Confirmed with Link: Soshnikov to St Louis for a 2019 4th Round Pick

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I liked Sosh, but he was really underwhelming his last stint up with the big club. Also, we didn't exactly have a great deal of leverage here, so to expect a 3rd for a guy who couldn't stick with us, everyone aware of his contract status, is a bit much to ask. Leivo gets us more I think, because of the offensive upside. Good luck Sosh.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This sort of thing will be common with the Leafs development system - especially at the wing. As it churns out NHL ready guys management either to slot them into the lineup or trade them for a relatively low return

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
You trade a guy out of conference and he does well, what does it do? Makes you popular with some of the most powerul guys in the business of hockey, hockey sports agents. Lou did well here, Sosh, gets a shot at the NHL, all good;.

Picking bones over this? No point, guy is not going to supplant a beast like Kapanen. No way. He isn't a center. Nice player, came over here with family, wish him well and hopes he goes on fire. Why not, not going to hurt us?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Good return for a non NHL player.
Sosh could be a good mid 6 player, wish him all the best.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ya I misspoke, I ment to say the options were to either demote Kap to the Marlies or trade/waive one of Leivo or Sosh.

I think since it was Sosh not Leivo that got traded it is good news for Leivo.
How is this good news for leivo? Because you think it's more likely he will be traded?
I still don't see him replacing anyone in the lineup unless one of the starters is traded

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Oft injured physical player who had a wicked shot and some good wheels. The fact he couldnt crack this line up is a VERY good thing. Other teams had all the leverage here.

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
Always liked Sosh. I think he has more upside than people might have thought. Would have been a NHL regular had he been able to stay healthy. Best wishes to him and his family.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I thought the Oilers would be pitching for him. Wouldn't surprise me if he turns into a player for St. Louis.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Need him for what though? He is a shadow of the player he was last year and working on his worst season since 2011. I cannot picture him contributing to a playoff run. At least JVR is still producing on the PP even with record low ice time. For what little TB is bringing right now I would give Marleau his spot and fill that gap with Leivo and Johnsson. He is on pace the worst gpg of his career. If they want to play own rental at least rent someone who is producing.

I forgot about Pickard. No reason to keep him around if there is a buyer because he isn't ahead of Sparks and they have McElhinney for another year. A club like the Flames might be interested if Mike Smith's groin doesn't resolve really soon.

Bozak is still a decent 3rd line centre with experience and good on face-offs...we don't have a replacement for him. Unless we get a better centre coming back, why are we trading him? Marleau is doing well where he's slotted and is better on the wing. We need the depth at centre for a playoff run. What we need is probably another defenseman.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
How is this good news for leivo? Because you think it's more likely he will be traded?
I still don't see him replacing anyone in the lineup unless one of the starters is traded
He has a spot next year on a rising young team. Don't see why he can't wait until the summer which is what I bet Lou thinks too.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I liked him. But we've got guys like Leivo and Johnsson who are ahead of him... Kapanen still on the 4th line... just no room for Sosh unfortunately. We're too deep on offense.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He has a spot next year on a rising young team. Don't see why he can't wait until the summer which is what I bet Lou thinks too.
But who's spot do you see him taking?
I should also preface this by saying I'm of the mind that Leivo's lack of foot speed is the main reason he has not made the line up
Compare what Kapanen does to the 4th line vs what Josh did when he was there. Imo that's all from speed
As for higher up in the line I still think his feet won't get him a spot.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I should also preface this by saying I'm of the mind that Leivo's lack of foot speed is the main reason he has not made the line up
Compare what Kapanen does to the 4th line vs what Josh did when he was there. Imo that's all from speed

You can’t compare Kapanen vs Leivo on the fourth line. Leivo played with Gauthier/Moore and Martin whereas Kapanen is playing with Moore and Komarov

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I agree that his speed could limit his impact at the NHL level. However I honestly can't see JVR getting re-signed as I feel like Leafs will prefer to resign Gardiner the season after. Meaning Leivo could have a spot with Komarov also another winger who may be let go.

The management has seemingly done a lot to keep Leivo around, I can't see them letting him go before he gets a proper look on the Leafs.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
There's actually a chance this could be our only trade.

So enjoy that downer

"Thanks." ;)

I think we've got a couple of irons in the fire...

...and yes by think I mean hope.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You can’t compare Kapanen vs Leivo on the fourth line. Leivo played with Gauthier/Moore and Martin whereas Kapanen is playing with Moore and Komarov
I've seen Kapanen play with Gauthier with the Marlies and he make goat look good and that my point really leivo doesn't have the skating to make that impact this why he will be the extra if he stays here

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree that his speed could limit his impact at the NHL level. However I honestly can't see JVR getting re-signed as I feel like Leafs will prefer to resign Gardiner the season after. Meaning Leivo could have a spot with Komarov also another winger who may be let go.

The management has seemingly done a lot to keep Leivo around, I can't see them letting him go before he gets a proper look on the Leafs.
Good points. It will depend on what comes up from the Marlies, looking at Johnsson here, and euro or NA free agents. Leivo could find himself behind gain may reason
Imo I think they kept him because he I the perfect extra forward. Plug and play but there is a light decline in the team formula when he's in.
I think the kings would be the perfect sit for him though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad