Special Teams

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If you can't design a capable PP with McDavid on it you don't deserve a job in the NHL. Is Gulutzan in charge or what?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If you can't design a capable PP with McDavid on it you don't deserve a job in the NHL. Is Gulutzan in charge or what?

Yes, he is. Manny still isn't running it for some unknown reason. Gregor will ask about it by the following days apparently.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I know Hitch said that you can't rely on the power play to win games and I agree, but it could have won the game tonight. Sometimes you have to f***ing score on it. Let's aim for at least 20% of the time.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
In regards to the powerplay, it's the 2nd PP Unit. The main unit produces in spurts, like most 1st unit PP's, but our 2nd unit is just really bad. I think the 1st unit is way too loaded up and needs to be balanced with the 2nd unit a little bit. Also, like Hitchcock said post-game, they need to be moving their feet all the time and get in the prime areas like the slot, as the cliche goes. Too much perimeter pinball play, that's predictable and ineffective.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We havent had a good PP since Sekera went down.

You need a blueline threat that can pass or get the puck through fast.

Bouchard will fix it next year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Hitch wants to save our GM's job and give himself a chance at a 1-2 year contract extension, he should tend to the PP.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if i am coaching the oilers PP the very first thing i do is tell mcdavid not to stand static on the half wall. a stationary mcdavid is a waste. let him and nuge move around their sides and go anywhere they please. then its up to the other 3 guys to get open and create chances. make the Pkers move and force holes instead of passing it around hoping to wait for one.

Reactions: Oilhawks

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I won't write more than this one message about this, but before Chia tries to make a move to get a PP shooter they really need to give Puljujarvi a go first. Whatever anyone thinks about him that's the one place where he truly shined before the Oilers.

He got a few games at the start of his first season and shot the posts/crossbar a few times. His shot could really open up room for the others and he's quick enough to rush down to help wth the defence when needed. They should at least see what they've got in him as the team really needs a shooter who could also help with QB'ing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The only success our first PP had was off the rush, once they setup then you know they're probably not going to score. I'd mix up the personal and try to balance out both units.

JP-Chaisson-Draisaitl
Benning(Klef)-Mcdavid

Zykov-Lucic-Spooner
Nurse(Sekera)-RNH

Reactions: GameChanger

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Have we tried a right shot lw on our first unit yet? I’ve lost count of how many tape to tape perfect 1t passes Nuge got, only for him to rifle it at the goalies logo after he’s had the time to position himself. I think 97’s lines are better without Chiasson, Connor isn’t shooting as much anymore. Chiasson has found a way to score with any line so far too...

I still wish Pulju was given 1PP time, all he has to do is glide around waiting for the inevitable feed from McDavid or Drai/Nuge and hammer away. Pulju was crazy hungry for 1ts coming into the league lol. Looch was gifted 1PP time, couldn’t score and has a joke net presence game.

Pulju is naturally a pure shooter. Give him 1/2 the opportunities Looch has had this season, who knows what could’ve happened to his game by now, it’s worth a try in my opinion. I don’t see how it can get worse when we don’t score anyway.

My wish for our PP next season would be both units utilizing Bouch, Pulju, Bear (hopeful that he overcomes injuries, ups his game,) and Klefbombs. Our PP’s would be a shooting gallery :laugh:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I say we try this:

------------NET-----------
---------Chiasson-----Draisaitl
Pulju ----------------------
-------------------------McDavid
----------Defencemen----

Let McDavid roam around a little bit, Puljujarvi and Draisaitl are both available for one - timers.

And they can do the tic-tac-toe goal that the Jets do if Chiasson drifts back.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
if i am coaching the oilers PP the very first thing i do is tell mcdavid not to stand static on the half wall. a stationary mcdavid is a waste. let him and nuge move around their sides and go anywhere they please. then its up to the other 3 guys to get open and create chances. make the Pkers move and force holes instead of passing it around hoping to wait for one.
I agree. A stationary McDavid is just a really good playmaker. A moving McDavid is a generational superstar.

Also, Pulju should be tried on the LW shooting position as others have said. If not for any other reason than to see how he would do in a position that he has excelled in in the past.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I agree. A stationary McDavid is just a really good playmaker. A moving McDavid is a generational superstar.

Also, Pulju should be tried on the LW shooting position as others have said. If not for any other reason than to see how he would do in a position that he has excelled in in the past.

I apologize I've mentioned this before, but AFAIK the last time they tried Puljujarvi on his own spot was over a year ago at the end of the preseason. I didn't watch the games, but from all I read I understand the experience lasted one (3rd) period. Here's the comments over here about that:

Jesse looks good on the point on that second PP.

Pulju QBing the second PP unit there. Not looking too bad at all controlling the puck there.

Good passing by Pulj on the PP.

I watched the last 10 minutes of game so not much to comment other than Pulju looked confident on that PP. Good to see.

I only watched the third period but Pulju looked great, IMO.

They should finally give it a go as I hope and believe it could help the PP unit get more out of players like McDavid and Drai, too.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

the crazy part is they had Letestu in that spot when the PP was humming. JP98 is a significantly better shooter AND can make plays and control the puck. Anyone whos ever coached hockey or has watched the game long enough knows that the ideal person in that spot is RH shooter and there is an ideal one on our orster and we dont use him. its almost baffling.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Watched the Bruin/Anaheim game tonight and Boston's PP is a work of art. The puck never stays on anyone's stick for more than a millisecond. Quick decisions all of the ice. But the biggest thing for me is the work from the back end, whether it's McAvoy or Krug, but mostly Krug. Great shot and puck mover. Gawd, it would be awesome to have a guy like that. Combine it with the quick puck movement and you have a recipe for success.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Watched the Bruin/Anaheim game tonight and Boston's PP is a work of art. The puck never stays on anyone's stick for more than a millisecond. Quick decisions all of the ice. But the biggest thing for me is the work from the back end, whether it's McAvoy or Krug, but mostly Krug. Great shot and puck mover. Gawd, it would be awesome to have a guy like that. Combine it with the quick puck movement and you have a recipe for success.
Whenever I watch the Bruins I'm always admiring the PP.

They are constantly moving too. Pastrnak and Marchand will switch sides on the ice mid PP. I always say if McDavid and Draisaitl did this no team in the league could stop them. But instead everyone stands in one spot.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
the crazy part is they had Letestu in that spot when the PP was humming. JP98 is a significantly better shooter AND can make plays and control the puck. Anyone whos ever coached hockey or has watched the game long enough knows that the ideal person in that spot is RH shooter and there is an ideal one on our orster and we dont use him. its almost baffling.

My only concern with JP on the powerplay is that he sometimes rushes his passes when the play isn't there which on a PP often leads to 20 seconds off the clock. However, if they can get him settled on the powerplay, it would help the rest of his game.

At this point it is certainly worth a prolonged try as I suspect it will help slow the game down a bit for him to improve his vision. The results may be ugly for awhile, but the current group is only at 10% over the last 10 games (all three goals came within a short streak where they went 3 of 4), and I suspect 5+ games for him on the main unit would pay dividends in the long run.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Whenever I watch the Bruins I'm always admiring the PP.

They are constantly moving too. Pastrnak and Marchand will switch sides on the ice mid PP. I always say if McDavid and Draisaitl did this no team in the league could stop them. But instead everyone stands in one spot.

Not only do they stand in one spot they usually stand right next to each other. The only time the PP actually seems to create anything is when Nuge gets the puck on the left side and he either sets up the point man for a one timer or else gets it cross ice to Drai for a one timer.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I’d like to see them switch things up.

Unit 1
McDavid
Drai
Puljujarvi
Chia’sson
Klef/Nurse

Unit 2