Line Combos: Special Teams -- PP and PK Unit Discusion

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It won't be long until we find out what our Special Teams will start to look like, but in the mean time, we can share thoughts and ideas.

I really hope we go back to the 1A 1B PP approach, where both units really push eachother. The thing with our team now, we have better offensive depth (IMO), AND both units can be completely different strategically which will make it more difficult for other teams to prepare for.

I'd like to see the following units:
Unit 1A:
Spezza-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-Rielly

Unit 1B:
Nylander-Kapanen-Matthews
Barrie-Muzzin

PK is still largely up in the air based on roster decisions, but my stab at it would be:

Agostino-Hyman
Harpur-Ceci

Kapanen-Marner/Spezza
Muzzin-Dermott/Rielly

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
The new assistant coach we brought in loaded up Florida's top PP and it dominated so that's what I suspect we will do.

Only questions for me are which of Rielly or Barrie get the dman spot and whether Nylander replaces Kadri or gets held back on the second unit again.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Nylander to PP #2

Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Johnson, Rielly PP1
Nylander, Spezza, Kerfoot, Barrie, Muzzin PP2

Shore, Hyman, Mikheyev, Kapanen, Marner, Moore, Agostino all rotate in to play PK mins.
D are Muzzin, Rielly, Ceci, Harpur/Marincin/Dermott - depending on who is in the lineup.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The new assistant coach we brought in loaded up Florida's top PP and it dominated so that's what I suspect we will do.

Only questions for me are which of Rielly or Barrie get the dman spot and whether Nylander replaces Kadri or gets held back on the second unit again.
I think this gets a bit overstated. He loaded up Florida's top PP unit, but that's rather natural since they had a natural group of five with a clear step down to the rest. We might end up with a guy who actually led the league in PP primary points per minute on our second unit either way, and we'll definitely have one of the best PP point guys there.

Reactions: MyBudJT

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It won't be long until we find out what our Special Teams will start to look like, but in the mean time, we can share thoughts and ideas.

I really hope we go back to the 1A 1B PP approach, where both units really push eachother. The thing with our team now, we have better offensive depth (IMO), AND both units can be completely different strategically which will make it more difficult for other teams to prepare for.

I'd like to see the following units:
Unit 1A:
Spezza-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-Rielly

Unit 1B:
Nylander-Kapanen-Matthews
Barrie-Muzzin

PK is still largely up in the air based on roster decisions, but my stab at it would be:

Agostino-Hyman
Harpur-Ceci

Kapanen-Marner/Spezza
Muzzin-Dermott/Rielly

I think denying Barrie top PP minutes might go against why they brought him to TOR in the first place.

Is Kerfoot that good that he plays on the 1st PP?

Your PK looks pretty good. :)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think denying Barrie top PP minutes might go against why they brought him to TOR in the first place.

Is Kerfoot that good that he plays on the 1st PP?

Your PK looks pretty good. :)

Whose denying anyone of PP time? Both units would get about the same...

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Florida’s PP was successful, but it might be a mistake to try to carbon copy it here. They were finding absurd success from shots from the point and further out than other successful PP’s that scores from high percentage areas like the circles and slot where Matthews, Tavares and Nylander are going to produce from. Yandle was a one man wrecking crew as a quarterback and it all started with Barkov’s 60% success rate by December on the dot to gain possession.

Not saying the new coach had nothing to do with it, but you need the horses and their style of play needs to support your tactics.

I do think there will be more shots from the point and in general.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
PP1:
Matthews Kapanen Tavares
Barrie Marner

PP2:

Kerfoot Mikheyev Johnsson
Rielly Nylander

Or ideally for PP2:
Bracco Kerfoot Johnsson
Rielly Nylander

Reactions: Leafsman

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Last season's number 1 PP replacing Kadri with Nylander in the high slot. Then Barrie, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen, Spezza on the 2nd unit.

Moore, Kapanen and I don't know who the other bottom 6 forwards are going to be. Add Hyman when he returns. I don't think Marner (and the other $7M+) should be killing penalties very often as expensive forwards shouldn't be subject to point blank shots in the regular season. Muzzin - Ceci is the number 1 pair for PK then Rielly - <3rd pairing right sider>.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
If Matthews isn't going to kill penalties then I don't see why he can't serve double duty on the PP. He should play most, if not all of the PP's (dependent on how many PP's we get in a certain game and how close together they are).

Not sure who would fill in his role on the 2nd unit but maybe that person only gets <30 seconds while Matthews gets >1:30. No one says you have to change the entire unit.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
PP1:
Matthews Kapanen Tavares
Barrie Marner

PP2:

Kerfoot Mikheyev Johnsson
Rielly Nylander

Or ideally for PP2:
Bracco Kerfoot Johnsson
Rielly Nylander
I'd like to see Bracco on the 2nd unit also. He was great on the Marlies PP

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Loaded
Matthews Tavares Nylander
Rielly Marner

Johnsson. Kerfoot. Kapanen
Muzzin. Barrie

#1 should get 60% of the PP time

#2 finishes the PP. Kerfoot is a shot tipper and he and Barrie work well together. Johnsson and Kapanen can clean up in the slot.

Reactions: supermann_98

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Another media dude on twitter mentioned Mitch is playing the Left side, and Matthews the right.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I really like the idea of a behind the net set-up, instead of the traditional 1-3-1 that has dominated the NHL lately.

Something like this for PP1
Nylander /------\ Marner
Tavares
Rielly Matthews

Second unit probably depends on whose playing on the 4th line, but I'd imagine it will certainly include Barrie, Johnsson, & Spezza, and probably Kerfoot & Kapanen, but also possibly a guy like Petan if he secures a lineup spot. Personally, I'd rather see this first unit PP stacked like last season, really get it to become a weapon, like Pittsburgh's PP, and the second unit can play 20-30% of the time, no more of the 50/50 splits.

As for PK...? I'm at a loss. Forwards are relatively straight forward. Hyman, Marner, & Kapanen are all returning. Spezza can go out for draws, and Shore seems like a good PK option, as well as Kerfoot, who is solid defensively. But on defense, it gets rough. Muzzin is likely capable, but the likes of Rielly, Dermott, & Barrie are all known for their weak in-zone defense. Marincin is a good penalty killer if he finds a lineup spot. Ceci historically has been an average PKer, so I'm sure he'll find minutes there. But yeah, it might be a lot of Muzzin & Ceci on the PK.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If you are expecting nylander to get 75+ points he has no chance on some of these 2nd units. We have a clear downgrade after what could be 1 unit.

Jt-matthews-nylander
Rielly-marner

But then Barrie is losing out. We either have to go with split units
Ie: Jt-marner-Rielly +2
Matthews-nylander-Barrie +2

Elite shooter, elite passer, offensive dman on each unit.

Or we need to stack one unit in which case Barrie misses out, we realistically only have 7 elite pp players and need 10 on the 2 units

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
We have the following potential (all likely, except Mikheyev) players for PP:

MatthewsTavares MarnerNylander
RiellyBarrieMuzzinJohnsson
SpezzaKerfootKapanenMikheyev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mikheyev rounds it out at 12 players. Nice and even. I'm not expecting him there but just goes to show you the talent we have on this team. Guaranteed 11 weapons for TWO units. Only need 5 players per unit. Interesting decisions await.

Marner seems to believe he'll play with Matthews most of the year, so that likely means JT, one or both of Rielly/Barrie along with potentially Nylander. That makes the first unit absolutely STACKED!

First PP potential options:

2D (i) Matthews — Tavares — Marner
Rielly — Barrie

1D (ii) Tavares — Matthews — Nylander
Rielly — Marner

Next option is very unlikely - but if we use Spezza (right-shot & great FO ability) solely to help imsulate Matthews to win draws (right side of ice/strong side) on the Matthews PP and then either get off for someone else or play the RD spot as playmaker. That would look like:

(iii) Tavares — Spezza — Matthews
Rielly — Marner

- Potential replacement for Spezza after winning draw could be Nylander or Barrie if you choose to take him off.

Second PP potential options:

2D (i) Johnsson — Kerfoot — Kapanen
Muzzin — Barrie

1D (ii) Johnsson — Spezza — Kapanen — Kerfoot
Muzzin

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Another media dude on twitter mentioned Mitch is playing the Left side, and Matthews the right.

Wow I'm stunned.

Babcock is finally figuring out that your best shooting threat should probably be put in the best spot to... you know... shoot the puck.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I predict Barrie will supplant Rielly as the defensemen on the 1st PP unit.

We would add more value to it with an additional shooting threat.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
PP1 (1:30)
Matthews- Tavares - Marner

Nylander - Barrie / Reilly

PP2 (0:30)
Johnsson - Spezza - Kerfoot

Muzzin - Reilly / Barrie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad