Soo Greyhounds 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
What do some fans think the lineup will look like next year? Curious how Senyshyn will slot in.

I'd expect him to be in the top 6, but guessing at lines is rather difficult at this point. Here's the roster anyways:

Senyshyn - McCann - Speers
Verbeek - Guertler (OA) - Goetz
Kopacka - Hawel - Gettinger
Katchouk - (Owen Guy?) - Tokarev

Hore (OA) - Bouramman
White - Mercier
Hollowell - Demeo
Timmins - (Green/Carlson?)

I expect us to add an overage forward and perhaps another depth forward. We're a little thin up front.

herc511

Dec 11, 2014
Sault Ste Marie
I'd expect him to be in the top 6, but guessing at lines is rather difficult at this point. Here's the roster anyways:

Verbeek - Guertler (OA) - Goetz
Kopacka - Hawel - Gettinger

Hore (OA) - Bouramman
White - Mercier
Hollowell - Demeo

I expect us to add an overage forward and perhaps another depth forward. We're a little thin up front.

Kopacka -Guertler (OA) - Gettinger
Verbeek - Hawel - Goetz

Hore (OA) - Bouramman
White - Mercier
Hollowell - Demeo

hounds fan

Sep 10, 2006
SSM
Hounds name Don MacLean as an assistant coach. Sault Star article
Soo Greyhounds General Manager Kyle Raftis announced this afternoon, as part of their Media Avail, that DONALD MACLEAN has been named the new Assistant Coach with the Program.
“We are pleased to be able to add a quality coach and person such as Donald to our organization.” began Raftis
“Donald comes with a vast background in his playing career as well as his young coaching career, and he will add a whole other dimension to our coaching staff. Along with Drew, Joe and now Donald we are very excited with our coaching staff and eager to get started planning for the quickly approaching season” he continued.
MacLean, a native of Sydney, Nova Scotia, comes to the Greyhounds after holding the position as Head Coach with Dab Docler Steelbuls of the MOL League along with holding the same position with the Croatian National Team (IIHF) for the past three seasons.
The 38-year old was originally selected 33rd Overall in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft by the Los Angeles Kings and would later spend 41 games in the NHL (LA, Toronto, Columbus, Detroit, Phoenix), 513 Games in the AHL/IHL and 220 games of European experience.

In the AHL, MacLean played in 513 games where he tallied 223 goals and 246 assists, good for 469 points.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to join such a respected organization and look forward to helping the club on and off the ice” commented MacLean.
MacLean rounds out the Hounds coaching staff that also includes Head Coach Drew Bannister, Associate Coach Joe Cirella and Development Coaches Mike Oliverio and Greg Amadio.
COACHING NOTES;

• 2014-15; Head Coach of Dunaujvarosi Acelbikak (MOL Liga)

Head Coach; Croatia (IIHF Division 1 Group B) Silver Medalist

• 2013-14; Assistant Coach of Medvescak Zagreb (KHL)

Head Coach; Croatia (IIHF Division 1 Group B)

• 2012-13; Assistant Coach of Medvescak Zagreb (Austria)

Head Coach; Croatia (WC D2A)

• 2011-12; Assistant Coach of Medvescak Zagreb (Austria)

PLAYER ACCOLDATES

• Austrian Champion (2007-08)

• Les Cunningham Award (2005-06); AHL Regular Season MVP

• Willie Marshall Award (2005-06); AHL Regular Season leading scorer

• First All-Star Team (2005-06); AHL

• St. John’s MVP (2001); AHL

• John B. Sollenger Trophy (2001-02); AHL Leading Scorer

• St. John’s MVP (2000); AHL

• Memorial Cup Champion / QMJHL Champion (1996-97) wit the Hull Olympics

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Tim Gettinger scored the lone goal for Team USA in a 5 to 1 loss to Finland at the Hlinka.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
From today's Sault Star:
Notes: Having not held a development camp this spring, the Hounds will welcome their 1998 and 1999-born players to Essar Centre for two days, beginning Aug. 31.

Their main training camp is slated to open on Sept. 2, with the annual Red & White Game set for Sept. 4.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
If he has they haven't released it yet, I'm sure something will come out next week. They didn't seem concerned about reporting when they drafted him. He is an unknown, no scouting report on him....

He's already been to the Soo, so I'd guess he is signed or will be signed before the season.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Tim Gettinger and Jack Kopacka are among 42 players selected to compete for the CCM/USA Hockey All-American prospect game.

hounds fan

Sep 10, 2006
SSM
Three hounds named to the possible breakout players for this year.
Owen Guy - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Last year the Hounds got great production from a first year player coming off a great season in the CCHL (Zach Senyshyn). This year, they hope the same can be said about Guy, the league's reigning Rookie of the Year. The CCHL All Rookie team has some pretty impressive alumni (Senyshyn, Kelly Summers, Mackenzie Weegar) in recent years. Like Senyshyn, Guy will have to work his way on to, and then up, the Hounds line up, but he looks like he could be a contributor.

"I remember his first game he played for Kemptville against Nepean as a 15 year old and you could tell that he was going to be a very good player. He's very skilled offensively and makes plays at a high speed. Has a tendency to look hesitant and not engage in the play. Without the puck he can be hard to find on the ice and you wish he played a more complete game. That said he was one of (if not) the best 16 year olds in the CCHL last year. His brother was a late bloomer as well but he's shown more promise at a younger age." (Conor Mulligan)

Boris Katchouk - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
A 2nd rounder by the Hounds in 2014, Katchouk saw limited time with the club last year. The rest of his year was spent with the Soo Thunderbirds of the NOJHL, where he was one of the better players on a Championship winning team. The Greyhounds have set themselves up for continued success, year after year, because of how well they've drafted recently. Even though they're losing the likes of Tolchinsky, Ritchie, Bailey, Moore, etc, they should still be fine because of all the talented forwards they're adding (3 on this list).

"Boris became one of the most threatening players in the NOJHL by the end of the year. Hungry for the puck he used his foot speed and size to get in on pucks quickly and cause havoc. Dynamic on the rush he attacks with speed, strength and has the puck skills to finish in tight. He will be ready to push for a top 9 role this year starting off as a high energy checker and showing more offence as the season progresses." (Nathan Didone)

Jack Kopacka - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Got into 4 games with the Greyhounds last year, spending the majority of the year with the Compuware Major Midget team. He was the 2nd leading scorer on the team and seems poised to at least play a 4th line role for the Soo this year. Fell in the 2014 draft to the 8th round over signability concerns, but he's a legit prospect.

"Kopacka is a very competitive, all-around player who works his tail off in every opportunity. He plays a fast, high paced game and can skillfully drive the net or battle hard to create a turnover. He utilizes a powerful skating stride to get up the ice and makes smart decisions with the puck on his stick. Kopacka can shoot with accuracy and loves to get chances on the net at every opportunity. He’s got a slick set of hands and is an underrated set-up man. Kopacka made it to the USA Select U17 Development Camp and was among the final cuts for the U18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial team after making the All-Star Game." (Matt Grainda)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hi Hounds fans
Was reading the Barrie thread and there was some speculation the colts were interested/rumoured to be in talks for McCann. This makes no sense to me as the Soo projects as a good team this year (although maybe not a contender like last year). Anybody on your end hear anything and any rationale at all to trade McCann?

PacoSanchez15

Aug 27, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Hi Hounds fans
Was reading the Barrie thread and there was some speculation the colts were interested/rumoured to be in talks for McCann. This makes no sense to me as the Soo projects as a good team this year (although maybe not a contender like last year). Anybody on your end hear anything and any rationale at all to trade McCann?

I have not heard anything here. If they trade McCann it probably wouldn't be until the deadline and only if the team is not performing to expectations. IMO they should be good enough to win the division again (Sarnia should give them a good challenge). If they are not going to win the division I could see them maybe dealing some players to try and re-coup some of the picks/players that they traded for last years run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad