Sonny Milano

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
o rly

I guess we really are considering a "play all the kids" plan next year - taking a look at each of them in advance.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Tank on.

No, kidding...will be interesting to watch him. I know he's played much better of late for Lake Erie. Still, some have concerns about his "team play" or play away from the puck. Let's see what he's got.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If nothing else, it's a great gesture by the team. The kid is from the area and all of his people can easily come to the game.

It's always good to give prospects a brief stint in the NHL early on-whether they are ready for it or not. They benefit by seeing what they need to work on and they also get a taste of what their ultimate goal is.

After seeing Bourque, Boll and Campbell play, he can also develop a resentment for being stuck in the AHL.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
o rly

I guess we really are considering a "play all the kids" plan next year - taking a look at each of them in advance.

Smart move by Torts, glad to see that hes using the rest of the year to evauluate what possibly can help next year. I have no problem playing the kids. Someone mentioned yesterday that they spoke to Torts, and its open competition from the goal position down. Camp will be brutal, and we will find out who wants to be here.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I've never seen the org embrace the tank so much. Milano? Savard-Jones pairing? Break up all of our lines as soon as they show chemistry?

It's weird that it's happening after the lottery odds were changed to discourage tanking. So who's a fool, the tanking teams or the league?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I've never seen the org embrace the tank so much. Milano? Savard-Jones pairing? Break up all of our lines as soon as they show chemistry?

It's weird that it's happening after the lottery odds were changed to discourage tanking. So who's a fool, the tanking teams or the league?

I dont think they are embracing "tanking" at all. Have you seen Torts last 2 press conferences ? Once they were officially eliminated from the playoffs, Torts turned focus to see what he has to work with for next year. Remember, that he didnt eveno know most of our players names, when he came in.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

As somebody who's come to the realization that the current core of this team isn't nearly as good as we thought it was and has had mixed feelings on the idea of tanking, I've got absolutely no objections to this. It's time to see what we've got.

Also keep in mind that Milano has, to an extent, turned it around after a dreadful first half. He's not undeserving of a call up.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
As somebody who's come to the realization that the current core of this team isn't nearly as good as we thought it was...

Who said that current core isn't good? :thumbd:it's really anathematic delirium. Our players are good, but they were in weak physical condition, Tort told about it. Team simply needs good reconditioning this summer and next season we ll be fine. Our G duo is good and D core more better if every TOP 6 player scores 15-20 + goals we ll be in playoffs and then only sky is our limit

CBJfan44

Mar 13, 2015
I'm really impressed with Milano's attitude. He seemed to have had a rough first half to the season, even there being talks of him going back to juniors when London traded for his rights. He's really picked it up the second half of the season, and his production has helped Lake Erie with their playoff push.

I'm all for rewarding a young guy who turned his season around. We need more guys with that type of attitude.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I dont think they are embracing "tanking" at all. Have you seen Torts last 2 press conferences ? Once they were officially eliminated from the playoffs, Torts turned focus to see what he has to work with for next year. Remember, that he didnt eveno know most of our players names, when he came in.

What you're describing I call tanking. If you're doing testing and tryouts rather than going all out to win, you're tanking.

5StringBuzz

May 10, 2007
Columbus, OH
Who said that current core isn't good? :thumbd:it's really anathematic delirium. Our players are good, but they were in weak physical condition, Tort told about it. Team simply needs good reconditioning this summer and next season we ll be fine. Our G duo is good and D core more better if every TOP 6 player scores 15-20 + goals we ll be in playoffs and then only sky is our limit

I can't remember ever NOT hearing this about a CBJ team. How could there be so many seasons where our "good" players come to camp physically unprepared? This is their job, and many of them are paid millions for the privilege of having that job. If it's true that they came in unprepared yet again, there's no way to excuse it. Talent is fine, but you don't qualify as a good player if you don't do absolutely everything necessary to exploit your talent.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
What you're describing I call tanking. If you're doing testing and tryouts rather than going all out to win, you're tanking.

Guess its all perspective. The way I look at it, once the playoffs are out of reach, you start figuring out how you make the playoffs the next year. The only way to win a cup, is to make the playoffs. Many of these young players have a much higher ceiling than some of our current roster positions. So I'm sure they want to see how close these players are, so they can make the appropriate moves in the summer. I'm sure Torts has a pretty big say in what they do this summer as well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I can't remember ever NOT hearing this about a CBJ team. How could there be so many seasons where our "good" players come to camp physically unprepared? This is their job, and many of them are paid millions for the privilege of having that job. If it's true that they came in unprepared yet again, there's no way to excuse it. Talent is fine, but you don't qualify as a good player if you don't do absolutely everything necessary to exploit your talent.

Simple answer: it's not true. Every team does standard fitness testing in camp and the Jackets didn't test poorly.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

From all accounts, the front office insists that the players tested in shape. What hes trying to say is that whats in shape for Torts, is not testing average, at the nhl level. He wants his team to be the best conditioned team in the league. And dubinsky said he felt this is why they started the seasons so well after coming out of a torts camp.

Tortorella took issue with the players’ level of conditioning almost from the moment he was hired on Oct. 21.
One period into his tenure, the following night at Minnesota, Tortorella called out center Ryan Johansen in front of his teammates in the dressing room, telling him he wasn’t in good enough shape.
Tortorella repeatedly has said that the Blue Jackets can’t keep pace at the level he wants to practice, and has even taken blame on two occasions for wearing them out before games with practices that he “didn’t think would be too much.”
Now, Tortorella looks ahead at the Blue Jackets schedule — the second half won’t be as intense as the first — and smiles at the opportunity those off days create.

“The level he gets his teams to, it’s a level unlike anything I’ve see in the NHL,” Dubinsky said. “I don’t mean that as a knock on any of the other coaches I’ve had, it’s just the truth.
“He wants his team to be in the best shape of any team in the NHL. From my experience with him in New York, we felt invincible. Our starts (to the season) were always strong, and I think it had a lot to do with us being in better shape than anybody else.”
Tortorella often talks about wanting his teams to play with swagger. But that’s hard to do if you’re gasping for air after long shifts.
“(Conditioning) is a huge part of it,” he said. “I’m not going to say we’re there. This team is not there.
“I don’t want to be negative about it, but I want to be honest with you. I’m looking short term here, but I also look long term at what I think are some of the improvements we need to make.”

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Tank on.

No, kidding...will be interesting to watch him. I know he's played much better of late for Lake Erie. Still, some have concerns about his "team play" or play away from the puck. Let's see what he's got.

I know a lot of people don't like +/-, but he must be doing something right. He is a +10 in the AHL and was a +9 at the World Junior Championships. He has things to work on, no doubt, but I never thought he was as bad (when it comes to the things you listed) as others have.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Good for Sonny. I'd also be interested in knowing what NHL scouts are at this game as there's a part of me that thinks he's being showcased to potential suitors for a package trade in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad