Soo Greyhounds 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I thought Kyle Dubas was our friend!

He's got to do his job to the best of his abilities or he won't be in the NHL for long. Unfortunately that means screwing over the Hounds and he's shown no qualms about doing just that.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
He's got to do his job to the best of his abilities or he won't be in the NHL for long. Unfortunately that means screwing over the Hounds and he's shown no qualms about doing just that.
This was one of the first things I thought about when they announced Dubas as an Assistant GM. As last season went along it only confirmed for me that we'd be in trouble after this season as far as coaching goes. At this point I'm sitting back watching what they do. Not really sure I have any real expectations for next season other than being a playoff team.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
I will be happy just to see a team that works hard, plays good/very good hockey and plays tough but clean hockey. And I would much rather have a team that doesn't have really lofty expectations put on it and flies under the radar and at the end of the season people are thinking "Whoa, how did that happen???" for all the good reasons rather than "Whoa, how did that happen???" for all the wrong reasons.

At the end of the day, the Hounds can only be responsible for and control their own team and play. Put an entertaining product on the ice and I'll be satisfied.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i for one am happy for any hounds staff getting promotions. we will need to develop hockey minds as well as players if we wish to remain relevant.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Senyshyn goes to Bruins at #15 overall

Hi Hound fans. As a Bruin fan I wonder what you great fans of the Hounds think of the potential of Senshyn? Really never noticed him as much with all the star players you guys had last season. Basically heard he is a big kid with a nice set of wheels. The Hounds seem to be one of the most proactive teams in the CHL which makes it exciting to see the Bruins jump in and grab one of their prospects. Any info on Senshyn would be appreciated.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
Hi Hound fans. As a Bruin fan I wonder what you great fans of the Hounds think of the potential of Senshyn? Really never noticed him as much with all the star players you guys had last season. Basically heard he is a big kid with a nice set of wheels. The Hounds seem to be one of the most proactive teams in the CHL which makes it exciting to see the Bruins jump in and grab one of their prospects. Any info on Senshyn would be appreciated.

I became a Zach Senyshyn fan at rookie camp following the 2013 draft. That got reinforced at main camp. And although he was only up with the Hounds for 4 games in 2013-2014, I can remember turning around to the people behind us, raising my eyebrows and saying "Oh, I LIKE this kid!!". While 1G/1A/-1 in 4 games doesn't sound like much to some people, I took it as hope for great future.

His progression this season has been kicked up a notch. He has deceptive speed and great accelefation. His signature play is to come skating up the wing with the puck and, just before hitting their blue line, turning on the afterburners and swooping around behind the defencemen and cutting across the front of the net and depositing the puck in what WAS the far corner of the net or over a sprawling goalie. He sees the ice well and, with the right linemates, you have e trio that can do some real damage.

I'm sure that going 15th. overall is going to make the other OHL teams sit up and take notice if they hadn't already done so. But if his progression continues apace, he should be able to compensate for the additional attention that is paid to him. And I am looking forward to having make a few commentators, who opined that the Bruins had wasted a pick, eat their words.

And he is a really good kid. Quiet but personable. A TEAM player.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And the same can be said about Blake Speers and Colton White! (New Jersey Devils)

IMG_1152.JPG

I went to the draft and remembered that somebody at Carolina's table had a quick word with Speers. When I got home this weekend, I finally was able to check out the picture and realized that it was Ron Francis who is a Soo alum as well. Thought that was a cool connection and wondered if Speers might have been on Carolina's radar if they hadn't moved their pick for Eddie Lack.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I became a Zach Senyshyn fan at rookie camp following the 2013 draft. That got reinforced at main camp. And although he was only up with the Hounds for 4 games in 2013-2014, I can remember turning around to the people behind us, raising my eyebrows and saying "Oh, I LIKE this kid!!". While 1G/1A/-1 in 4 games doesn't sound like much to some people, I took it as hope for great future.

His progression this season has been kicked up a notch. He has deceptive speed and great accelefation. His signature play is to come skating up the wing with the puck and, just before hitting their blue line, turning on the afterburners and swooping around behind the defencemen and cutting across the front of the net and depositing the puck in what WAS the far corner of the net or over a sprawling goalie. He sees the ice well and, with the right linemates, you have e trio that can do some real damage.

I'm sure that going 15th. overall is going to make the other OHL teams sit up and take notice if they hadn't already done so. But if his progression continues apace, he should be able to compensate for the additional attention that is paid to him. And I am looking forward to having make a few commentators, who opined that the Bruins had wasted a pick, eat their words.

And he is a really good kid. Quiet but personable. A TEAM player.
Thanks Malarkey. Nice post. Sounds like a great prospect. The Bruins obviously saw something special in this kid to pick him that high. Good for him.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Very glad Hounds are taking their time in the coaching search.... No need to have a knee jerk reaction after losing a great coach. Find the right guy if it takes until training camp, so be it. Hounds are going to be a very fast and skilled team again this year, solid goaltending and lots of offense on the back end... If we can find a coach who teaches puck possession style and can continue to work on our coverage in our own zone this time will be more then fine. Would love to see Bunting back but that seems like a long shot

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
I'm looking forward to seeing what Drew can do.....feel much the same way I did when Sheldon was announced.

I wonder where the Hounds rank in providing former players as coaches in the OHL and elsewhere??

mikebel111*

Hello Greyhounds fans. Leafs fan here. Congrats on a pretty successful season though didnt end well

I know Keefe is an up and coming coach who has battled a lot in his life and career to get where he is now.

I am assuming he likely uses Babcock's system with the Marlies or at least similar, but if he doesnt

What kind of style or system did he have here? 5 on 5, fore checking/neutral zone, special teams?
Any weaknesses and strengths
Any info would be nice

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
Two words can describe the game he coaches......puck possession. No (or hardly any) dump and chase. Always trying to get the puck and keep the puck. He would prefer that the puck be carried out of the defensive zone than passed out. His other biggie is that all 3, 4 or 5 skaters on the ice are responsible for defence.

hounds fan

Sep 10, 2006
SSM
He also hates players taking needless penalties. He has actually sent players to the dressing room after taking a dumb penalty. One game in the second period he sent Moore and Bailey to the room. He tried to send them to the room soon as it happened and have a different player serve the penalty, ref wouldn't allow it, soon as they were out of the box they went straight to the room. They both returned for the third period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad