Post-Game Talk: Southern Fried Penguins | Preds Win 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Why is there a narrative going around that Murray was bad last night? Which goal should he have stopped? Maybe the wrap-around (though what either defensemen were doing on that play is beyond me)?

He didn't "steal" any goals, but I don't think any were the kind where you can say, "Murray lost us the game on that one".

Rinne was better (and I'd argue luckier), but I don't think Murray was bad like some folks are insisting.

The wrap around was him misreading the play and while I would want my defense to help a bit more there, is 90% on him.

The break away goal was a shot. the guy skated straight at murray and blew it under his glove hand. Is it as bad as the wrap around? no. but it wasn't like the guy made a move or anything. he simply skated straight at murray and put it under his glove. There is no way that murray or any other goalie wouldn't want that goal back.
This from a guy who hadn't scored in like 16 games or so.

In the 3rd period, Murray made some stellar saves. but it was too late. the momentum was fully switched at that point.

If we want to win that game our goalie has to stop both of those shots. end of story. maybe not completely fair but that's part of being a goalie. Also we'd be all over Fleury and *his* glove hand if that breakaway was scored on him.

Game 5 is gonna be mostly about how well Murray plays (right or wrong). We can not play catchup against this team, we have to play with a lead. Our goalie has to be at least as good as the guy in the other crease.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I still don't get how Hainsey returned a 2nd. JR saw enough of him in Carolina to know how useless he is. It's almost as bad as the Douglas Murray trade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The wrap around was him misreading the play and while I would want my defense to help a bit more there, is 90% on him.

The break away goal was a shot. the guy skated straight at murray and blew it under his glove hand. Is it as bad as the wrap around? no. but it wasn't like the guy made a move or anything. he simply skated straight at murray and put it under his glove. There is no way that murray or any other goalie wouldn't want that goal back.
This from a guy who hadn't scored in like 16 games or so.

In the 3rd period, Murray made some stellar saves. but it was too late. the momentum was fully switched at that point.

If we want to win that game our goalie has to stop both of those shots. end of story. maybe not completely fair but that's part of being a goalie. Also we'd be all over Fleury and *his* glove hand if that breakaway was scored on him.

Game 5 is gonna be mostly about how well Murray plays (right or wrong). We can not play catchup against this team, we have to play with a lead. Our goalie has to be at least as good as the guy in the other crease.

I'm going to take your posts with a grain of salt because you've got a habit of dissecting every single goal Murray lets in and describing them as savable. I've never seen someone go into detail on everything a goalie lets in to describe how easy it should have been to save.

Your description of the breakaway goal by Arvidsson (a 30+ goal man in the regular season, by the way) is a perfect example of that. Apparently Arvidsson just randomly shot and Murray flailed and missed. Couldn't be that a sniper picked a nice spot to put the puck? Nah, that wouldn't fit the narrative of Murray having a weak game.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
Yeah they are much worse in fact... I find it funny that you ripped on all of us for wanting Sprong inserted for a couple games to get his fresh legs in the lineup and because he can score (which was and still sometimes is a problem this team is having) yet you want Warsofsky, Pouliot, Corrado, or Percy to play now? Makes perfect sense

I'll take any one of those guys over Maata and Hainsey. After last night?? After the last two games?? They are pure liabilities. Sprong hasn't played an NHL game this year. When he does get in, he turns the puck over far more than he scores. We don't need offensive talent like that--on a team with Sid, Geno, Kessel, Guentzel, scoring should never be the issue. The chances were there for the taking. Rinne responded. Not getting scored on clearly is--9 goals in 2 games.

So no, Sprong isn't my first addition to the lineup. A defenseman with fresh legs, a willingness to stand up Predator forwards who have barely been touched all series long and a penchant for possessing the puck instead of batting around at it in their own end would be a welcomed addition. Are you telling me that none of those guys--Corrado, Erixon, Percy, Poulliot, Warsofsky--can bring any of that? I don't agree.

I can't tell you who is the best choice, but if the three musketeers play the same way in game 5, the pink slips will and should be handed out. It was beyond pathetic. They looked like a bunch of PeeWees out there in a non checking league with their sticks upside down. I just can't watch that again. Its literally painful. Fresh faces on defense are sorely needed. Hell, even one of them would help.

Maybe 2 days rest will do the trick. I hope so.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Now that emotions have subsided, figured I'd discuss some things. All things considered, Pens are tied 2-2 in the Stanley Cup Final. With home ice advantage, mind you. I guess what's most frustrating to me is how they've lost the past two games. Even if they blow the series after being up 2-0, I could live with that. Would still be bummed, but I could live with it. What I can't accept however, if HOW they're losing. THEY HAVE MORE TO GIVE. I don't get it. There's nothing else to hold back for. Has Nashville been the better team? Sure, but the Pens HAVE MORE. That's all there is to it. Hopefully find their hearts Thursday night. Thought on individual players and aspects of the game.

1) Hainsey should never play another game in a Penguins uniform. I don't see how Sullivan doesn't notice how terrible he is. And if he is going to play, why give him the top TOI??!! No D-Man has been great this series, but hell, ANYONE deserves more time than him.

2) Maatta is an immense liability at this point. Unfortunately there are no other options. Neither he nor Hainsey are going to be sat for Ruhwedel. You people calling for Streit to play, I'm sorry, but I respectfully and strongly disagree with him playing.

3) PP continues to be trash. At least last night they tried to shoot the puck. PK finally showed up last night. Hope it continues.

4) I still don't know why Sullivan won't play Rust w/ Malkin. He looks lost playing with Sid. I feel that line is a thing because of a good three-game stretch in January. I just don't get it. Even Sheary on the top line is a better option. I never post my ideal line combos, but I figure what the heck. I'd like to see this (ideally, Kunitz is scratched, but we know that's not happening):

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kessel - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - Cullen - Sheary
Kunitz - Rowney - Wilson/Archibald

Would rather see Archibald in for any of Kunitz, Rowney or Wilson. I think Wilson will be back in the lineup, though. Rowney is adding nothing right now. He's busting his butt and I can respect that, but his physicality has been useless in the SCF, as Nashville is simply doing what Pittsburgh did last year: avoid big checks by utiilizing superior speed. I think he stays in the lineup in Bonino's absence however, due to his play on the PK.

5) Speaking of Bonino, is he really that important? I mean, he goes out and look what happens. I didn't really expect that. Not sure how much of it is related to his absence, but it would certainly be nice to have him back at some point. Unfortunately, not expecting that at this point.

6) Kessel. Dude has to be hurt. Yeah yeah, he's producing as far as points go, but at ES, he's done next to nothing these playoffs. And he really wasn't that good in the regular season.

7) Malkin. We need to see Beast Mode Geno the rest of the series. I'm talking Ottawa Game 6 Geno or 2009 ECF Geno.

I know I'm all over the place, but just wanted to rant a bit. Can't wait for Thursday. Unfortunately I have range training from 3p-9P, so I'm gonna be super nervous shooting at things all day. Although last year when I had the same training, it was Game 6 of the Washington series and Game 7 of the ECF. Good omen? Hopefully!

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
6) Kessel. Dude has to be hurt. Yeah yeah, he's producing as far as points go, but at ES, he's done next to nothing these playoffs. And he really wasn't that good in the regular season.

Definitely time for this guy to contribute some more goals.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Cullen-Archibald
Kunitz-Rowney-Sheary

If Bones isn't ready to go

Dumo-Schultz
Maatta-Daley
Cole-Ruh

Hainsey deserves to sit

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
i'll take any one of those guys over maata and hainsey. After last night?? After the last two games?? They are pure liabilities. sprong hasn't played an nhl game this year. When he does get in, he turns the puck over far more than he scores. we don't need offensive talent like that--on a team with sid, geno, kessel, guentzel, scoring should never be the issue. The chances were there for the taking. Rinne responded. Not getting scored on clearly is--9 goals in 2 games.

So no, sprong isn't my first addition to the lineup. A defenseman with fresh legs, a willingness to stand up predator forwards who have barely been touched all series long and a penchant for possessing the puck instead of batting around at it in their own end would be a welcomed addition. Are you telling me that none of those guys--corrado, erixon, percy, poulliot, warsofsky--can bring any of that? I don't agree.

I can't tell you who is the best choice, but if the three musketeers play the same way in game 5, the pink slips will and should be handed out. It was beyond pathetic. They looked like a bunch of peewees out there in a non checking league with their sticks upside down. I just can't watch that again. Its literally painful. Fresh faces on defense are sorely needed. Hell, even one of them would help.

Maybe 2 days rest will do the trick. I hope so.

where did this happen?? Nhl 17?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I'm all for leaving Kessel on the 3rd line, he'll be facing lesser competition. I'd love to see Sprong in but we all know it won't happen.

What I want to see (assuming Bonino* can't play) :

Sheary - Crosby - Archibald
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - Cullen/Bonino* - Kessel
Sprong - Rowney/Cullen* - Hornqvist

What we will see :

Kunitz - Crosby - Rust
Wilson - Malkin - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Cullen - Kessel
Hagelin - Rowney - Kuhn

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'm all for leaving Kessel on the 3rd line, he'll be facing lesser competition. I'd love to see Sprong in but we all know it won't happen.

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust

What we will see :

Kunitz - Crosby - Rust
Hagelin - Rowney - Kuhn

JR wants Sprong to happen...it's going to happen and should have already happened.

Sprong + Jake could have already cemented us our 5th cup. It's so pathetic that talent is sitting while we dress do nothing plugs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust

What we will see :

Kunitz - Crosby - Rust
Hagelin - Rowney - Kuhn

Rust-Geno-Kessel ate Columbus alive. One off game was all the excuse Sully needed to send them away forever. Since then, last 16 games, Geno has taken maybe a half dozen shifts without at least one of Kunitz, Hornqvist, or Wilson-- the three guys who are long term epic fails with him-- affixed to his wing. And yes, I expect at least one of those three with Geno next game. Heck, maybe two, just for fun.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hey - can somebody 'splain to me this - if Nashville is so good, why were they the 16th and last seed in the playoffs? What happened during the regular season? Did they have a lot of injuries or something? What's the deal?

What was the deal with the Pens last year, or the Kings during one of their wins? It's not about who has the best record. It's about who goes into the playoffs hot.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Now watch it listening to this . . .

:laugh:

JR wants Sprong to happen...it's going to happen and should have already happened.

Sprong + Jake could have already cemented us our 5th cup. It's so pathetic that talent is sitting while we dress do nothing plugs.

Sully loves his Wilkes-barre guys. Too bad Sprong didn't play for him. :laugh:

Rust-Geno-Kessel ate Columbus alive. One off game was all the excuse Sully needed to send them away forever. Since then, last 16 games, Geno has taken maybe a half dozen shifts without at least one of Kunitz, Hornqvist, or Wilson-- the three guys who are long term epic fails with him-- affixed to his wing. And yes, I expect at least one of those three with Geno next game. Heck, maybe two, just for fun.

Oh for sure. In Sully's mind Wilson - Malkin - Hornqvist is a thing. Too bad we don't have any forward prospect that could step in :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sully loves his Wilkes-barre guys. Too bad Sprong didn't play for him. :laugh:

Oh for sure. In Sully's mind Wilson - Malkin - Hornqvist is a thing. Too bad we don't have any forward prospect that could step in :sarcasm:

Don't worry, next year in the playoffs, Geno and Sprong should both be getting 16-17 minutes total TOI per game.

EDIT: Make your GIF into a video with the Benny Hill music. PLEASE.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Don't worry, next year in the playoffs, Geno and Sprong should both be getting 16-17 minutes total TOI per game.

EDIT: Make your GIF into a video with the Benny Hill music. PLEASE.

You may be right, but I have a sneaky feeling that HF boards may be moaning "what could have been" come this fall pertaining to Sprong.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
We are tied 2-2 in a Stanley Cup Finals and I am reading fans are embarrassed. Get real. There are 14 other teams in the Eastern Conference that would love to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad