Sony PS4 #9: Your Exclusive Home for Exclusives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I guess I just don't get what some people are doing to their controllers. I've never had a DS3 or a DS4 break. Are you people throwing them across the room, or slamming them into tables or something?

Same. I have never had a controller break on me, ever.

The worst thing that's happened with my PS4 controller is the rubber wearing off on the thumbsticks.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Same. I have never had a controller break on me, ever.

The worst thing that's happened with my PS4 controller is the rubber wearing off on the thumbsticks.

Yeah, I had to buy covers for the thumbsticks on my original PS4 controller...but I haven't had a controller of any type break since I threw a N64 controller at a wall in frustration some 17 years ago :laugh:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I guess I just don't get what some people are doing to their controllers. I've never had a DS3 or a DS4 break. Are you people throwing them across the room, or slamming them into tables or something?
I've broken:

- One DS3 and even that was just the L3 button, it was my primary controller for over 3 years so I'd imagine it was just wear.

- One DS2, or technically it wasn't broken, the left stick was just worn to the point where it wouldn't return back to center position.

- One PS1 controller, I don't remember what happened to it, but I didn't throw it around or anything. It was the original controller that came with the console and IIRC it didn't even have the thumb sticks nor rumble for that matter.

I did break that Nintendo Duckhunt pistol thingy by dropping it, or maybe I smashed it against a table or something.. my older sis would remember lol. To be fair I was like under 5yo at the time.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I think I'm on controller 4 right now. First one the one stick just stopped going forward properly, it would just go to the side. Second one the springs broke in the triggers, so I tried taking it apart to remove the springs, and then a couple months after it stopped charging, and my third one had the same spring problem and also in games like CoD it wouldn't sprint properly or give speed bursts in NHL.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I broke way more DS3s than any other controller. Broke... 3 or 4 of them? Mainly because the plastic around the joysticks aren't durable and will basically bend and snap in less than a year because of playing NHL games.

I have one ****ed up DS4, but that's the one trigger not working right. Not sure how to fix it.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
My big issue is that the handles. Since adding the extra length to them when compared the to DS3 it has weakened the structural integrity of the whole controller. When I play and get mad or get into a high stress point in a game I will twist or push in on the handles as opposed to say throwing it across the room. Now when I do this I have disconnected the black and colored portion of the controller to the point that it is uncomfortable to hold the controller, popped out trigger button or joy sticks, and in some cases literally snapped it in half. If they were to add more weight to the handle portion instead of leaving it hollow and change it back to the two halves held together by screws instead of plastic grooves it would greatly improve the controller.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
My big issue is that the handles. Since adding the extra length to them when compared the to DS3 it has weakened the structural integrity of the whole controller. When I play and get mad or get into a high stress point in a game I will twist or push in on the handles as opposed to say throwing it across the room. Now when I do this I have disconnected the black and colored portion of the controller to the point that it is uncomfortable to hold the controller, popped out trigger button or joy sticks, and in some cases literally snapped it in half. If they were to add more weight to the handle portion instead of leaving it hollow and change it back to the two halves held together by screws instead of plastic grooves it would greatly improve the controller.

Ah yes the rage break. We've all been there. :laugh: :cry:

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Not to judge what anyone else does, but I can't see how anyone would be surprised at a controller breaking/sticking/not working properly if they twist/squeeze/throw/drop it. I don't do that with my controllers which is probably why I have never, ever had one break.

Edit: I lied. I did have one break when I dropped it into a pitcher of water I had sitting next to my chair. So there is that.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Not to judge what anyone else does, but I can't see how anyone would be surprised at a controller breaking/sticking/not working properly if they twist/squeeze/throw/drop it. I don't do that with my controllers which is probably why I have never, ever had one break.

Edit: I lied. I did have one break when I dropped it into a pitcher of water I had sitting next to my chair. So there is that.

You never had one break over use? I call bull. Especially if you had a wired one

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have owned consoles since NES and I have never broken a controller (just by use) until I got an Xbox One. I broke 4 or 5 of them, all in the same spot all of the same component. A plastic clip inside the left thumbstick.

I still refuse to blame myself!

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I have owned consoles since NES and I have never broken a controller (just by use) until I got an Xbox One. I broke 4 or 5 of them, all in the same spot all of the same component. A plastic clip inside the left thumbstick.

I still refuse to blame myself!

Xbox does it so you give them more money

You could throw a nes controller and it would be perfectly intact

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Controllers are a lot more complicated and involve a lot more components than they used to, it goes without saying that an NES controller is more sturdy than an XBox or PS4 or whatever controller because there's just less to break.

That said, no, I've never had a controller break out of regular use. The only ones I've ever had break were a cheap third party SNES controllers that just stopped working and a N64 controller that I threw at a wall (despite the laundry list of complaints I have about the N64 and that controller design it's kinda hard to blame Nintendo for that one).

There's bound to be a lemon on occasion, but I always get baffled when I hear about people going through a ton of controllers.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm still on my day 1 launch controller. The rubber on the sticks are ruined, but other than that, everything else works fine.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Controllers are a lot more complicated and involve a lot more components than they used to, it goes without saying that an NES controller is more sturdy than an XBox or PS4 or whatever controller because there's just less to break.

That said, no, I've never had a controller break out of regular use. The only ones I've ever had break were a cheap third party SNES controllers that just stopped working and a N64 controller that I threw at a wall (despite the laundry list of complaints I have about the N64 and that controller design it's kinda hard to blame Nintendo for that one).

There's bound to be a lemon on occasion, but I always get baffled when I hear about people going through a ton of controllers.

When people go through a ton it's a problem. Even if the controllers are terrible they aren't like a new one every month bad

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
You never had one break over use? I call bull. Especially if you had a wired one

I mean, I have zero reason to lie to a message board about broken controllers?

The only time I ever remember having a broken controller is when I've dropped it in a pitcher of water.

I have had a sticky thumbstick or trigger button before, but I have never had a controller cease to function. I just don't understand what people are doing to have gone through 4-5 controllers per console. That's insane to me.

My baby loves to pick up my controllers and leave them on the floor in my game room and I've stepped on them countless times. No issues. To me, if you're going through several controllers per console (not to even mention in the same like...year period) you're either super, super, super hard on your controller or you've got really bad luck.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I mean, I have zero reason to lie to a message board about broken controllers?

The only time I ever remember having a broken controller is when I've dropped it in a pitcher of water.

I have had a sticky thumbstick or trigger button before, but I have never had a controller cease to function. I just don't understand what people are doing to have gone through 4-5 controllers per console. That's insane to me.

My baby loves to pick up my controllers and leave them on the floor in my game room and I've stepped on them countless times. No issues. To me, if you're going through several controllers per console (not to even mention in the same like...year period) you're either super, super, super hard on your controller or you've got really bad luck.

Not many people have a lot that "cease to function". They talk broken like the joystick will keep moving upwards or whatever. Unless you play very little. It's probably impossible it's never happened to you

Some people will throw it and such but that's on them and they really can't complain

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Wow Shovel Knight is a great game.

Its funny I played Shovel Knight and then I played The Order 1886 and I can honestly say Shovel Knight looks waaay better.

And Japan needs to stop making Ninja Storm and Dynasty Warriors clones. I mean Dynasty Warriors I can at least understand the appeal, but these Ninja Storm clones are just horrible. Who actually thinks they're good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad