Post-Game Talk: Southern Fried Penguins | Preds Win 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We are tied 2-2 in a Stanley Cup Finals and I am reading fans are embarrassed. Get real. There are 14 other teams in the Eastern Conference that would love to be here.

Why do people focus on like 1 or 2 posters and act like that's the only discussion going on, but don't focus on the actual discussion about what's going wrong/what needs to change in order to win Games 5, 6 and 7?

It's like:

2 posters: "I'm embarrassed to be a fan of this team! I hope they lose."

2000 posters: "This is what went wrong, this is what needs to be fixed, etc."

And then someone randomly comes in with "I can't believe so many people are talking about being embarrassed to be a fan of this team".

duari91

Apr 12, 2011
Seems like you guys are suffering with something similar to the Ducks.

The one thing I never liked about the Ducks playing the Preds was that they'd expect to score consistently as the game went on.

Against the Preds, you gotta score early, then stay ahead. It's obviously harder than what I suggest, but that's why you have players like Crosby/Malkin/etc. Gotta rely on those guys to control the game and shut them down.

Hopefully you guys do it more efficiently than we did.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
We are tied 2-2 in a Stanley Cup Finals and I am reading fans are embarrassed. Get real. There are 14 other teams in the Eastern Conference that would love to be here.

Yeah crazy. Pens losing this series wouldn't even be the worst five moments in the last decade. Blowing 3-1 leads, Flyers fiasco, 2 goals Bruins series.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Like I said, last night, if Hainsey is in the lineup tomorrow I won't even watch (ok i probably will). He easily had one of the worst games i've seen from a pro D man in 35 years. And what's worse is, Maata wasn't far off.
Well, I definitely won't be watching tomorrow.

Why do people focus on like 1 or 2 posters and act like that's the only discussion going on, but don't focus on the actual discussion about what's going wrong/what needs to change in order to win Games 5, 6 and 7?

It's like:

2 posters: "I'm embarrassed to be a fan of this team! I hope they lose."

2000 posters: "This is what went wrong, this is what needs to be fixed, etc."

And then someone randomly comes in with "I can't believe so many people are talking about being embarrassed to be a fan of this team".
I was just going to post the same thing. It's like there are imaginary posts that people are responding to. :laugh:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Regarding goaltending, anyone who wants MAF in should carefully consider the consequences.

MAF gives up many rebounds. The Preds thrive on rebounds. The Pens respond by collapsing. Breaking out of the zone and covering the points suddenly become that much more difficult. Yes, those same points that drive the Preds' offense and create rebounds...

It plays right into their strengths and I can't imagine it ending well.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Seems like you guys are suffering with something similar to the Ducks.

The one thing I never liked about the Ducks playing the Preds was that they'd expect to score consistently as the game went on.

Against the Preds, you gotta score early, then stay ahead.
It's obviously harder than what I suggest, but that's why you have players like Crosby/Malkin/etc. Gotta rely on those guys to control the game and shut them down.

Hopefully you guys do it more efficiently than we did.

That definitely seems to be the case. We have no problem getting chances and scoring when it's tied or we're ahead. I don't think we scored any goals after being down 2. Preds just seem to play a game of catch me if you can at that point.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Actually it would.

There's nothing worse than choking away a Stanley cup.

They won last year. Doesn't make it any easier. But to me it wouldn't constitute as a " Choke". They had no business being up 2-0 to begin with. " Choking" is reserved for the 04 Yankees, Falcons in the SB, 75 Pens, 10 Bruins, 14 Sharks, 2014 Penguins. Being up 2-0 and losing isn't the same for everyone. The 09 Red Wings were deserving to be up 2-0. I feel they are close to a choke

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That definitely seems to be the case. We have no problem getting chances and scoring when it's tied or we're ahead. I don't think we scored any goals after being down 2. Preds just seem to play a game of catch me if you can at that point.

That's one of the troubling things about this team lately. They were making a habit of being able to come back, no matter how far down they were. But in the playoffs (particularly this series), even a 2-goal deficit seems insurmountable now.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
That's one of the troubling things about this team lately. They were making a habit of being able to come back, no matter how far down they were. But in the playoffs (particularly this series), even a 2-goal deficit seems insurmountable now.

Even last year, I don't recall them ever winning a playoff game they trailed by two. This year they've won two games where they didn't score first. Game 2 & Jackets game 3.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
They won last year. Doesn't make it any easier. But to me it wouldn't constitute as a " Choke". They had no business being up 2-0 to begin with. " Choking" is reserved for the 04 Yankees, Falcons in the SB, 75 Pens, 10 Bruins, 14 Sharks, 2014 Penguins. Being up 2-0 and losing isn't the same for everyone. The 09 Red Wings were deserving to be up 2-0. I feel they are close to a choke

Crosby and Malkin already have a lot of blown series leads, blowing this would cement their legacy as chokers.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
blowing this? Maybe if we lose 4 straight, but if we lose in 7 there's no way this is a choke.

The way they played, do you see them winning another game?

Even if they lose in 7, it's a choke.

Isn't it something like 90 percent of the time, the team with a 2-0 series lead wins the cup?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The way they played, do you see them winning another game?

Even if they lose in 7, it's a choke.

Isn't it something like 90 percent of the time, the team with a 2-0 series lead wins the cup?
Did Detroit choke in 2009?

And yeah, we won 2 already. I expect to win another. Maybe 2.

Seriously, it's two good teams. Splitting the first 4 is pretty typical.
Being 2-0 up and losing 4-2 is a choke. I hope we win the next two. But we HAVE to win on Thursday.

Nobody has lost at home yet. Games are going as expected. And no, we don't have to win on Thursday. No more than we had to win game 5 or 6 against Washington. It woulda been nice, but we clearly didn't have to.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Crosby and Malkin already have a lot of blown series leads, blowing this would cement their legacy as chokers.
tenor.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They already won two cups though. Ovi on the other hand...

Funny thing is, what leads did Sid and Geno 'choke' away.

2010 . . . 2-1 against Montreal . . . uh, Fleury.

2014 . . . 3-1 against New York . . . not sure that was a choke as much as Sid playing with one good wrist and no secondary scoring catching up with them.

So, one lead, technically. Of course, one isn't several, but stupid narratives are stupid for a reason, no? :laugh:

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Not sure why you guys think the Pens got embarrassed last night. Only on the scoreboard. Otherwise it was an even game and I would argue the Penguins had far more quality scoring chances. They just didn't convert. That's what the playoffs come down to, fellas. You finish you win. You don't you lose. Everyone thought the sky was falling when Washington came back from 2-0 and were "outplaying" the Penguins. This team has the heart of a champion. I won't count them out until Nashville has four wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad