Confirmed with Link: Sonny Milano to sign, forgo College

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Plymouth owns his rights.

I do NOT think he is eligible for AHL. Only Euros are 1st year eligible , it has something to do with the NHL/CHL agreement.

He is AHL eligible as he has not committed to nor skated for a CHL team. The last, perhaps best example of this, would be John Carlson, who played in the AHL late in his 18 year old season, and full-time in his 19 year old season.

http://theahl.com/faq-p137653

What is the minimum age for an AHL player?

Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

For further clarification (and an excellent article that clears up the fog):

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

The gyst:

Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.

Essentially, this rule is to protect the CHL teams from losing talent just as they are becoming stars. No CHL means a player 18 years or older is eligible to play wherever he wants.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. In his case, I think a year in the OHL would be ideal, but would also argue that he could be AHL ready when he's 19, like many other first round prospects. He would be a go-to guy in Plymouth, whereas in Springfield, where does he fit in amongst all of the other talented young forwards we have?

Tough decision there. I have to think he defaults to the CBJ on this one and lets them make the call.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
He is AHL eligible as he has not committed to nor skated for a CHL team. The last, perhaps best example of this, would be John Carlson, who played in the AHL late in his 18 year old season, and full-time in his 19 year old season.

http://theahl.com/faq-p137653

For further clarification (and an excellent article that clears up the fog):

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

The gyst:

Essentially, this rule is to protect the CHL teams from losing talent just as they are becoming stars. No CHL means a player 18 years or older is eligible to play wherever he wants.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. In his case, I think a year in the OHL would be ideal, but would also argue that he could be AHL ready when he's 19, like many other first round prospects. He would be a go-to guy in Plymouth, whereas in Springfield, where does he fit in amongst all of the other talented young forwards we have?

Tough decision there. I have to think he defaults to the CBJ on this one and lets them make the call.

I'd agree that he would normally be better off playing with Plymouth. This year, it might be better he play with Springfield and our other top targets. It could be good for all of them playing together.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I thought the reasons given for why he was wise to go the college route made sense, but it's not my life and I'm not the one who would be deferring my first big payday, so I'll just wait and hope the decision works out well for all concerned.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So my question is if he goes to Plymouth this year, can he play in Springfield next year because he wasn't drafted out of the OHL?

Or is once he goes to Plymouth he either has to stay there until he is 20 or play on the CBJ and Springfield isn't an option until after he's done in the OHL?

1.) Yes, he CAN go to the AHL this year. He was drafted out of the USHL, which does not have the same type of agreement that the OHL has with the NHL.

2.) He can play in Plymouth this year and then play in the AHL next year is that's what Jarmo and Co. want.

Either way, and this is probably most important for you guys -- as long as he doesn't play in more than 9 NHL games, his ELC will slide this year.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
1.) Yes, he CAN go to the AHL this year. He was drafted out of the USHL, which does not have the same type of agreement that the OHL has with the NHL.

2.) He can play in Plymouth this year and then play in the AHL next year is that's what Jarmo and Co. want.

Either way, and this is probably most important for you guys -- as long as he doesn't play in more than 9 NHL games, his ELC will slide this year.

If he signs/plays with Plymouth, then he falls under that CHL agreement and thus would give up his AHL eligibility until 2017.

CBJWhaler

Jan 10, 2013
Livonia, Michigan
If he signs/plays with Plymouth, then he falls under that CHL agreement and thus would give up his AHL eligibility until 2017.

Not true Plymouth had a situation with Connor Carrick last year where he started the year in Plymouth but Moved to the AHL as a 19 year old because he was drafted out of the USHL

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
There are positives and negatives to either decision.

With BC, he would have put on muscle and played against larger opponents.

With Plymouth, he plays more games in a season and was able to sign with Columbus and will attend training camp in the fall.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Nice statement.

I couldn't imagine the level of indecision which I would have had at 18 given Milano's options.

That he shifted gears and opted for junior over NCAA hockey is perfectly understandable. He'd rather play hockey full time and maximize his potential than sit in some absurdly overrated survey college courses. I can't blame him one bit. I think he chose the proper route for himself.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I see no mention of pressure from, or even consultation with, the Jackets front office. Is that to be believed or is it just understood that the team had input in the decision?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I see no mention of pressure from, or even consultation with, the Jackets front office. Is that to be believed or is it just understood that the team had input in the decision?

Just understood. If they weren't providing any input to one of their top prospects, it'd be weird.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I feel there's a firm difference b/t "providing input" and "applying pressure" though. I think you're trying to stretch it into something it may or may not be.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I feel there's a firm difference b/t "providing input" and "applying pressure" though. I think you're trying to stretch it into something it may or may not be.

I agree, that's a significant distinction. It was previously stated that the team had provided information regarding both paths and it was implied that both were acceptable to the Jackets. I know that some thought Milano might be steered toward Plymouth, that's why I wondered if the wording of his statement was important.

I bought the reasons given for him going to BC, but I don't blame him for changing his mind.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I wish he hadn't renigged on his commitment, but I don't feel too bad for BC, college athletes are cheap labor in the grand scheme of things.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 1m
Confirmed: #CBJ not pleased at Boston College suggestion they played any role in Sonny Milano decision. CBJ insist they stayed out of it.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

From the BC coach "Sonny has informed me he will sign a contract with Columbus. They will dictate his path"

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
also

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 12m
#CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen: "We have a lot of respect for Boston College, their program and their ability to develop players. We also have ...

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 11m
"the same kind of respect for Plymouth and their ability to develop players ... which is why we didn't get involved (in Sonny Milano's) ...

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 11m
"... decision. We left it up to the player and his family from the get-go."

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think it was a passive-aggressive opinion of the BC coach.

None of us know what happened, but I think it's clear he THINKS he knows.

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
Let me clarify that he can play in the ahl when his ohl season concludes. He may start in the ahl if he is 20 years old before January 1st.

I think he will regret this decision. He might be rushing his talent. Signing bonuses are hard to deny for amateur players. I hope I'm wrong and he will not regret this decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad