the defending forward a bit

They also talked about how the team misses Chabot, who they feel does more to get guys moving in zone once they're established.

Probably not popular opinions around here, but I agree that Chabot back will help the pp.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
York and Ryan talked a bit about the pp,

They mentioned Sanderson does the drop back too early which makes zone entry harder since it allows the PK to line up, they'd like to see him take a bit more ice to draw in the defending forward a bit

They also talked about how the team misses Chabot, who they feel does more to get guys moving in zone once they're established.

Probably not popular opinions around here, but I agree that Chabot back will help the pp.
There's also a massive experience difference. Chabot has been 1st unit PP since Karlsson left while Sanderson is still a young padawan in that regard.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So, special teams has been anything but

PK is 3rd worst (30th in pk%)
PP ranked 20th

Underlying numbers suggest the PK perhaps should be better, our xGA/60 is middle of the pack, for all the complaints about lost draws ending up in the net, we have the 5th best FO% when shorthanded in the league. Sv% is 3rd worst though.

PP has the 13th best xGF/60 but 20th GF/60, so perhaps we could have scored a bit more, but not as big of a gap. With the talent we have, I think we should have better numbers,

It seems like on the PK ever breakdown is in the back of the net, part of that is the quality of the breakdowns, I know xG models are far from perfect, I really do hope we are working on the PK though, I think we can make big gains by tightening up our PK which seems slow to react off a lost draw at times.
Making a mistake and it ending up in our net seems like it happens more than it should. I know it's not just goaltending but man, seems like everytime we screw up it's in the net

Reactions: Micklebot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They pass the puck around and around and get 1 or 2 shots on the pp.
On the PP, the players do not move around enough and do not attack the net through the seams. It's too static and predictable. It was operating well before for a time but seems to have gone back to this stagnant approach.

On the PK, our D are too soft and do not clear the crease and take guys out in front of the net. Other teams are knocking our Fs down. Our D don't.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
DJ said 7 months ago they need to be at 105% PK and PP combined to have a chance
They are at 91% atm
That's a massive fail compared to last year 103% ish

"DJ Smith spoke about special teams specifically, wanting to near a combined 105% and it could be stated that the Senators did get close. With a power play percentage of 23.9% so far and a penalty kill percentage of 80.08%, the Senators achieved a combined 103.98% on special teams. This is 1.02% away from his goal, but it’s close enough in my opinion to call it an achieved goal."

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad