Sonny Milano

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Every new coach has different standards, different expectations. Basically it's the first excuse the new coach has if the team isn't winning is the guys aren't in shape to play "my style of hockey".
To use a football analogy not many people questioned OSU's training under Coach Tressell (except maybe for the O-line) but new Coach comes in, brings in his new strength and conditioning guy, rips the team apart, questions their man hood, tries to get the quitters to quit.
No new coach will ever come in and say "I inherited the most talented, most well conditioned team ever. If we don't win the cup this year I should be fired".
But Hitch does have different expectations (and namely more defensive responsibility which makes life tougher on forwards) and during his brief time here he has pointed out the conditioning. Next year he won't have that excuse - because it will be his program, not one he took over in mid-year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What you're describing I call tanking. If you're doing testing and tryouts rather than going all out to win, you're tanking.

I think of that as making the best of a bad situation. It's not a deliberate attempt to lose. It's not cheering for losing. It's not deliberately undermining the team.

When Boll and Campbell start getting more regular minutes ahead of the kids, then I'll call it tanking.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think of that as making the best of a bad situation. It's not a deliberate attempt to lose. It's not cheering for losing. It's not deliberately undermining the team.

When Boll and Campbell start getting more regular minutes ahead of the kids, then I'll call it tanking.

Agreed. I see this as binary: you're either in the playoff hunt or you're not. By that logic, we've already successfully tanked (I know this isn't the *true* definition). Might as well turn the attention fully to preparing for next year.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Good for Sonny. I'd also be interested in knowing what NHL scouts are at this game as there's a part of me that thinks he's being showcased to potential suitors for a package trade in the summer.

I doubt it. They have already said they want to give the young guys a look. And it is great to let him play close to home. People overthink things way too often.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
As I have said so many times, in a non play-off season I love seeing these guys called up to get a few games of NHL money. Now I know that isn't the only reason Milano was called up. They obviously want to give him a look at this level since he has seemed to make a positive adjustment to the pro game in Cleveland.

But still, even a couple of NHL games will make a huge difference in his annual income, and that is a good enough reason to bring him up. I just wish they could do it for all the guys in Cleveland.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good for him. Excited to see him.

I bet yu could fry an egg on Rychel and Anderson's heads

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Give them a taste. Let them see the level they have to achieve to make it to the NHL so they'll work hard in the off-season. Makes sense to me.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm excited to see how he performs in the NHL. With a bit more seasoning, I think you guys have a gem in Milano. I wanted Nill to take him or Fabbri in 2014, but he took Honka :(

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I still think he is highly likely to bust, however it's plays like the one in Jersey that make me hope this kid can put everything together.

https://www.nhl.com/video/saads-second-goal-of-the-night/t-277350912/c-43188703

I got tired of the same old threads so I'm brining this one back to light, what are your thoughts on Sonny? What are you hoping to see? What do you expect from this year, could he surprise and make the team?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think he's very highly skilled and I think he could be a lethal scorer in the NHL. He was very good in his NHL games and very noticeable with his speed and offense. I think he might be trade bait unfortunately, but I am very sure he won't bust if he's given time to develop, and I am not sure where this bust thing has come from with him (you're not alone). People forget that two years ago in Plymouth was basically an off year for him. He should have stayed in college. He was playing against men as a 19 year old, and got off to a slow start. He was very good in the playoffs for Cleveland and I think he will build on this. He's got lots of time and lots of skill. We just need to be patient.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think he's very highly skilled and I think he could be a lethal scorer in the NHL. He was very good in his NHL games and very noticeable with his speed and offense. I think he might be trade bait unfortunately, but I am very sure he won't bust if he's given time to develop, and I am not sure where this bust thing has come from with him (you're not alone). People forget that two years ago in Plymouth was basically an off year for him. He should have stayed in college. He was playing against men as a 19 year old, and got off to a slow start. He was very good in the playoffs for Cleveland and I think he will build on this. He's got lots of time and lots of skill. We just need to be patient.

I just see him busting because of his defensive game, overuse/reliance on his backhand, and his personality (off the ice I've talked to him multiple times and just really don't like his attitude)

Maybe I'm just being hard on him and saying this Bc he was drawing comparisons to Patty Kane at the draft. I don't see him turning out anywhere near Kane but I think he could be a .3-.5 point per game (2nd/3rd line) player in the NHL possibly someday, if he rounds out his game and continues to develop.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
It's way too early to call him a bust at this point.. He really turned up the scoring in the playoffs with Lake Erie and he was playing on their 4th line there.. I think he can have a good year for Lake Erie as he is being relied upon more.

Yes, he needs to work on some areas.. But, seeing as how he went to prospect Development camp, been working out in Columbus the last two offseasons for a bit, I don't see why people don't think he'll put the work in. And, I can't believe I have to say this for a skilled forward prospect, we just need to get him to use a forehand shot on occasion lol

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think he's going to be a bust, but I'm tempering expectations for him. There's a reason he dropped as far as he did. He's got all the talent in the world but I don't necessarily see the drive. If he had the drive and determination of someone like Bjorkstrand he could very well be the next Patty Kane, but I don't think he'll ever get it. I do think his speed and playmaking ability carry him and let's him at least get a chance in the next season or two. If we see a few injuries I think he'll get a legitimate look this season.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I don't think he's going to be a bust, but I'm tempering expectations for him. There's a reason he dropped as far as he did. He's got all the talent in the world but I don't necessarily see the drive. If he had the drive and determination of someone like Bjorkstrand he could very well be the next Patty Kane, but I don't think he'll ever get it. I do think his speed and playmaking ability carry him and let's him at least get a chance in the next season or two. If we see a few injuries I think he'll get a legitimate look this season.
Milano dropped? What? He was always projected as a mid/late-1st rounder.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm sorry for not thinking Milano is the next Crosby. /yawn (so tired of you)

Oh look, extreme hyperbole. Yes, everyone around here is calling him the next Crosby. What an asinine analogy.

Come on get your crap together and do some honest posting already. There is a huge gap between "bust" and "the next Crosby" that you could embrace. You know the place that most of are in. Instead you just go around trashing our prospects.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Milano dropped? What? He was always projected as a mid/late-1st rounder.

Maybe dropped wasn't the right word. But I remember at the draft his rankings for hands and all that stuff were near perfect better than a lot of others drafted ahead of him.

Buttons scouting report only had his skating and shot at 4/5 everything else was 5/5. I just remember thinking how in the world did this kid fall all the way to 16 if he's that good.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad