Special Night ruined- Habs lose 2-1

Maverik

Oct 26, 2006
Malhotra should be kept to help our other Cs work on their faceoff skills in practice, that's about it. Totally useless out there, an absolute black hole on the ice.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
I really hate Michel Therrien. People say that one AHLer shouldn't make a difference weather you win games or bot but last night it would have.

André-Ghetto should not have been sent down until Eller returned. We had a winning lineup and MT ****ed it up for no reason.

And obviously Therrien is responsible for promoting and demoting players...

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Helm wasn't a monster, but he was way more gritty than Bournival ever was when he first came into this league. As for having better hands and skills, I've watched enough of Helm so I know he's not going to corner himself into taking an angle shot on a 3 on 1 if he gets the opportunity.

People have to understand what we have in our hands. A Tom Pyatt with less defensive awareness and slightly more size.

Pretty much. At least with Pyatt you knew the puck was leaving the zone.

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
Malhotra should be kept to help our other Cs work on their faceoff skills in practice, that's about it. Totally useless out there, an absolute black hole on the ice.

He might be worse than Moen offensively. Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Eller, Desharnais. We suddenly have very good center depth.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Honestly, I don't know which of the two penalties was more ridiculous. On the first one the puck is coming around the boards and he is moving toward the puck to receive it. I am not aware of any NHL rule that requires a player to get out of the way in order that another player can take his place. If Subban were in the high slot moving toward the net to take a pass for a one timer, and his checker were behind him and kind of blocked off from the puck, would he be called for interference there too? No rule was broken.

On the second play, Subban is almost completely immobile, if not completely. The checker initiates contact because he wanted to take an angle of attack on the puck that called for him to occupy the ice that Subban was standing on. The player projects Subban to the ice. That was properly either an Anaheim penalty or a non-call, depending on whether the ref feels that the Duck hit him on purpose or accidentally, and whether the hit was hard enough to be punishable, or if Subban merely lost his balance from a glancing blow. But penalizing a player who did not actively create a moving pick? Another case of no rule being broken. The fact that the call came not from the official nearby but by the one 125 feet away made the team of refs look even more ridiculous.

It looked to me like after Boudreau whined considerably about the interference call against the Ducks on Weise, the refs were trying to make up it, but in no way was that call similar to either call on Subban. Weise had just hit two puck-carrying Ducks CLEANLY, the Ducks felt it was retaliatory for the possibly suspension-worthy hit on Pacioretty and someone went after him. You can't do that. Weise's hits were clean, and retaliation on a guy nowhere near the puck is interference, pure and simple. It was intentional, and it needed to be called to keep the game under control as well. Did Weise go down a bit easy? Maybe, but when you are not carrying the puck, your body is not braced for a hit the same was as when you are. It can take you by surprise and as a result it is not unusual for you to be unable to stay on your feet. They are playing on ice, let's not forget. Ice is slippery!

The first one seemed pretty borderline to me. It's a board battle, PK initiated like a second before the puck got there, really, let them go at it. This is the type of call you can let go. If you make this a penalty, then you need to be consistent. Anything that can come close to a penalty should be called. There's no grey area.

The last one, it was pretty evident PK was trying to draw a penalty. He just failed.
You could have given an interference to Smith-Pelley because there's no doubt to me he saw PK, but I would have given a dive to PK for selling it. That is assuming penalties were to be given.
Personally I would have let the play continue and not called anything.

Me it's more about not calling a penalty on the Max hit. You even have a screen shot of the ref looking straight at him. Ridiculous that there's no call.

Windymind

Aug 2, 2010
He might be worse than Moen offensively. Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Eller, Desharnais. We suddenly have very good center depth.

Michaël Bournival - Manny Malhotra - Eric Tangradi
Nathan Beaulieu - Tom Gilbert

These forwards with this defense cannot be put at the same time on the ice... if shows that the depth is weak there.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
that was just a terrible hockey game to watch.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

These forwards with this defense cannot be put at the same time on the ice... if shows that the depth is weak there.

Malhotra and Tangradi can't do anything with the puck.

For all the faceoffs win % Malhotra is good for, he's just terrible in every other aspects of the game. Really mind boggling he gets that much love 'round here. And Tangradi needs to get buried down in Hamilton. Promote guys that can make short passes and chips on the boards to get the puck outta the defensive zone for Christ sake. Basically, Habs lost yesterday because of one shift of that pathetic line in the first, when Tangradi decided to ice the puck twice. Poor Bournival, the guy dosen't deserve such pathetic linemates.

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario

I don't see anything terribly wrong with Beaulieu and Gilbert together. That shift was on the forwards not winning a single puck battle and icing the puck when they had opportunities to clear the zone.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It was a weak call, especially with the time left in the game but that shift was a comedy between Markov and Subban.

It was a reputation call, PK diving to try to sell the call for him didn't help either.

It doesn't really matter cause we were not able to generate any offense in the 3rd but pk is not at fault here.

After missing the obvious call on the hit against Patch the refs should have stored their whistle for the remaining of the game. That's what NHL refs do 99.999999999% of the time.

For one late 3rd period calls are very rare. For two when a ref miss an obvious call he will try to compensate.

How many games this year did we have more pp than the other team?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...usPenaltyKillSeconds&viewName=penaltyKillTime

We are not even close to the 29th position in the PP minus PK time stat.

That was a bad call by the ref specially after missing the hit on Patch.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Watching the replay, looked like Pax spent a little too long looking at the pass he had just made. Still, he was in a vulnerable position and in an odd angle from where Stoner nailed him. Doesn't excuse the boarding that took place.

To me, the NHL blames the victim. He was a prone position, head down, etc, hence why a penalty should not be called. The onus is always on the player committing the act.

In this case the puck was already near the blueline and the play was going back up the ice. He was not fair play for a hit, IMHO. It should have been a five minute major. But, we all know how inconsistent the officiating is in this league.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Close game with 2 hot goalies, goals will be scared. Difference was the two open nets missed (Galchenyuk & Gallagher), and then that brutal 3-4 minute stretch (felt like that long, maybe less) with our bad 4th line pinned in the D zone. Could've been the Habs winning 2-1 if you changed that up, oh well.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Is there a video of PK's penalties somewhere? I saw the replay on TV last night and I thought I must have missed something as I didn't understand it at all. I guess I'm not the only one. Anyway would like to see it again (the last minute one) but all the recaps I've seen have only had the goals and the hit on Max.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

We are heading towards a DD centered 4th...
Which happens to be exactly where I projected him to wind up.
MM is a utility player at best. Play him on the wing some and keep him fresh for the Post Season.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Is there a video of PK's penalties somewhere? I saw the replay on TV last night and I thought I must have missed something as I didn't understand it at all. I guess I'm not the only one. Anyway would like to see it again (the last minute one) but all the recaps I've seen have only had the goals and the hit on Max.

One of them was a farce it's as if the ref was saying to PK you have no right to compete for your space.
Just total fn bull. :help:

The other one was debateable PK playing comedy a bit if he doesn't go down on the play he doesn't get called...

Nynja*

The other one was debateable PK playing comedy a bit if he doesn't go down on the play he doesn't get called...

Then call him for unsportsmanlike on the second one, dont say its interference.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013

did tangradi ever see the ice again after his 3min shift in the first period? it looked like a 5 on 3 against with the above mentioned players on at the same time.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
did tangradi ever see the ice again after his 3min shift in the first period? it looked like a 5 on 3 against with the above mentioned players on at the same time.

Yep his line came on in the second for a bit. Played for 5:34 total. Mora than half of that was on the first shift LOL

bigtimehockeyfan999*

are you kiding? koivu was the heart and soul for over 10 years for the habs and he played his best years there, he's a monument for the montreal canadiens history. In anaheim he was a 3th liner , do the math.

..........:p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad