Souray's Story from Players Tribune

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Great retirement letter/article from Souray: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sheldon-souray-retirement-letter/

First (and best) two thank-yous:

Lou Lamoriello: Thank you for pulling me into your office when I was an out-of-shape 20-year-old kid at his second New Jersey Devils training camp and saying, “If you ever embarrass this organization again by coming in overweight, you will never pull on a Devils sweater.” That was just the ass-kicking that I needed, and the tone you set for the Devils organization is why it is one of the most respected in hockey.

Scott Stevens: Thank you for being the most professional player I’ve ever witnessed. I still can’t believe you jumped in and fought Eric Lindros for me in a freaking preseason game my rookie year. I just wanted to prove to you that I had your back. When I was traded to Montreal in 2000, it was a complete shock. I will never forget that you came to my hotel room and sat and *********** with me for hours until I had to leave for my flight out. You are the definition of what a captain should be.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Awesome stuff.

I always like Souray, especially when he was a Devil.

Too bad he was traded away but the deal helped us win a Cup.

An enjoyable read.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Ken Daneyko: What kind of guy gets called into the GM’s office and is told he’s being sent to down to the minors and replies, “No … No, I’m not.” Then goes out for practice and convinces the brass to send somebody else down instead. You’re a legend, King.

lol - why don't I remember hearing this story before?!?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seems like he's already been retired for a couple years. He hasn't played since the 2013 playoffs. Been on injured reserve the last two seasons.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
it's funny that Souray only had 4 goals with us in 192 games played. That's fewer goals than Larsson in even more games played.

Then he went on to score 103 more in less than 600 more games.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
That Daneyko story is fantastic. Also never heard - though sounds like I just missed it.

Between the Gomer story and Souray's story, it's beginning to sound like there's a good Daneyko book waiting to be written.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
it's funny that Souray only had 4 goals with us in 192 games played. That's fewer goals than Larsson in even more games played.

Then he went on to score 103 more in less than 600 more games.
I remember in Montreal he broke his wrist and came back like the Terminator. His goal scoring just took off and he never looked back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember in Montreal he broke his wrist and came back like the Terminator. His goal scoring just took off and he never looked back.

Yeah he wasn't much of an offensive guy with us. I remembered him not being an offensive threat with us, I guess I just never realized it was that low.

26 points and 4 goals in 192 games as a Devil, if I got that right.

Jon Merrill has 25 points and 4 goals in 118 games.

Adam Larsson has actually played 192 games with us already. He has 6 goals and 51 points. Almost double Souray's points as he had at that point in his career.

Damon Severson has 17 points in 51 games and 4 goals already to match Souray's 4 as a Devil.

Eric Gelinas has 48 points and 13 goals in 122 games.

Even Mark Fayne had 48 points in 272 games as a Devil.

Sheldon Souray probably produced the offense Santini might be projected to produce, at least while Souray was a Devil.

If you would have told me back in 2000 that Sheldon Souray would produce at damn near close to a half a point per game for the remainder of his career, I would have laughed and never seen that coming. I can't even remember any of Souray's 4 goals as a Devil. I'm sure I saw all 4 though.

I thought for sure that Souray would be another second tenure Devil. I wanted to sign him before the 11-12 season when Dallas got him, I'm sure Lou would have signed him on since our offense from the blue line was horrendous at the time, we were just pretty cap strapped. He even looked good after being waived by Edmonton and spending a year in the minors. He wasn't quite a half a point per game player anymore, but it's not like he dropped off the face of the earth either. He was also miles better offensively than anything he did as a Devil.

Souray was probably one of the guys people have cited with the ''The Devils held back guys offensive potential'' rhetoric that we've heard over and over again. Those weren't bad offensive teams he was on though.

Mark Fraser has 12 points in 125 games as a Devil. Souray wasn't quite that bad offensively with us. :laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think I saw one of Sheldon's Devils goals in person at CAA vs the Rags.
Think it was a top shelf wrister too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Souray's shot was much talked about even when he was a Devil. I remember many player interviews joking about how dangerous practice was with Souray on the ice. It was sort of a running joke.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That Daneyko story is fantastic. Also never heard - though sounds like I just missed it.

Between the Gomer story and Souray's story, it's beginning to sound like there's a good Daneyko book waiting to be written.

I would love a book from Lou more than I want a book from Daneyko.

Every time I hear a Lou story like Gomez meeting him in Montrela and him saying this to Souray I'm so intrigued.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I would love a book from Lou more than I want a book from Daneyko.

Every time I hear a Lou story like Gomez meeting him in Montrela and him saying this to Souray I'm so intrigued.

A book from Lou would be incredible. The most interesting thing I've heard involving him is what he went through to bring over Fetisov

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Souray's shot was much talked about even when he was a Devil. I remember many player interviews joking about how dangerous practice was with Souray on the ice. It was sort of a running joke.
Colin White had a powerful shot too; the difference was somewhere down the road Souray learned how to put it on goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->