Special Teams

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I know 10 games in the special teams have seen some improvement , but at same time a little alarming . The PP has been dropping lately and is now 11th , once teams start breaking more video down on the all lefty set up it will drop even more Imo , I hope the team at least in practice has tried some right shots on top unit , The Pk sits 20th overall right now , both these PP and PK units need improvement Imo, and far from the cream of the crop . What are your thoughts on this ?

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Strangely, I feel the PP has looked better the last few games and are not getting the results, as opposed to looking worse and getting the results. Although, never disagree with the thought that things would be better if they improve.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
PP has looked very solid recently. Had a few shifts where they dominated Nashville.

PK has been average recently.

Reactions: VainGretzky

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Still dont really love the PP. They are scoring but not sure its sustainable. Some of the goals are off the rush rather than a good structure. I dont like Lucic on the PP1, and I would of liked to see Bouchard on the PP1 (or Bear). Too much stubborness for me.

Have less of an issue with the PK (even though the stats are worse). Seems to be getting better. I think sticks in lanes are getting better. Goaltending been better. Teams been getting better getting the puck out of the zone. I still dont love their ability to win the puck on the boards, thats one worry.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I know 10 games in the special teams have seen some improvement , but at same time a little alarming . The PP has been dropping lately and is now 11th , once teams start breaking more video down on the all lefty set up it will drop even more Imo , I hope the team at least in practice has tried some right shots on top unit , The Pk sits 20th overall right now , both these PP and PK units need improvement Imo, and far from the cream of the crop . What are your thoughts on this ?

winnipeg and nashville use all right hand shot PP's and they are successful. the oilers version is a reverse copy of that PP unit.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just put one right shot on the PP. Swap Milan “where plays go to die” Lucic with any of the right shots on the 2nd unit.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Just put one right shot on the PP. Swap Milan “where plays go to die” Lucic with any of the right shots on the 2nd unit.
Lucic's spot on the PP needs to be a lefty for the low-high play to remain an option (see Draisaitl's first goal against the Preds or any goal scored by Oshie on Washington's PP). Ideally, one would want RNH or Draisaitl to be right shots on the PP to take better advantage of one-timers from McDavid.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
The simple thing to try is to play :] in the net front bumper spot currently occupied by Lucic. He can rotate within the slot depending if puck is high or low in the zone. At least you have a one timer threat that way which would force defenders to collapse in a bit. Currently opposition teams aren't worried about the middle of the ice at all and can play aggressively because of that.

Reactions: VainGretzky

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
As I expected the PP would start dropping , it really has not changed at all since last season and the 2nd unit is worse , enough of the all lefty Bull shit and the PK needs better forward speed on it to knock pucks away We now have 15th PP at 21.8 percent and the 28th worst pk at a joke at 69% and trending very fast to be the worst in league and at home again. And mty fear is TMAC the stubborn fool will keep going with the fail till it hurts the club to no return.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
As I expected the PP would start dropping , it really has not changed at all since last season and the 2nd unit is worse , enough of the all lefty Bull **** and the PK needs better forward speed on it to knock pucks away We now have 15th PP at 21.8 percent and the 28th worst pk at a joke at 69% and trending very fast to be the worst in league and at home again. And mty fear is TMAC the stubborn fool will keep going with the fail till it hurts the club to no return.

Our pp is the perfect storm of crap.

5 LH shots, not a single one likes to shoot. Still gets okay results because the best player in the world is on it so Todd can justify it in his stubborn head.

Meanwhile the second unit features a handful of sub 20 point players who can't hit the broad side of a barn, and whos idea of gaining the zone is dump and watch as the other team brings it into your zone.

I see no reason why McDavid isn't playing a full 2 minutes on the PP.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Our pp is the perfect storm of crap.

5 LH shots, not a single one likes to shoot. Still gets okay results because the best player in the world is on it so Todd can justify it in his stubborn head.

Meanwhile the second unit features a handful of sub 20 point players who can't hit the broad side of a barn, and whos idea of gaining the zone is dump and watch as the other team brings it into your zone.

I see no reason why McDavid isn't playing a full 2 minutes on the PP.

Mcdoofus does not seem to think spreading out talented players to 2 PP units is a thing.

The thing is the Oilers have enough skill to make 2 decent units with equal left and right shots. They just need to get Lucic off the PP permanently.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Mcdoofus does not seem to think spreading out talented players to 2 PP units is a thing.

The thing is the Oilers have enough skill to make 2 decent units with equal left and right shots. They just need to get Lucic off the PP permanently.
When healthy and Bouchard sent down

Rattie - McDavid - Draisaitl
Bear - Rieder

Yamamoto - RNH - Lucic
Strome - Klefbom

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
When healthy and Bouchard sent down

Rattie - McDavid - Draisaitl
Bear - Rieder

Yamamoto - RNH - Lucic
Strome - Klefbom

Replace Strome with Nurse, need 2 competent D men on the point. 4 forwards always pissed me off to no end and i don't get why coaches are in love with this. Modern day forwards in the NHL aren't creative or good enough to be point men and the powerplays all look average. Klefbom has a bullet, just tell him to go Brent Burns and start shooting as often as he can and fluke out some goals, nobody else is getting it done other than Mcdavid. Nurse can be the distributor between those 2 on the first or second unit.

I like your lines though, minus Strome.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Replace Strome with Nurse, need 2 competent D men on the point. 4 forwards always pissed me off to no end and i don't get why coaches are in love with this. Modern day forwards in the NHL aren't creative or good enough to be point men and the powerplays all look average. Klefbom has a bullet, just tell him to go Brent Burns and start shooting as often as he can and fluke out some goals, nobody else is getting it done other than Mcdavid. Nurse can be the distributor between those 2 on the first or sescond unit.

I like your lines though, minus Strome.
I'm not a huge fan of having Nurse on the PP. His shot can be good and he is a good skater but his offensive instincts are far to often bad rather than good.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Its already confirmed Viveiros isn't the PP coach which makes you go WTF considering they went after him for his PP coaching abilities. This PP is clearly ran by Gulutzan who also ran a shit PP for the flames. Enough of it. Put Benning on the point, and place an actual shooter like JP. Too many perimeter passing and same old usage of 97 passing the puck to the front. 5 powerplays of the same old crap.

Moregoalspls

Nov 24, 2017
There is absolutely no threat of a consistent one time shot any where on this team. Nevermind a one time slap shot. It's the same story every year with this team. Just no finishers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad