Souray's Story from Players Tribune

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Colin White had a powerful shot too; the difference was somewhere down the road Souray learned how to put it on goal.

Yup.

Colin White broke many a glass and probably severely damaged many shinpads of other players throughout his career.:laugh:

*Obligatory Colin White bashing post*

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
When I was younger I used to go down for a lot of warm-ups before games and White's shot was one of the harder ones on the team year after year and he didn't have a dramatic wind up either, in fact he hardly had any wind up at all. He only went about 1/4 of the way back.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't Marty say Colin had the most deceptively hard slap shot on the team at one point? Might have been Arnott, but I think it was White. Everyone knew Arnott had a cannon.

It was definitely White he said that about.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Apologies for the bump, but I've been entertaining myself going through the 90s era drafts and remembered a Souray draft day story. At the 2008 Draft, the Red Wings were targeting goalie Thomas McCollum at #30. I remember seeing video of Detroit GM Ken Holland telling another staffer that he was worried that the Devils were aiming for McCollum as we traded down a couple times. Holland then said something along the lines of "Remember when they stole Souray from us?"

I was impressed that Holland still had scars from a mid-round pick from 1994. Until today I didn't know that we traded up to move past Detroit for Souray. Detroit was picking #75 and our pick was #77, Lou would trade up to #71 for Souray and Detroit ended up with somebody who didn't make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad