OT: Souray: To the people of Edmonton

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I don't doubt the Oilers management mismanaged Souray. We're talking about the worst run organization in league history. But it was a severely scummy move by Souray to publicly slam the organization. And whether you or he would like to admit it, it cost him a year in the NHL. There was no way he could be welcomed back into the dressing room after doing what he did. That was on him. At that point there was no other option. If he had kept his request private and acted like a professional he likely would have had an opportunity to play the year in the NHL with the Oilers and raise his value in the eyes of the league and maybe get out of here a little sooner.

Dude acted like a clown, and then once he realized not a team in the league wanted him at his contract he tried to sweep it under the rug and attend training camp like nothing happened. It obviously wasn't going to work that way. It wouldn't have worked that way with any organization in the league.
I agree with most. No matter what someone thinks about management, he shouldn't aact like a clown. In any company, when you do the crap Souray did by publicly complaining to the media, that person will be out the door faster than Souray was.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
“I got challenged by management on the very first day of my first training camp. The very first day. I wasn’t even ready to play when I came here, but it was like, ‘We signed you, you go out and play.’ “I go out, play six games, and I get hurt.â€
I have issue with this and it's very hard to believe. If he was injured, why didn't he say he was injured when he signed the contract. When you go to his bio, there is zero mention of an injury prior to signing. Is this something Souray made up just to thrash management. I wonder.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I have issue with this and it's very hard to believe. If he was injured, why didn't he say he was injured when he signed the contract. When you go to his bio, there is zero mention of an injury prior to signing. Is this something Souray made up just to thrash management. I wonder.
Iirc, he had some issues his last season in Montreal and everyone knew he was banged up. It's been a while but I think that played some part in him not signing until July 12th that year.

His injury status likely wouldn't have been much of a concern to the Oilers at that time anyway. I remember Tambellini talking the day he acquired Ryan Whitney, telling the media he was aware of his leg problems, not seeing it as any problem whatsoever. Pittsburgh and Anaheim (two much better organizations) felt it was a problem and couldn't get rid of him fast enough but Tamby was smarter than both of them. Such a terrible organization at that time.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Iirc, he had some issues his last season in Montreal and everyone knew he was banged up. It's been a while but I think that played some part in him not signing until July 12th that year.

His injury status likely wouldn't have been much of a concern to the Oilers at that time anyway. I remember Tambellini talking the day he acquired Ryan Whitney, telling the media he was aware of his leg problems, not seeing it as any problem whatsoever. Pittsburgh and Anaheim (two much better organizations) felt it was a problem and couldn't get rid of him fast enough but Tamby was smarter than both of them. Such a terrible organization at that time.
Souray also said that when Montreal didn't sign him that he always played through injury. Then suddenly he complained about playing with injury. One question I do have is why did Souray wait 3 years to complain about it? Whitney had high arches which was correctable with surgery. What hurt Whitney is when he got injured hitting a rut on the ice. That's on Northlands. I recall a lot of the Oilers injuries happened on home ice.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I agree with most. No matter what someone thinks about management, he shouldn't aact like a clown. In any company, when you do the crap Souray did by publicly complaining to the media, that person will be out the door faster than Souray was.

I agree. I think things got overblown - because the organization was every bit as unprofessional - but if Souray felt he was being pressed to play before he had recovered enough, isn't that the kind of thing that the NHLPA should be getting involved with, not something to shout out in the media?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I'll go against the grain a bit. Souray never should have publicly come out and slammed management like he did. It was grossly unprofessional. If he wanted to be traded he should have gone about it like a pro and not sewered the organization.

He also sucked two out of the three years he played here and not a team in the league wanted him for free at even 1/2 price after his last season in Edmonton.

Yeah he was awesome that one year. But there is definitely some revisionist history going on in this thread.

Yeah I agree with this as well. It's really too bad it had to end this way.

I met him way back then.... he was one of the nicest players I've ever met.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Is it grossly unprofessional when the organization itself is grossly unprofessional?

Yes it is.

Look, Souray by all accounts is a great dude. And he had an amazing season here. But there's a right way to go about doing things, and a wrong way to go about doing things. He clearly took the wrong route. Cost himself a year in the NHL because of it.

I'm not saying I hold it against him or anything. He had a great career and for a time was a great Oiler. Honestly if you could create a prototype player to add to this team right now, it would probably be pretty damn close to Souray the season he scored 20+ goals and put up 50+ points.

I just don't buy into this narrative that Souray was in the right with what happened. Just because the Oilers were a gong show doesn't mean it was okay to do what he did.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yes it is.

Look, Souray by all accounts is a great dude. And he had an amazing season here. But there's a right way to go about doing things, and a wrong way to go about doing things. He clearly took the wrong route. Cost himself a year in the NHL because of it.

I'm not saying I hold it against him or anything. He had a great career and for a time was a great Oiler. Honestly if you could create a prototype player to add to this team right now, it would probably be pretty damn close to Souray the season he scored 20+ goals and put up 50+ points.

I just don't buy into this narrative that Souray was in the right with what happened. Just because the Oilers were a gong show doesn't mean it was okay to do what he did.

I think what Souray did was great and wish more players did it instead of being cowards and not saying a thing ornot defending a player who put it on the line on and off the ice and didn't get player backing in either regard.

Souray had balls. Souray had compete. The rest of the org or players not so much.

I never blame employees for having fire, passion, and for that occasionally surfacing in different ways which could be easily managed and redirected. (and I said so at the time) Sourays comments could have been easily managed by a middle manager with even a modicum of troubleshooting skill. Sather would have had zero difficulty with such comments and even would've acted on them.

I worry much more about the guys with no passion, no guts, that go through the motions with a smile on their face and a see no evil speak no evil approach.

Souray was w whistleblower on an org that deserved to get called out. For the reasons as stated and more.

lets not forget this org acted on Sourays accusation after the fact and got rid of the medical staff. AFter first getting rid of Souray and preventing him from coming to camp. Tambo made it into a big clownshow.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I think what Souray did was great and wish more players did it instead of being cowards and not saying a thing ornot defending a player who put it on the line on and off the ice and didn't get player backing in either regard.

Souray had balls. Souray had compete. The rest of the org or players not so much.

I never blame employees for having fire, passion, and for that occasionally surfacing in different ways which could be easily managed and redirected. (and I said so at the time) Sourays comments could have been easily managed by a middle manager with even a modicum of troubleshooting skill. Sather would have had zero difficulty with such comments and even would've acted on them.

I worry much more about the guys with no passion, no guts, that go through the motions with a smile on their face and a see no evil speak no evil approach.

Souray was w whistleblower on an org that deserved to get called out. For the reasons as stated and more.

lets not forget this org acted on Sourays accusation after the fact and got rid of the medical staff. AFter first getting rid of Souray and preventing him from coming to camp. Tambo made it into a big clownshow.
So why did Souray wait 3 season to whine to the media. When did Souray have shoulder surgery. Any organization would have done the same thing for crapping on an organization.

In the real world, Souray would have been fired on the spot. What Souray did was unprofessional and stop defending him.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Whistleblowing is a great way to consider it. It wasn't professional perhaps but it was needed and imo the right thing to do. When an organization is treating it's employees as badly as ours was, I'd rather a guy speak up than be a good, "professional" employee. Sure, maybe he annoyed some old boys around the NHL. But why on earth do we as fans care about that? Souray speaking up was contributing towards the (very slowly) growing pressure on our organization to change for the better. From my seat as a fan that is 100% a positive thing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So why did Souray wait 3 season to whine to the media. When did Souray have shoulder surgery. Any organization would have done the same thing for crapping on an organization.

In the real world, Souray would have been fired on the spot. What Souray did was unprofessional and stop defending him.

You're thowing narrative accusatory labels about Souray in nearly every post. your mind is made. Clearly. Tell me why I should even respond?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Whistleblowing is a great way to consider it. It wasn't professional perhaps but it was needed and imo the right thing to do. When an organization is treating it's employees as badly as ours was, I'd rather a guy speak up than be a good, "professional" employee. Sure, maybe he annoyed some old boys around the NHL. But why on earth do we as fans care about that? Souray speaking up was contributing towards the (very slowly) growing pressure on our organization to change for the better. From my seat as a fan that is 100% a positive thing.

Yep. Most people that are old enough and that have worked for a number of companies can tell when they're in one that is screwed up, to put it mildly. As an accredited professional who answers not only to employer at the time but professional standards and accountability its fairly incumbent to at least stand ground on things that matter. Most of us don't work in a public arena where press is heavily involved. I think a lot of judgement on Souray doesn't consider that this guy was the biggest competitor in the dressingroom and not even close and the guy the reporters would be going to. In Sourays situation what went down is almost inevitable. I do remember Tambo and the org calling out Souray and his play a number of times before he went public. That last part is important as well as the Oilers certainly engaged in defamation to Souray and countless other players here. indeed this org made a habit of it and even with players like Gretzky, Pronger Smyth, etc.

People forget how deplorable this org has been to players.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
In my eyes, Souray didn't act like a clown at all. The management were the ones who acted like the clowns. I'm happy Souray spoke out about how bad management was towards players and pressuring them into playing too early. Good on him. Souray just so happened to be one of many players that had problems with the Oilers' management and how they handled ****. Call me biased but I'm the same way. He refuses to take **** from nobody and demands respect from everybody. Remember, he was disrespected first and all he did was speak out. He was also the bigger man showing face at training camp.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yep. Most people that are old enough and that have worked for a number of companies can tell when they're in one that is screwed up, to put it mildly. As an accredited professional who answers not only to employer at the time but professional standards and accountability its fairly incumbent to at least stand ground on things that matter. Most of us don't work in a public arena where press is heavily involved. I think a lot of judgement on Souray doesn't consider that this guy was the biggest competitor in the dressingroom and not even close and the guy the reporters would be going to. In Sourays situation what went down is almost inevitable. I do remember Tambo and the org calling out Souray and his play a number of times before he went public. That last part is important as well as the Oilers certainly engaged in defamation to Souray and countless other players here. indeed this org made a habit of it and even with players like Gretzky, Pronger Smyth, etc.

Yep.

Once this organization has soured on a player the word gets out pretty quickly. We've seen examples of this in each of the last two seasons.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

Perfect post Replacement! You said everything better than I ever could concerning this very debacle. Souray was a whistleblower and what he did caused ripples that eventually took the tint off the windows revealing the ******** for what they were.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB

Agreed. 100%. The old boys club (not just with the Oilers, but elsewhere) and the locker room "code" whatever that may be are destructive instruments. From all the way back to, if not before, beating down players demanding better contracts by using Gordie Howe's naivite and trust against his colleagues, to destroying early attempts to unionize, to player vs. player locker-room bullying, to colluding with the media to hide relevant and damaging off-ice incidents, to management pressuring players to take the ice when they're hurt, to general incompetence such as we've seen here in our city for over a decade, these things are swept under the rug and hidden, and those who try to break the code of silence are shamed and vilified.

That doesn't mean Souray's a saint, but we know now, if not then, that he didn't get a fair shake from management or media (and some fans) and that what he was saying had value.

We need to do a better job listening and we need to stop judging words that don't fit our paradigm of appropriate. The paradigm is broken and destructive.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yep.

Once this organization has soured on a player the word gets out pretty quickly. We've seen examples of this in each of the last two seasons.
Oh countless, and every season. This org just loves to put the screw in post player departure and kind of reflects the passive aggressive nature of the org.

Perfect post Replacement! You said everything better than I ever could concerning this very debacle. Souray was a whistleblower and what he did caused ripples that eventually took the tint off the windows revealing the ******** for what they were.

I should mention as well that I have a far easier time dealing with an employee when I know what they think, because they verbalize it and actually have the assertive skills to state it, then one that just smiles all the time, agrees with everything, and acts busy.

I'd always rather know what an employee, colleague thinks. Even personally I usually prefer that..;)

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Agreed. 100%. The old boys club (not just with the Oilers, but elsewhere) and the locker room "code" whatever that may be are destructive instruments. From all the way back to, if not before, beating down players demanding better contracts by using Gordie Howe's naivite and trust against his colleagues, to destroying early attempts to unionize, to player vs. player locker-room bullying, to colluding with the media to hide relevant and damaging off-ice incidents, to management pressuring players to take the ice when they're hurt, to general incompetence such as we've seen here in our city for over a decade, these things are swept under the rug and hidden, and those who try to break the code of silence are shamed and vilified.

That doesn't mean Souray's a saint, but we know now, if not then, that he didn't get a fair shake from management or media (and some fans) and that what he was saying had value.

We need to do a better job listening and we need to stop judging words that don't fit our paradigm of appropriate. The paradigm is broken and destructive.

Another powerful post perfectly concluded with the bolded. :handclap:

Phil Esposito would love that one.

But listening, true listening, *witnessing* is a hard job given all of our filters, screens, preconception, bias, leanings, etc.

That's where the narrative comes in that I alluded to with Narnia. Once that narrative is established it takes a pretty flexible mind and/or disposition to alter that. For all of us.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Excellent post, totally agree with this part

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Yep.

An organization always has to handle things bigger than the player.

We have to remember that a player has to be truly angry to lash or say something in public, mainly because of the alternative routes whether it means your agent, or management. It goes to show almost how little the OBC made communication with players a priority.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Sourays comments could have been easily managed by a middle manager with even a modicum of troubleshooting skill. Sather would have had zero difficulty with such comments and even would've acted on them.
Not nearly enough is made of this point. Tamby and Katz, cause I don't believe Tamby even took a **** without checking with Katz first, decided to make the Souray incident into a huge firestorm. I have to ask myself why. The fact that the team was going into intentional tank mode seems a likely reason to me .... "Thanks for shooting off your mouth Sheldon. We were looking for ways to make our roster less competitive next season, and you just handed us one easy way to accomplish that. Say goodbye to your career son."

Any normal manager in any profession can handle things like the Souray complaints without breaking a sweat. Its kind of Management 101 to be honest.

Nailed it. We have fans on this site who have been wailing and moaning for seven years now for someone, anyone, to do something about the state of the organization. Some have even claimed to be losing their love of hockey because of this joke management group. So one day a guy steps up and takes some fairly plainly worded shots at management (goes out of his way to say that he's only talking about management, not the team, not the organization, not the crest, not the fans), and what do those crying fans do? They call him a clown and throw roses at the management for running him out of town. It beggars belief.

Really solid series of posts there Replacement. And if I recall you were no massive Souray fan either. I hope Souray reads this site so he knows that fans in Edmonton wish him the best.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Both sides were clowns, unfortunately for the team them being clowns like this hurt their ability to sign and acquire quality players. There is a reason Gregor felt the need to mention the poor management when talking about being a destination for players. It wasn't just one thing, but how things were dealt with in regards to Souray was just another black mark.

The biggest take from this for me is the nice read that gives insight. Souray's comments them-self shouldn't be news to anyone. He has from day one said he liked the city but had a management issue.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Which is odd given how many examples we have from just the past few years of players who have come from this org and found themselves shocked by how right other orgs do it. Petry in Montreal most recently. Hopefully we'll see a culture shift now with Nicholson and Charelli setting the pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad