Soo Greyhounds 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Playing your heart out just isn't enough at this level. I feel bad for him and you know I like him after our conversations at the deadline, but he cost us the series with more weak goals than I can count. Don't sugar coat it.

None were really soft goals. I think you should give more credit to McDavid. We may have outshot and out played Erie but they probably had more high end scoring chances.

potvin29

Apr 9, 2012
Slew footing is always 5 sorry.

Wasn't slewfooting. He lost an edge and knocked goalie over, didn't try to swipe his feet out from under him. Slewfoot has ALWAYS been called as a player deliberately kicking out the legs of an opposing player.

And if it even was - why didn't either ref call it originally? Who called a major? If neither called it originally, did the linesman?

Even the broadcast thought it should have been goalie interference only.

EDIT:

And think about it - how many times have you seen a player clip a goalie behind the net when they go out to play the puck? Happens pretty frequently - player skates past, his leg/skate clips the goalie from behind and the goalie falls. I've never seen that ever called slew-footing in my life. It's the same thing that happened here.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Wow can't believe you guys can turn this on Halvy. Go back and re watch all the goals in this series. The Baptiste goal was on the PP right in his wheel house. He's not going to miss that no matter who's in net. How about the 3 on 1 goal or the wrap around off of Bollands skate. Or the gift wrapped pp goal by Dibrincat. Hounds lost plain and simple cause we could not hold our composure together. How about we give a little more credit to how good McDavid truly is.

Styx and Stones

Mar 28, 2012
You had a tremendous year. That was heart thumping hockey all series. Hopefully when the sting of this series loss fades you will find time to reflect on the great moments at the ESSAR this year. Good luck to your graduating players.

Gensfan92

Dec 20, 2014
Oshawa
Heartbreaking finish to a historic season, Generals fans know the feeling all too well, Hounds played their hearts out and should be proud. Not sure if anybody can stop the McDavid train right now.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Wow can't believe you guys can turn this on Halvy. Go back and re watch all the goals in this series. The Baptiste goal was on the PP right in his wheel house. He's not going to miss that no matter who's in net. How about the 3 on 1 goal or the wrap around off of Bollands skate. Or the gift wrapped pp goal by Dibrincat. Hounds lost plain and simple cause we could not hold our composure together. How about we give a little more credit to how good McDavid truly is.

Can you single out any unbelievable saves?

i can't.

Was he a star in any of the games?

:shakehead:

He NEEDED to be.

The lack of discipline was obvious, and thru penalties, put even greater pressure on our weakest link.

On another note, glad the network guys did their homework. Hound Country? Really, Clark?

And not a single mention of the injured Tyler Hore, only our best plus-minus d-man.

Good work.

potvin29

Apr 9, 2012
Can you single out any unbelievable saves?

i can't.

Was he a star in any of the games?

There were a ton of unbelievable saves. I'm not sure how to show you without video of them, but he made a ton in Erie and in the Soo. One in particular in Erie I remember him going post to post to make the save and the announcers raving about it.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Heartbreaking finish to a historic season, Generals fans know the feeling all too well, Hounds played their hearts out and should be proud. Not sure if anybody can stop the McDavid train right now.

All I got to say is if you guys end up playing McDavid. Stay out of the box. Cause if you think he's dangerous 5 on 5 wait till you see what he can do on the pp. He is just so smart he sees things no one else can see and sees it before it happens. He's just that good. He has gears I didn't know existed and he can slow down and speed back up in two strides. I know he's just one man but they can sit back and play good D and pick there opportunities and capitalize on them easily. Williams is beatable upstairs glove hand but good other wise and getting shots though passing lanes is hard and they block a lot of shots. Truly a tough team to play against.

potvin29

Apr 9, 2012
Hounds actually did a good job on McDavid 5v5. This series was determined by special teams. That's where McDavid did almost all the damage.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Wasn't slewfooting. He lost an edge and knocked goalie over, didn't try to swipe his feet out from under him. Slewfoot has ALWAYS been called as a player deliberately kicking out the legs of an opposing player.

And if it even was - why didn't either ref call it originally? Who called a major? If neither called it originally, did the linesman?

Even the broadcast thought it should have been goalie interference only.

EDIT:

And think about it - how many times have you seen a player clip a goalie behind the net when they go out to play the puck? Happens pretty frequently - player skates past, his leg/skate clips the goalie from behind and the goalie falls. I've never seen that ever called slew-footing in my life. It's the same thing that happened here.

Definitely a slew foot - and it cost the Soo the series. No need to blame your goalie in this series - he got you to where you were.

Reflection will happen once the pain recedes.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Just re-watched the Verbeek penalty.

He stuck his leg out while sailing through the crease.

Unnecessary, dumb and costly.

Not worthy of a major, though, Williams is outside the blue paint for one thing,

potvin29

Apr 9, 2012
Definitely a slew foot - and it cost the Soo the series. No need to blame your goalie in this series - he got you to where you were.

Reflection will happen once the pain recedes.

Wasn't a slew foot, but I don't know how else to argue it other than what I've said already so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

potvin29

Apr 9, 2012
Just re-watched the Verbeek penalty.

He stuck his leg out while sailing through the crease.

Unnecessary, dumb and costly.

Not worthy of a major, though, Williams is outside the blue paint for one thing,

But if you look at it as he's turning he loses his edge on the outside skate - if you've played you'll know how that happens - which causes his leg to slide out a bit. It looked pretty clear to me that's what happened.

But in any event, I don't know how you go from neither ref calling anything to a major. They shouldn't be unsure about HUGE calls like that. It's not a clear-cut call either.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Without benefit of review, that gets called 99 out of 100 times.

Not the major, of course, more likely goaltender interference.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Wow come on people be better then that. Verbeek clearly stuck his leg out even if he lost an edge or not. It's defiantly a slew foot and a no doubter you can't blame the refs on that. Then you have DeAngelo losing his cool costing us and Bunting following through with a cross check on Williams driving to the net. It's thing like that you see in the regular season not game 6 down 3-2 with those type of things that got them there in the first place. you take that out of the game and it's looking like we had a real good chance. But you can't continue to give Erie the senseless penalties they will kill you every time and did.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
I found Keefe not as engaged in this series, perhaps he had signed his new contract and moving to the next level or perhaps trying too hard too keep a bunch of undisciplened players to not loose there cool in this series took too much of a toll on him.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The refs hardly ever use to call a slew foot. Now it's more common. It's an iffy call most of the time but your screwed once it's made. The Soo had a great team up there. Most consistent team in the league for the most part. They have an identity as a hard working team that sticks to their system. It's an exciting place to be a fan. Big disappointment tonight but Soo fans are tough. They will be back in full force next season. Good fishing behind that store along the board walk also. Another bonus!

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
RichardN,

Agree.

And, if Erie was going to flex power on the PP, then we had to do the same, and could not.

DeAngelo's absence was felt in the early games, the games where Erie grabbed a win in Soo then later the lead in the series, as our point men failed us with the extra man. Puck was handled like a grenade on the point in those early games.

Lack shooters/QB back there - the biggest reason we needed to acquire A.D.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
I found Keefe not as engaged in this series, perhaps he had signed his new contract and moving to the next level or perhaps trying too hard too keep a bunch of undisciplened players to not loose there cool in this series took too much of a toll on him.

Ritchie did a great job keeping his cool all series. He was an absolute beast for us this playoffs. Anaheim has got one heck of a hockey player heading there way. He has it all and under the right coaching and new team he took his game to a whole new level.

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015

I am just glad that the cocky Soo fans have been put to rest at last....you pretty much had your team going 16-0 sweep through the playoffs.

Feel for one of the Soo assistant coaches Joe Cirella, he was our goalie here in Whitby years ago on our over 35 soccer team.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
RichardN,

Agree.

And, if Erie was going to flex power on the PP, then we had to do the same, and could not.

DeAngelo's absence was felt in the early games, the games where Erie grabbed a win in Soo then later the lead in the series, as our point men failed us with the extra man. Puck was handled like a grenade on the point in those early games.

Lack shooters/QB back there - the biggest reason we needed to acquire A.D.

Bouramman Is a good pp QB but doesn't have the expierience yet to play to that level in the playoffs same for White. Although White impressed the heck out of me all
Series where Bouramman struggled bad. DeAngelo was definitely severely missed not being a 100%. But he sure played his heart out giving every thing he could.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The difference in the series: Erie was a playoff team. Soo a regular season team. Soo more talent, more depth. Erie had decent enough talent to create but needed to grind and work. Blocked shots, disciplined play, special teams, high end scoring chances, and execution of opportunities were all in Erie's favor this series. And I think everyone, but especially you Soo fans underestimated the grind of a long series. And how Erie had enough talent to win if Williams was on his game. I just think winning 99.9% of your games since the deadline and in the postseason hurt your team. Adversity really showed up tonight and turned into Soo not knowing how to handle it and being undisciplined as a result

But what a series. Ritchie, Nurse and Deangelo are amazing. So glad Erie is done with you guys because wow that was a grind and all out battle. No chance Erie could have won game 7 so glad they closed it out tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad