Line Combos: Special Teams -- PP and PK Unit Discusion

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I want a loaded top PP.

Matthews - Tavares - Nylander
Rielly - Marner

Give them ~3/4 of the PP time, and some good offensive schemes, they’ll dominate. We still have enough skill left over to have an acceptable 2nd PP (Barrie, Johnsson, Spezza, Kapanen, etc.).

Marner on the point makes no sense, IMO.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
hyman-matthews-nylander
rielly- spezza

johnsson-tavares-marner
barrie - kapanen

hyman-matthews
rielly-ceci

kerfoot-kapanen
muzzin-dermoot

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
PP1
Your 5 best offensive players

PP2
Your next 5 best offensive players

Unit 1 should play the majority of the time.

Stop thinking and over coaching

Reactions: ponder

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Well there will obviously be a change to the top unit because Kadri is gone.

That being said I don't think players on the unit is specifically the issue, it's the system and the coaching that were the issue.

I imagine we'll see some adjustments there to start with. If that doesn't work they can make bigger changes. No need to completely blow the PP up.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Teams are just going to play a very tight box again and close off all passing lanes and let Rielly take a wrist shot from the point ... It's possible the #2 unit will be more successful ... lets see how long it takes the new coach to change the PP

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
To be perfectly honest for this year, at least for a while I would just like to see Toronto roll out its regular first and second lines as the powerplay groups.
I also dont want Hyman anywhere near the top two forward lines so that solves one major problem, which is why he doesnt do PPs.

This year we have Barrie who may be even better at running a PP unit than Reilly which is incredible honestly. So why not just seamlessly roll out our top two lines which can score constantly at 5 on 5, each with their own top notch quarterback and then dont worry about who has to come on next and what lines are mixed up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seeing that Barrie and Rielly are now together on the top unit.
Love it, 5 guys with insane skill.
They need to play the whole 2 minutes though.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The thing with that is that Babcock likes guys to fit into roles and I think Muzzin is going to be his primary PK LD...

Fair point. I'm just thinking back to last season, and Muzzin was utilized there at times. Assuming the third pairing ends up being Sandin-Marincin, I could also see any of the starting six spending time on the PK, aside from Barrie (edit: not sure about Sandin as much with Rielly/Muzzin/Ceci/Marincin around). I think Dermott would be another when he returns.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Seeing that Barrie and Rielly are now together on the top unit.
Love it, 5 guys with insane skill.
They need to play the whole 2 minutes though.
Very true sire. Thanks for the comment, this should be risen all the way to the top like fat joe. Right now. We have the most best PP in the world with matthews - tavares - marner - barrie - rielly. Thank you coach babcock. They already training it again. We will win a whole lot a games and still score-a-lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad