Sounds like MacT is giving Nelson the job?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The reward for sucking just became a game changer today with the draft lottery win.

Nelson will be part of that fall out...he might be a co-coach but I am willing to bet that Nelson will not be the head coach of this hockey team next season.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Considering we're going to yet again rush a top pick to the bigs, I think we should keep Nelson. He seems to have a way with getting younger players acclimated to the NHL.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Considering we're going to yet again rush a top pick to the bigs, I think we should keep Nelson. He seems to have a way with getting younger players acclimated to the NHL.

No such thing as Rushing McDavid, he couldve played in the NHL this year.

What needs to happen is get him a coach that can shelter him and give him the best possibility to succeed. The Lottery has opened up alot for the Oilers, the optimism is at an all time high

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Nelson is as good as gone which is a pity. Get ready for someone like Marc Crawford.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The reward for sucking just became a game changer today with the draft lottery win.

Nelson will be part of that fall out...he might be a co-coach but I am willing to bet that Nelson will not be the head coach of this hockey team next season.
Agreed, Nelson was the biggest loser in the draft lottery. McDavid gives the Oilers the chance to lure a coaching name now. Yesterday his biggest competition for the job was Buchberger and Eakins. I'd hope he'd stick around as an assistant but that might not be in the best interests of whoever gets the job. He's good at what he does though and will definitely get an opportunity somewhere else, unlike the guy he replaced.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think McDavid helps our chances of keeping Nelson as an associate coach.

We can lure a big name coach, just got a generational player, and have a strong, young core.

He'd be smart to want to be a part of it

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think McDavid helps our chances of keeping Nelson as an associate coach.

We can lure a big name coach, just got a generational player, and have a strong, young core.

He'd be smart to want to be a part of it

I have no doubt that nelson wants to be a part of this. The question is...will the new head coach want his own people on staff.

What might work well for Nelson is that he would make a new coaches job easier because he has so much familiarity with the roster and prospects. Thats a a big plus for any new coach coming in.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Ideally we get a coach with an impressive winning resume and keep Nelson around as an associate coach. A good mix of familiarity and experience on the bench.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I actually don't think he'll be gone and will be HC unless management is canned.

I don't really see McDavid being enticing enough to have MacT and KLowe as your boss if I'm an elite NHL coach. On top of that unless defense is addressed in a serious manner I wouldn't touch this squad.

And I'm fine with Nelson as I don't think an "elite NHL coach" would be all that much better tbh. I'd go with what we know and just aim for a better defense this off season.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I think the knuckleheads in management will definitely aim for some name coach... but I hope at least ONE of those numbskulls has the foresight to see how Nelson's approach helped some of the players turn things around a bit. Keep him on as an assistant coach if he is willing, because his coaching demeanour certainly had a positive effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad