Sounds like MacT is giving Nelson the job?

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Rumor has it that MacT is GONE in the off-season! Well, promoted to president of hockey - Lowe to dictator for life of hockey, or something along those lines. The new face to take on the GM role will be welcoming Dallas Eakins back as he will be given the opportunity to prove himself to be a truly great hockey mind and smart signing that just didn't work out as a coach.

You heard it here first folks.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Rumor has it that MacT is GONE in the off-season! Well, promoted to president of hockey - Lowe to dictator for life of hockey, or something along those lines. The new face to take on the GM role will be welcoming Dallas Eakins back as he will be given the opportunity to prove himself to be a truly great hockey mind and smart signing that just didn't work out as a coach.

Instant season ticket cancellation

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

If you're right, I'll see you all at Costco Liquor.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

April Fools.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant

Sell everything you own, hitchhike to Vegas, bet it all on this happening.

What could go wrong?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I suspect that the Oilers big off season organizational change will be the departure of Keith Acton and probably Craig Ramsey as well. Acton because he was Eakin's guy and Ramsay because he looks older than a turtle. I'm wondering if the grind is getting a little difficult for him. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Kelly Buchberger named as a replacement. It's been almost two years since the organization has tried recycling old broken parts back into their machine. That's more than enough time for them to forget how bad of an idea it is, that it doesn't work and how livid the fans will get. I can't wait to hear Mactavish's reasons to why it's such a good move.

Note: This was posted on March 29. It was not meant as an Aprils Fools joke and isn't intended to be taken that way. Every day is like April Fools following this team.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I suspect that the Oilers big off season organizational change will be the departure of Keith Acton and probably Craig Ramsey as well. Acton because he was Eakin's guy and Ramsay because he looks older than a turtle. I'm wondering if the grind is getting a little difficult for him. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Kelly Buchberger named as a replacement. It's been almost two years since the organization has tried recycling old broken parts back into their machine. That's more than enough time for them to forget how bad of an idea it is, that it doesn't work and how livid the fans will get. I can't wait to hear Mactavish's reasons to why it's such a good move.

Note: This was posted on March 29. It was not meant as an Aprils Fools joke and isn't intended to be taken that way. Every day is like April Fools following this team.

I really hope Nelson chooses his assistants. Whether that means Buchberger or not. I just want it to be his decision. His or Mike Babcock's.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Be prepared to lose parts of your mind as the Oilers let him twist in the wind before they make up their mind! Will he be Renney'd and forced to write and essay? Will he be Krueger'd and fired, because the new GM saw something shinier, over Skype? Will he be Quinn'd and promoted to VP in charge of paperclips, but never seen again in Oileristan? No one, but the shadow, knows......

This post and the top post on this page..

Mr. Katz can you not see the anguish you are causing? Perhaps you are Hannibal Lector'ing and are lavishing in the pain you are causing this city.. Whatever it is, you win. Congrats! Now fire the OBC!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I really hope Nelson chooses his assistants. Whether that means Buchberger or not. I just want it to be his decision. His or Mike Babcock's.
cHr8ArN.gif

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
There is one scenario that could possibly work...........Hire Babcock as Coach and GM but let Nelson be the associate coach and the one behind the bench.

Or fire MacT and hire Babcock as GM and Nelson as the head Coach. It might be the only possible scenario that Babcock would come to the Oilers! Remember Bob Nicholson has a connection with Babcock thru Hockey Canada..

so does Lowe ;)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Have all of our boners for Nelson subsided now? Can we all agree that this team would be best off with an experienced, successful NHL coach?

We need to be healthy and to get some roster upgrades on defense and in net as well as more size in the top 9. Pinning all of this on Nelson is ridiculous. He's already done much better than Eakins under worse circumstances, unless an elite coach shakes loose he should be given next season as an audition.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Have all of our boners for Nelson subsided now? Can we all agree that this team would be best off with an experienced, successful NHL coach?

No I still like him and think he should be given a more fair shake.

He is better than Eakins and on par with Krueger/Renney.

No top tier experienced coach is going to come here anyway. The type of coach you're going to get is someone desperate for an NHL job like Marc Crawford or Mike Keenan.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015

nope still got a ***** for Nelson.

that said Babs is welcome here.. if he doesn't want to come then i feel safer with Nelson as coach than hoping things work out with someone not named Babs

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

What trade secrets would an "experienced NHL coach" bring to the table? Half a dozen terrible teams have "experienced NHL coaches" who also have awful defense and still suck.

It's easy to pick out a really poor coach but the difference between good coaches is probably not fundamentally different outside of roster quality.

This team already fired 2 upward trending good coaches because the GM couldn't give them a decent defense, this really shouldn't happen a 3rd time. If it does this team deserves to rot.

Our current GM seems to be putting all his eggs in the Klefbom/Schultz basket by giving up far better/seasoned dmen like Petry. I have to wonder if he has a strategy to all of this in the off season. Not signing Petry was a firing-worthy move.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Can he play defense, goal, and score?

Its gonna take more than a good coach to turn things around here.

Maybe he can teach the defense how to do a frickin breakout.

Three separate times the Oilers passed the puck behind their own net before the Flames made it 2-0. Most teams can get out of their own end with one pass, but with the Oilers it takes seven.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No, I think he mentioned he was going to OKC during his last press conference. If nothing else, it means he's still in the organization and hasn't been stealthily let go.

I think Dipsy might be referring to the "now-Edmonton Oilers coach" bit...

Could just be them omitting interim but who knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad