Soo Greyhounds 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
I am just glad that the cocky Soo fans have been put to rest at last....you pretty much had your team going 16-0 sweep through the playoffs.

Feel for one of the Soo assistant coaches Joe Cirella, he was our goalie here in Whitby years ago on our over 35 soccer team.

I would just say more or less being over excited about probably the best team here in decades. Fans here have had to endure a lot of bad teams over the years since the memorial cup days. But that's hockey nothing is guaranteed no matter how good you are. In the end Erie won and that's fine. Hounds worked there butts off and gave all out effort out there and that's all you can ask and hope for. It was a great run and great season but not the end of the world.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
Wasn't a slew foot, but I don't know how else to argue it other than what I've said already so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It was NOT a slew foot as the player clearly was banking hard and at full speed. You don't turn on a 45 degree angle at high speed with skates on and besides even though he clipped him he in no way tried to sweep him or used his upper body to pull while kicking out his legs which is the typical Euro Slewfoot. That's why they had to start calling it in North America.

Also, neither Ref makes the call even though both could see the play and yet to turn that into a 5 minute rather than a 2 minute which goalie interference call should've been was basically giving the game away. But then again all of us watching the game on TSN agreed that Erie would get many, many Powerplays but no one imagined this would happen.

On another note Williams has put the doubters to bed; he's done everything a goalie is counted on to do at the most crucial time of the year. Will be interesting to see if he can ride the consistency going into the OHL Championship games.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The difference in the series: Erie was a playoff team. Soo a regular season team. Soo more talent, more depth. Erie had decent enough talent to create but needed to grind and work. Blocked shots, disciplined play, special teams, high end scoring chances, and execution of opportunities were all in Erie's favor this series. And I think everyone, but especially you Soo fans underestimated the grind of a long series. And how Erie had enough talent to win if Williams was on his game. I just think winning 99.9% of your games since the deadline and in the postseason hurt your team. Adversity really showed up tonight and turned into Soo not knowing how to handle it and being undisciplined as a result

But what a series. Ritchie, Nurse and Deangelo are amazing. So glad Erie is done with you guys because wow that was a grind and all out battle. No chance Erie could have won game 7 so glad they closed it out tonight

The difference in this series was Connor McDavid - period, end of story. He is just that spectacular - or any other superlative you want to use. If he played at his present level in the regular season he would have had 180 points even with the injury. He averaged over 3 points a game against what many thought was the best team in the OHL.

Congratulations to both teams. Great series. It's a shame there had to be a loser. Good luck to Erie.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The difference in the series: Erie was a playoff team. Soo a regular season team. Soo more talent, more depth. Erie had decent enough talent to create but needed to grind and work. Blocked shots, disciplined play, special teams, high end scoring chances, and execution of opportunities were all in Erie's favor this series. And I think everyone, but especially you Soo fans underestimated the grind of a long series. And how Erie had enough talent to win if Williams was on his game. I just think winning 99.9% of your games since the deadline and in the postseason hurt your team. Adversity really showed up tonight and turned into Soo not knowing how to handle it and being undisciplined as a result

But what a series. Ritchie, Nurse and Deangelo are amazing. So glad Erie is done with you guys because wow that was a grind and all out battle. No chance Erie could have won game 7 so glad they closed it out tonight

There's no question that it came down to goaltending. We can analyze the style of play until the cows come home, but the fact is that the Hounds outchanced the Otters by a 2-1 margin for the majority of the series and Devin Williams stood tall, putting on one of the most impressive individual performances in recent memory. Brandon Halverson was okay (4.67 GAA, .846 SV%), but in a series like this the goaltenders have to be above average or great. Had reached the target that Knoblauch set out for Williams (.900), we'd be looking at a short series.

I'll be interested to see how Erie fares against Smith or Appleby, maybe they just have a knack for getting the bounces.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
The difference in this series was Connor McDavid - period, end of story. He is just that spectacular - or any other superlative you want to use. If he played at his present level in the regular season he would have had 180 points even with the injury. He averaged over 3 points a game against what many thought was the best team in the OHL.

Congratulations to both teams. Great series. It's a shame there had to be a loser. Good luck to Erie.

Yep.

any sober media people still suggesting Eichel might go No. 1? Or is a real-close second?

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Heartbreaking finish to a historic season, Generals fans know the feeling all too well, Hounds played their hearts out and should be proud. Not sure if anybody can stop the McDavid train right now.
Good luck to you guys... was hopeful, but skeptical for tonights game. I've never felt good about this series, from the start I think it was written to finish like this. Good luck to Oshawa, hopefully you pull through to a championship. Fearful of what's to come, like much of our talent, Keefe is likely gone too. Scared to see what this team looks like next year. I'm not usually this disappointed by getting knocked out of the playoffs, but the skill on this team is something we haven't seen in a very long time here... and I'm disappointed it went to waste.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Good luck to you guys... was hopeful, but skeptical for tonights game. I've never felt good about this series, from the start I think it was written to finish like this. Good luck to Oshawa, hopefully you pull through to a championship. Fearful of what's to come, like much of our talent, Keefe is likely gone too. Scared to see what this team looks like next year. I'm not usually this disappointed by getting knocked out of the playoffs, but the skill on this team is something we haven't seen in a very long time here... and I'm disappointed it went to waste.

I'd feel better about it if we got outplayed or lost in 4 games to be completely honest. This kind of series just leaves you upset over what could have been with a couple of bounces.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I'd feel better about it if we got outplayed or lost in 4 games to be completely honest. This kind of series just leaves you upset over what could have been with a couple of bounces.
That's pretty much it... it doesn't take much to have this series going the other way. Group of players was capable of so much more, just didn't play out. To those turning this on Halvy, seriously? He wasn't stealing games, but he was far from the biggest problem.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
That's pretty much it... it doesn't take much to have this series going the other way. Group of players was capable of so much more, just didn't play out. To those turning this on Halvy, seriously? He wasn't stealing games, but he was far from the biggest problem.

What was the biggest problem?

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
So many fans on Facebook whining about refs suck and game was fixed and Halvy sucks. People need to just let go it's over we lost. The officials weren't perfect but they were not bad as some of the other games. The slew foot was accidental but you have to realize the league has zero tolerance on that. It was the major difference in the game but we had our
Chances to come back but we couldn't stay out of the box. Major turning point was when Sergie missed that open net when we were down 1 in the 3rd. Then an unfortunate penalty leads to a beauty goal by Baptiste. Man is he ever dangerous shooting from there. That put the Hounds behind the 8 ball and caused them to really open up hanging Halvy out to dry. He managed to give them another chance saving a break away but what can you do right after that against a 3 on 1 with McDavid and company? Halverson is in no way responsible for the loss tonight or the loss in the series. He made lots of 3rd period saves keeping them in it but when your trying to come back and it's pp after pp you have no chance.

Bottom line is we lost and instead of making excuses of blaming certain players, coaching and refs we should be giving more credit to Erie they played a great series and there game plan worked. Our game plan was working as long as we stayed out of the box but in the end we didn't do it enough to win the series.

I am for one proud of the Hounds and there season and the effort given. Nothing to be ashamed about losing to Erie. It's disappointing and easy to say what if. But that's hockey and the teams saying what if instead of executing usually don't win. This series could have went either way but we all have to let go and accept it.

I know I was one of Halvy's biggest critics early on but honestly he put my concerns to rest after the deadline. It would have been nice to bring in a vet backup but honestly we didn't need it. We were in every game and not one game did he cost us. We simply beat our selves. No goalie in this league could contain McDavid and especially giving him that many pp's.

potvin29

Apr 9, 2012
“It was a very accidental event,” Keefe said of the play. “It was a player that loses his balance, not a player that’s known for anything of the sort. Verbeek lost his balance and it made him lose control of his body and he made some contact with the back of their goalie’s legs. It’s a really tough call. The referees didn’t see it and it was the linesmen that made the call. I have the benefit of replay to see that he lost his balance. He had no intent but the league has really cracked down on those and there’s zero tolerance so it is what it is.”

LOL just as I suspected. A friggin' linesman made the call.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
LOL just as I suspected. A friggin' linesman made the call.

Dude let it go. It doesn't matter who called it. It was called, was the turning point of the game. Games over. Soo had there chances and did not capitalize. More than half the game remained at the time of the call and only down by 2. That's enough time too get your crap together and make a game of it. Instead the better team played composed and the other team lacked discipline. That's it.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
So many fans on Facebook whining about refs suck and game was fixed and Halvy sucks. People need to just let go it's over we lost. The officials weren't perfect but they were not bad as some of the other games. The slew foot was accidental but you have to realize the league has zero tolerance on that. It was the major difference in the game but we had our
Chances to come back but we couldn't stay out of the box. Major turning point was when Sergie missed that open net when we were down 1 in the 3rd. Then an unfortunate penalty leads to a beauty goal by Baptiste. Man is he ever dangerous shooting from there. That put the Hounds behind the 8 ball and caused them to really open up hanging Halvy out to dry. He managed to give them another chance saving a break away but what can you do right after that against a 3 on 1 with McDavid and company? Halverson is in no way responsible for the loss tonight or the loss in the series. He made lots of 3rd period saves keeping them in it but when your trying to come back and it's pp after pp you have no chance.

Bottom line is we lost and instead of making excuses of blaming certain players, coaching and refs we should be giving more credit to Erie they played a great series and there game plan worked. Our game plan was working as long as we stayed out of the box but in the end we didn't do it enough to win the series.

I am for one proud of the Hounds and there season and the effort given. Nothing to be ashamed about losing to Erie. It's disappointing and easy to say what if. But that's hockey and the teams saying what if instead of executing usually don't win. This series could have went either way but we all have to let go and accept it.

I know I was one of Halvy's biggest critics early on but honestly he put my concerns to rest after the deadline. It would have been nice to bring in a vet backup but honestly we didn't need it. We were in every game and not one game did he cost us. We simply beat our selves. No goalie in this league could contain McDavid and especially giving him that many pp's.

Erie scored 4.87 goals in the regular season, we gave up 4.67 this series. This on much fewer chances than normal. Erie rarely got out-chanced in the regular season, but did 6 straight games in this series for sure.

He was ok, average, whatever you want to call it. He made big saves, he let in weak goals. I'm not hating on him, I defended him all season, but average just isn't good enough in the playoffs when the other goalie is sensational. We couldn't expect much more from the rest of the team. They thoroughly outplayed an extremely talented opponent for most of the series.

OHL fan all the way

Jan 15, 2015
Niagara
Wow can't believe you guys can turn this on Halvy. Go back and re watch all the goals in this series. The Baptiste goal was on the PP right in his wheel house. He's not going to miss that no matter who's in net. How about the 3 on 1 goal or the wrap around off of Bollands skate. Or the gift wrapped pp goal by Dibrincat. Hounds lost plain and simple cause we could not hold our composure together. How about we give a little more credit to how good McDavid truly is.

Excuses! How about all the sure goals Williams saved?

It's always excuses with you...The Soo has the better team, they were thwarted by a hot goalie, period.

OHL fan all the way

Jan 15, 2015
Niagara
I would just say more or less being over excited about probably the best team here in decades. Fans here have had to endure a lot of bad teams over the years since the memorial cup days. But that's hockey nothing is guaranteed no matter how good you are. In the end Erie won and that's fine. Hounds worked there butts off and gave all out effort out there and that's all you can ask and hope for. It was a great run and great season but not the end of the world.

Well said, I guess you aren't a sore loser after all, best of luck next season.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Excuses! How about all the sure goals Williams saved?

It's always excuses with you...The Soo has the better team, they were thwarted by a hot goalie, period.

Not excuses just defending Halvy. Williams was great but beatable. Erie played tight in there own end didn't give the Sault many 2 on 1's and blocked a lot of shots. Erie also did a phenomenal job controlling the rebounds limiting 2nd chances. Williams stole game 3 for sure. I believe that left the Hounds very frustrated and left a lot of Hound Shooters snake bitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad