News Article: Source: Krug has received a big offer from KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Things are quiet on the negotiating front with restricted free agents Torey Krug and Reilly Smith and the Boston Bruins.

It doesn’t appear to be a bad thing on first blush given their very limited options as entry level restricted free agents.

As we’ve written about several times this summer, both Krug and Smith can’t sign offer sheets with other NHL teams, aren’t eligible for arbitration and really don’t have many options aside from working something out with the Black and Gold. As a full-fledged restricted free agent, Krug might have been in line for a three year, $10 million bridge deal similar to the contracts signed earlier this summer by Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat down in Tampa Bay.

Given the current situation and Boston’s dire salary cap situation, Krug is probably looking at something more along the lines of a one or two year deal with an average annual value in the $1.5-2.5 million range. Certainly it’s not NHL chump change, but it’s also not an eye-popping figure for a 23-year-old that posted 14 goals and 40 points as a rookie while helping breathe life into the Black and Gold power play.

He also maxed out on rookie salary bonuses last season, and made $1.7 million when it was all said and done.

Peter Chiarelli indicated to reporters earlier this summer that Krug, and Smith, might have to settle for short money next season, and then get rewarded with the bigger, better contract while performing at the same level over the next couple of years.

But perhaps there is one far-flung option for Krug, at least.

A source with knowledge of Krug’s negotiations told CSNNE.com that there’s been a sizable offer made for the defenseman’s services by an unidentified KHL team. The offer, according to the source, included a good chunk of money up front as a signing bonus.

When contacted by CSNNE.com, Krug’s agent, Lewis Gross, wouldn’t confirm, or deny, that the KHL offer existed, and instead offered an apologetic “no comment.â€

Source: Krug has received a big offer from KHL

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
oooo I wonder who this mysterious source is?

It's his agent. Krug has no leverage and his agent is doing everything he can to get him some (even if it's all make believe)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
That is really his only option if he wants to get paid what he thinks he deserves. If he wants to keep playing in the best league in the world and doesn't want to learn to Yodel, he will have to sign whatever Chiarelli decides.

And if he do go play in Siberia (highly unlikely), he'll still be without arbitration rights and won't be able to sign an offer sheet when he'll decide to come back.

Like we all know, he'll sign a cheap 1y deal and get some leverage next year to sign a long term deal.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That is really his only option if he wants to get paid what he thinks he deserves. If he wants to keep playing in the best league in the world and doesn't want to learn to Yodel, he will have to sign whatever Chiarelli decides.

And if he do go play in Siberia (highly unlikely), he'll still be without arbitration rights and won't be able to sign an offer sheet when he'll decide to come back.

Like we all know, he'll sign a cheap 1y deal and get some leverage next year to sign a long term deal.

Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject but if Torey signs a two year deal there, don't the Bruins rights toward him expire if he wants to come back once the two year term is up? I doubt that the B's possession of his NHL rights lasts for more than 2 years.:dunno:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject but if Torey signs a two year deal there, don't the Bruins rights toward him expire if he wants to come back once the two year term is up? I doubt that the B's possession of his NHL rights lasts for more than 2 years.:dunno:

Like soderberg... teams keep rights of euros for a long time.

To me this feels like the mark girodano situation. A 5-6 kid going to khl to prove himself. I dont believe he would want a multi year deal if im correct unless it has an out like sobotka.

I have to confess this rumor doesnt catch me by surpise at all. Ive said from day 1 that these negotiations arent nearly as simple as fans wish for

Wonder Boy

Cam 'n' Cam
Mar 25, 2004
Ancaster, Ontario
I can tell you that Krug will not be signing with a KHL team. I was talking to a scout on the weekend who told me the players are really worried about traveling with all the political unrest over there. Despite the easy money, the players know it comes with a catch.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Would suck for us if true.

Wouldn't blame him though. Russia is a great place. Im sure the banking stuff could be sorted out but its pretty murky right now for sure for an American.

I'd rather live in Russia and get to be the man and log the most minutes of any D man on my team instead of play for a coach who refuses to give me a chance above the third pairing.

Im half Ukrainian though and it looks like the situation is going to take 2-3 years to resolve itself won't happen overnight. Might be tough getting that money back to the USA for a while.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

See, that is the worst mindset for a general manager. If we want to go back to the Sinden days where guys didn't want to play here, that's just how Chiarelli should act, if he wants to build a winning organization he shouldn't nickle and dime guys like you're suggesting.

Krug is a good hockey player, good hockey players get paid.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
See, that is the worst mindset for a general manager. If we want to go back to the Sinden days where guys didn't want to play here, that's just how Chiarelli should act, if he wants to build a winning organization he shouldn't nickle and dime guys like you're suggesting.

But everyone knows that Chia doesn't play that game. Either he signs a player at a decent market price, or not. No in between.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I personally wouldn't take any kind of money to play in that league

Krug is a good ole American boy, he likes it here and so does his bride

He may leave eventually, but to free agency in the nhl

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Like soderberg... teams keep rights of euros for a long time.

To me this feels like the mark girodano situation. A 5-6 kid going to khl to prove himself. I dont believe he would want a multi year deal if im correct unless it has an out like sobotka.

I have to confess this rumor doesnt catch me by surpise at all. Ive said from day 1 that these negotiations arent nearly as simple as fans wish for

Yup.

Krug also is looking at the same exact crap in 12 months time. His negotiations for the season after this one are going to be just as prolonged.

I wouldn't blame him for taking the money hes a small dude and one hit can change everything and we are refusing to let him play above the third pairing keeping him from being a 50+ point guy.

Our fans don't really appreciate Krug or Boychuk sadly. I think its wrong. Most thing the team would be fine if we lost them and it would be a loss like Ference that would have little impact on the ice. Most people think 2 players well into the back 9 of their career in Chara and Seids are more indispensable than Krug and JB.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

and it`s not really Chia`s way of doing business, whole lotta nothing in the article that I`ll guess many NHL players have had, KHL money offered to them

He`s goin nowhere IMO

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I can tell you that Krug will not be signing with a KHL team. I was talking to a scout on the weekend who told me the players are really worried about traveling with all the political unrest over there. Despite the easy money, the players know it comes with a catch.
What political unrest? There are no Ukrainian KHL teams.

It's exactly like saying that European players are afraid of joining Dallas Stars or LA Kings because of the cartels killing people in Mexico.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

He will have to wait for next year for that. There is no money available, he has no leverage but to hold out or go to Siberia.

My guess is a 1y 1.75-2.25M deal.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

maybe if his name was krugovsky it'd be cause for concern. torey krug isn't playing in the KHL.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Most NHL players get "big offers" from the KHL. Funny how one person is "reporting this".

Nothing more than a lame attempt to get clicks and stay relevant.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

It's exactly like saying that European players are afraid of joining Dallas Stars or LA Kings because of the cartels killing people in Mexico.

This. Every day life in Russia is no different than it was before Ukraine overthrew the government and Putin's cronies.

THe banking stuff is somewhat relevant though. US Nationals can't bank at Russian banks right now.

And it could be another 5 years until Ukraine settles down. Im Ukrainian and a lot of this stuff is inevitable and sad frankly but the country has to go through it to break ties with Russia and one day get into the EU. Only thing that will work is peaceful measures however.

Hopefully Russia hosting the Euros in 2016 can be a positive force to get this stuff sorted out. I really want to go and check out Zenits new stadium when/if it is completed.

We don't know what KHL team it is but if they are in Moscow or Petersburg Krug will have the opportunity to live in a much better city than half of the NHL ones.

Who in their right mind would rather live in Edmonton or Columbus than Moscow?

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario

There was a Ukrainian team in the KHL until a fire caused by the unrest scorched a good part of their home arena.

HC Donbass due to an equity stake will return for the 2015/16 KHL season.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
maybe if his name was krugovsky it'd be cause for concern. torey krug isn't playing in the KHL.

he's not- but he did get the offer apparently or contact, and the Bruins are quietly adding David Warsofsky's name here and there as an NHL defenseman (I agree), and he is showing up on prospects lists (Mike Loftus has him ahead of Koko even in The Hockey News issue that hit newstands this week)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad