Special Night ruined- Habs lose 2-1

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Selfish Subban.. tssss

Honestly, I don't know which of the two penalties was more ridiculous. On the first one the puck is coming around the boards and he is moving toward the puck to receive it. I am not aware of any NHL rule that requires a player to get out of the way in order that another player can take his place. If Subban were in the high slot moving toward the net to take a pass for a one timer, and his checker were behind him and kind of blocked off from the puck, would he be called for interference there too? No rule was broken.

On the second play, Subban is almost completely immobile, if not completely. The checker initiates contact because he wanted to take an angle of attack on the puck that called for him to occupy the ice that Subban was standing on. The player projects Subban to the ice. That was properly either an Anaheim penalty or a non-call, depending on whether the ref feels that the Duck hit him on purpose or accidentally, and whether the hit was hard enough to be punishable, or if Subban merely lost his balance from a glancing blow. But penalizing a player who did not actively create a moving pick? Another case of no rule being broken. The fact that the call came not from the official nearby but by the one 125 feet away made the team of refs look even more ridiculous.

It looked to me like after Boudreau whined considerably about the interference call against the Ducks on Weise, the refs were trying to make up it, but in no way was that call similar to either call on Subban. Weise had just hit two puck-carrying Ducks CLEANLY, the Ducks felt it was retaliatory for the possibly suspension-worthy hit on Pacioretty and someone went after him. You can't do that. Weise's hits were clean, and retaliation on a guy nowhere near the puck is interference, pure and simple. It was intentional, and it needed to be called to keep the game under control as well. Did Weise go down a bit easy? Maybe, but when you are not carrying the puck, your body is not braced for a hit the same was as when you are. It can take you by surprise and as a result it is not unusual for you to be unable to stay on your feet. They are playing on ice, let's not forget. Ice is slippery!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Call me crazy but that's good news, it means nothing is broken or dislocated. Reminds me of the Buffalo game where he got a slapshot in the stomach. He was back the following day at practice.

I think he will be fine.

Possible concussion and maybe even neck vertebrae to check out. Longshot broken collarbone.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So far, no indication of the potential gravity or fallout from the hit. I'd much rather wait it out than imagine the worst.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Stoner, how about "no comment"?

"I think their team wasn't happy about it," Stoner said. "I didn't mean to hurt him but the game's fast and sometimes guys go into the boards wrong, so I hope he's all right and I didn't mean any intentions to hurt him."

Of course he didn't intend it. Of course the game is fast. However, twas a late hit on the numbers, why not just ****.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Just saw the hit. Might be some kind of back injury? Max was caught looking at his pass in an awkward spot of the ice there.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Not writing this to get sympathy, but my GF's mom just got diagnosed with an inoperable cancer... Might be cheesy but I could have used a victory on Saku's night...

I feel all those other habs fan fighting cancer feel the same, you know.

Best of luck to your GF's Mom Doc!

What a night! Glad I got to see Saku get such an ovation.

I was so happy for Captain K. As many posters pointed out in the GDT, wow there were a lot of onions being cut tonight.

Possible concussion and maybe even neck vertebrae to check out. Longshot broken collarbone.

That was my first thought after seeing the hit. I hope like hell I'm wrong.

BigBlueReg

Dec 5, 2014
England
There's no shame in losing by one goal to the top team in the league in mid December. People act like it's the end of the world because we can't go 82-0-0. Jesus, there's teams that have a lot more issues with fans less highly strung. Relax.

Sucks to lose Max if he's out but at least it isn't April.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Best of luck to your GF's Mom Doc!

I was so happy for Captain K. As many posters pointed out in the GDT, wow there were a lot of onions being cut tonight.

It had to be a neck/back issue as he couldnt straighten up on his way off the ice. Best case scenario it is just a back seizing up like what happened to Boychuk last year. Concussion is possible but not my initial concern when the hit happened.

Nhl refereeing continues to be as bush league as ever.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
There's no shame in losing by one goal to the top team in the league in mid December. People act like it's the end of the world because we can't go 82-0-0. Jesus, there's teams that have a lot more issues with fans less highly strung. Relax.

Sucks to lose Max if he's out but at least it isn't April.

We faced a heavily injured ducks team. The game was winnable.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Not writing this to get sympathy, but my GF's mom just got diagnosed with an inoperable cancer... Might be cheesy but I could have used a victory on Saku's night...

I feel all those other habs fan fighting cancer feel the same, you know.

Hey Doc crappy deal, sadly been through that myself with the wife's mom and its not cheesy, anything that brightens spirits or provides an escape during that time is invaluable - check the brain at the door comedies became a staple for us - hope everything goes as best as it can

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If Eller plays, I'd imagine EGG would be reunited.

I can't take it anymore! Why is Bournival in a top 9? The kids a 4th liner at the very best. Frustrating to watch. He's got the speed and the size, but has no vision or puck skill. Can't handle a pass from Galchenyuk...

I expect Pacioretty to be out for 1-2 weeks. I would love to see the kids line together.

#81-#27-#11 EGG ---> It's actually E-G-G line for real this time :p
#58-#14-#26
#8 -#51-#15
#49-#20-#22

I prefer Lars Alex Brendan. Lab as in chemistry.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He seemed aware right after the hit though. I got a concussion playing Football, and I was foggy for some time. Pacioretty immediately looked, either for numbers or to see where the puck was going

Not saying it won't be, but it just hit me as more likely w collarbone issue.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Plekanec must be wondering why he always get the 4rth line player on his line...

Don't understand why we shuffled the lines after the LA win.

Bournival - Desharnais - Parenteau
Prust- Malhotra - Weise

pretty simple. We do not need Prust on the 3rd and Weise on the 2nd...

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If I had my choice next game

DD-Chucky-Parenteau
Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher
Sekac-Eller-Andrighetto
Prust/Bournival-Malhotra-Weise

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I'm sorry, but I think I've seen just about enough of Malhotra. He wins faceoffs, and then nothing else of value happens. He's becoming an absolute boat anchor on that 4th line. If the shift-from-hell didn't prove that for all to see, I don't know what will.

You've got to have more than one useful skill to play in the NHL, and I'm not sure Malhotra qualifies any more.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Not really, Helm gets his points because he's fast and has decent positioning. Bournival can become a player like Him if he puts it all together. Also Helm didn't have the grit he has now when he first came into the league.

Helm wasn't a monster, but he was way more gritty than Bournival ever was when he first came into this league. As for having better hands and skills, I've watched enough of Helm so I know he's not going to corner himself into taking an angle shot on a 3 on 1 if he gets the opportunity.

People have to understand what we have in our hands. A Tom Pyatt with less defensive awareness and slightly more size.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Plekanec must be wondering why he always get the 4rth line player on his line...

Don't understand why we shuffled the lines after the LA win.

Bournival - Desharnais - Parenteau
Prust- Malhotra - Weise

pretty simple. We do not need Prust on the 3rd and Weise on the 2nd...

Prust played with DD and PAP against LA for most of the night...

kylezzzz

Dec 19, 2013
Honestly, I don't know which of the two penalties was more ridiculous. On the first one the puck is coming around the boards and he is moving toward the puck to receive it. I am not aware of any NHL rule that requires a player to get out of the way in order that another player can take his place. If Subban were in the high slot moving toward the net to take a pass for a one timer, and his checker were behind him and kind of blocked off from the puck, would he be called for interference there too? No rule was broken.

On the second play, Subban is almost completely immobile, if not completely. The checker initiates contact because he wanted to take an angle of attack on the puck that called for him to occupy the ice that Subban was standing on. The player projects Subban to the ice. That was properly either an Anaheim penalty or a non-call, depending on whether the ref feels that the Duck hit him on purpose or accidentally, and whether the hit was hard enough to be punishable, or if Subban merely lost his balance from a glancing blow. But penalizing a player who did not actively create a moving pick? Another case of no rule being broken. The fact that the call came not from the official nearby but by the one 125 feet away made the team of refs look even more ridiculous.

It looked to me like after Boudreau whined considerably about the interference call against the Ducks on Weise, the refs were trying to make up it, but in no way was that call similar to either call on Subban. Weise had just hit two puck-carrying Ducks CLEANLY, the Ducks felt it was retaliatory for the possibly suspension-worthy hit on Pacioretty and someone went after him. You can't do that. Weise's hits were clean, and retaliation on a guy nowhere near the puck is interference, pure and simple. It was intentional, and it needed to be called to keep the game under control as well. Did Weise go down a bit easy? Maybe, but when you are not carrying the puck, your body is not braced for a hit the same was as when you are. It can take you by surprise and as a result it is not unusual for you to be unable to stay on your feet. They are playing on ice, let's not forget. Ice is slippery!

You realize the power play goal DD
scored was right after PK tripped a ducks dman along the boards right?

BigBlueReg

Dec 5, 2014
England
We faced a heavily injured ducks team. The game was winnable.

Yes. But the fact we didn't win isn't a major downer for me. We're still in a healthy position with the unfortunate possibly of Pacioretty being out. We have the Sens and Isles before the break so it should/could be a fairly enjoyable Christmas for us Habs fans.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I really hate Michel Therrien. People say that one AHLer shouldn't make a difference weather you win games or bot but last night it would have.

André-Ghetto should not have been sent down until Eller returned. We had a winning lineup and MT ****ed it up for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad