OT: Souray: To the people of Edmonton

oilers_smyth_94

Feb 18, 2007
I don't post often here anymore, but I read Sheldon Souray's retirement letter on The Players' Tribune and thought it was a good read. Notably this part:

(To) The people of Edmonton: Thanks for treating me so well even when things got ugly with management. All I ever wanted to do since I was a little boy was play for the Oilers. I wish it turned out better in the end, but you always made me feel at home.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sheldon-souray-retirement-letter/

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I wasn't as knowledgeable about hockey when the Souray business went down (and, if I'm being honest, younger and dumber). I was one of the guys foolishly happy when we got rid of the "locker room cancer". In the years since I've come to realise how right Souray was. He was the canary in the mineshaft screaming WE'RE ALL CHOKING UNDER THIS INSANITY and we threw him back in, laughing. In the years since we lost him we've been in dire need of a new Souray. Big shot, tough to play against. None of our D meets that requirement to this day.

I'm glad Sheldon still has positive memories about Edmonton. I'm not sure I would in his shoes, given how badly our management screwed with him. I hope he has a wonderful life in retirement.

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
best sports website AINEC IMO, and articles like this reinforce my love of the site.

Souray the greaseball who played PeeWee Double B, starts a typical "Bro Fight" in the hallway, leads him to the NHL via Quesnel. Can't make this stuff up. Great story, great dude.

Seriously though, did "get off my lawn Brownlee" actually reference something cool? LOL

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Reactions: Summary

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
"Ken Daneyko: What kind of guy gets called into the GM’s office and is told he’s being sent to down to the minors and replies, “No … No, I’m not.” Then goes out for practice and convinces the brass to send somebody else down instead. You’re a legend, King."

Hahahahahahha

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
At the time I thought he was the problem in the room, but I was pretty well off about it.

I think it was part of the suckage that was happening at the time.

Very frustrating time as an Oil fan.

Hope he has a good retirement.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What a great read. I'm glad he doesn't hold any hard feelings towards Oilers fans. It was embarrassing seeing people touting him as the next team captain and then the same guys turning on him so severely just a week later when it was obvious, even back then, that there was a huge problem with management.

I really miss the grit, toughness and character he brought to the team. I'll never forget the excitement he created in the rink when he dropped his gloves and removed his wrist guard while getting ready to fight. Man, he was mean and tough.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
He didn't play all that many games here but did he ever leave an impression. I wish Souray could have played here until he retired because he's the exact ilk this current team needs... hell, always needed. Management was a joke all the way until this spring.

Thank you Souray for your short stint here. You were a hybrid of Scot Stevens and Al MacInnis. You had that slapper and you could also hit like a truck and fight like a champ. Enjoy your retirement. Wish I could retire at your age! :laugh:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wanted Souray to be captain back in those days. He was the Byfuglien of his time. He really made his mark in every game he played. Very intense player. Great shot, very physical. He led by example. He was everything the Oilers weren't.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Thanks for sharing. When everything went down with Souray, I had him pegged as the bad guy. He's a class act.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ya, I'm another guy who thought he was the rotten apple (along with 99.9% of fans). It's interesting how he was vilified, but looking back, he's a huge part of everyone realizing just how bad things were in management.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'll go against the grain a bit. Souray never should have publicly come out and slammed management like he did. It was grossly unprofessional. If he wanted to be traded he should have gone about it like a pro and not sewered the organization.

He also sucked two out of the three years he played here and not a team in the league wanted him for free at even 1/2 price after his last season in Edmonton.

Yeah he was awesome that one year. But there is definitely some revisionist history going on in this thread.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Ya, I'm another guy who thought he was the rotten apple (along with 99.9% of fans). It's interesting how he was vilified, but looking back, he's a huge part of everyone realizing just how bad things were in management.

Oh if only we could rewind time and use our hate of the management now, but back then. Souray would have had his own street named after him. :laugh:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'll go against the grain a bit. Souray never should have publicly come out and slammed management like he did. It was grossly unprofessional. If he wanted to be traded he should have gone about it like a pro and not sewered the organization.
Grossly unprofessional? Says you.
Let some pinhead like Tambellini **** with your livelihood and see what kind of professional smile you manage to paste on.
Nothing that Souray said was even that outrageous. Here are the relevant quotes.

“I got challenged by management on the very first day of my first training camp. The very first day. I wasn’t even ready to play when I came here, but it was like, ‘We signed you, you go out and play.’ “I go out, play six games, and I get hurt.”

“I’ve had the experience of playing in great organizations (in New Jersey and Montreal), and experienced a vastly different approach to things like that. I never had my character questioned there. I feel that’s all I’ve had since I’ve been here.

“You talk about Prongs (Chris Pronger) and guys like that, and it should raise an eyebrow when players who leave town are skipping out with a smile on their face.”

“It’s not a players thing, it’s not a fans thing or a city thing,” the disgruntled defenceman told SportsNet in upping the trade request to a full-fledged demand. “It’s a management thing. They’ve given up on me, and it’s a two-way street.”

Not to mention that Souray was willing to attend camp as required under is professional obligations, and gave indications that he was willing to let bygones be bygones.

"It was all smiles today as Sheldon Souray left the ice after skating at Rexall Place. It looked like Souray and the Oilers made up, and Souray was going to be a part of this team. He said he was looking forward to training camp, and said how things he said were five moths ago. He sounded like he really was sorry, and that he was willing to come back this season and help the young Oilers.

Then news came from the Oilers' rookie tourney in BC, Sheldon Souray will not be at Oilers camp when it opens. Steve Tambellini even called the media around for a little statement about the whole thing. According to Tambellini, Souray's agent was told last week that Souray was not invited to Oilers training camp, and that he was to wait for word from the Oilers on what to do next."

When asked if there were any overtures Souray could make to get back in the Oilers' good graces, Tambellini replied: "No, we're sticking with our plan."

That arrogant little worm. Pretending that he had even a semblance of a plan ... it still makes my stomach turn when I think that smarmy creep (and his equally creepy boss) paid millions to avoid having one of the best players on the team suit up. Its like a sailor shooting holes in his own boat. And the fans lapped it up. Some apparently still do.

He also sucked two out of the three years he played here
Cause he got injured. And unless you want to call him a liar, he felt pressured to play before he was ready and his injury became worse as a result. Interesting how you conveniently say he sucked for two years but neglect to mention that the middle year he was a beast and pretty much the only guy on the team worth the price of admission.

and not a team in the league wanted him for free at even 1/2 price after his last season in Edmonton.
Cause the Oilers overpaid him. Then waived him at inconvenient times. Souray was signed (by Dallas, a team vastly superior to the Oilers) on the first ****ing day he was available to sign. And after that he had no problem getting another deal with the Ducks (an even better team). So the little fable that Souray wasn't wanted shouldn't be repeated again.

No team wanted to step into the little drama the Oilers had going on. They were probably horrified at Tamby's behavior and didn't want to get involved. Not to mention they could see that Souray was done in Edmonton, so why help out Tamby or the Oilers when you know damn well they are going to buy this player out and you can get him for nothing next season?

Yeah he was awesome that one year. But there is definitely some revisionist history going on in this thread.
Oh, there it is, belated and grudging acknowledgement that he was awesome that one year. Yeah and he could have been awesome for two or three more years if we'd had a management group even approaching the levels of professional competence generally expected.

And as for revisionist history, the only revising I see is a lot of people admitting that they were dead wrong about Souray. And good on them for stepping forward to say so.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would *love* to have Souray of 5 years ago on this team. Will take a guy like that on my team any day.

What a freaking great letter too. The Ken Danekyo part :laugh:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Grossly unprofessional? Says you.
Let some pinhead like Tambellini **** with your livelihood and see what kind of professional smile you manage to paste on.
Nothing that Souray said was even that outrageous. Here are the relevant quotes.

“I got challenged by management on the very first day of my first training camp. The very first day. I wasn’t even ready to play when I came here, but it was like, ‘We signed you, you go out and play.’ “I go out, play six games, and I get hurt.â€

“I’ve had the experience of playing in great organizations (in New Jersey and Montreal), and experienced a vastly different approach to things like that. I never had my character questioned there. I feel that’s all I’ve had since I’ve been here.

“You talk about Prongs (Chris Pronger) and guys like that, and it should raise an eyebrow when players who leave town are skipping out with a smile on their face.â€

“It’s not a players thing, it’s not a fans thing or a city thing,†the disgruntled defenceman told SportsNet in upping the trade request to a full-fledged demand. “It’s a management thing. They’ve given up on me, and it’s a two-way street.â€

Not to mention that Souray was willing to attend camp as required under is professional obligations, and gave indications that he was willing to let bygones be bygones.

"It was all smiles today as Sheldon Souray left the ice after skating at Rexall Place. It looked like Souray and the Oilers made up, and Souray was going to be a part of this team. He said he was looking forward to training camp, and said how things he said were five moths ago. He sounded like he really was sorry, and that he was willing to come back this season and help the young Oilers.

Then news came from the Oilers' rookie tourney in BC, Sheldon Souray will not be at Oilers camp when it opens. Steve Tambellini even called the media around for a little statement about the whole thing. According to Tambellini, Souray's agent was told last week that Souray was not invited to Oilers training camp, and that he was to wait for word from the Oilers on what to do next."

When asked if there were any overtures Souray could make to get back in the Oilers' good graces, Tambellini replied: "No, we're sticking with our plan."

That arrogant little worm. Pretending that he had even a semblance of a plan ... it still makes my stomach turn when I think that smarmy creep (and his equally creepy boss) paid millions to avoid having one of the best players on the team suit up. Its like a sailor shooting holes in his own boat. And the fans lapped it up. Some apparently still do.

Cause he got injured. And unless you want to call him a liar, he felt pressured to play before he was ready and his injury became worse as a result. Interesting how you conveniently say he sucked for two years but neglect to mention that the middle year he was a beast and pretty much the only guy on the team worth the price of admission.

Cause the Oilers overpaid him. Then waived him at inconvenient times. Souray was signed (by Dallas, a team vastly superior to the Oilers) on the first ****ing day he was available to sign. And after that he had no problem getting another deal with the Ducks (an even better team). So the little fable that Souray wasn't wanted shouldn't be repeated again.

No team wanted to step into the little drama the Oilers had going on. They were probably horrified at Tamby's behavior and didn't want to get involved. Not to mention they could see that Souray was done in Edmonton, so why help out Tamby or the Oilers when you know damn well they are going to buy this player out and you can get him for nothing next season?

Oh, there it is, belated and grudging acknowledgement that he was awesome that one year. Yeah and he could have been awesome for two or three more years if we'd had a management group even approaching the levels of professional competence generally expected.

And as for revisionist history, the only revising I see is a lot of people admitting that they were dead wrong about Souray. And good on them for stepping forward to say so.

I don't doubt the Oilers management mismanaged Souray. We're talking about the worst run organization in league history. But it was a severely scummy move by Souray to publicly slam the organization. And whether you or he would like to admit it, it cost him a year in the NHL. There was no way he could be welcomed back into the dressing room after doing what he did. That was on him. At that point there was no other option. If he had kept his request private and acted like a professional he likely would have had an opportunity to play the year in the NHL with the Oilers and raise his value in the eyes of the league and maybe get out of here a little sooner.

Dude acted like a clown, and then once he realized not a team in the league wanted him at his contract he tried to sweep it under the rug and attend training camp like nothing happened. It obviously wasn't going to work that way. It wouldn't have worked that way with any organization in the league.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I enjoyed Sheldon's article, and I am happy for him, as he enters the next phase of his life. Sheldon paid a dear price for his public comments about management when he was here. Although I didn't agree with him for doing it, I'm glad he persevered and landed a second chance in the NHL and made good on it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Dude acted like a clown
You can call it what you want. I fully supported and agreed with the comments at the time, and now. We obviously aren't going to find any agreement here.
It wouldn't have worked that way with any organization in the league.
Disagree. It's worked out a whole lot different for a lot of other players who did a lot worse than Souray ever did.
Just to take a mild example, has anything happened to Thornton for telling his GM to "shut his mouth"?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

He also sucked two out of the three years he played here and not a team in the league wanted him for free at even 1/2 price after his last season in Edmonton.

Back then I had grown to resent the 'off ice' captain that we are still prioritizing to this day. It became a stark opposite in my head that Souray was the one that actually drove the play on the ice but was a mess off the ice, and Moreau was poor on the ice but was a classy guy off the ice. This only got worse under Horcoff. I don't mind Ference as much, but it's still the same issue. It's just disheartening to see truly great captains out there as the central player on their teams in terms of playing hockey, and it just feels right that way. I know that teams like LA are great and have Brown as their captain, but that team has elite talents that don't really need leadership to perform.

In the end, Souray was only here for 3 seasons. He had one amazing season which really formed my opinion of him, and imo his other two seasons were only bad because he had injury issues, and I suppose I do agree that the captain shouldn't be injured all the time.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Is it grossly unprofessional when the organization itself is grossly unprofessional?

He clearly had his own motivations for doing what he did the way he did it but at the same time he was trying to expose some of the embarrassing clown show for what it was. That group needed to be called out and at the time I was in the minority when I supported him for it. I wasn't surprised management took the stand they did against him. These were people who became quite good over the years at doing whatever it took to cover their own *****. I was just surprised and frankly, baffled, that the fans turned on him so fast. Same fans that just one week earlier wanted him named team captain. Strange phenomena I guess. We saw lots of fans that turned on formerly popular players like Smid and Perron once they were dealt and the Oilers propaganda department labelled them enemies of the state.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad