Movies: Sonic the Hedgehog (Trailer Released, Backlash, Director Responds)

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I saw Sonic the Hedgehog today and will say it isn't as bad as you think. The movie was pretty OK. It had its moments. I chuckled a few times. Not so bad if you keep in mind the movie is aimed at kids.
The problem I have with that is the people who know Sonic the most are adults.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't have any interest in the movie (because I never really played the games and the movie doesn't look appealing), but I'm glad that it's doing well. The execs did the right thing, listened to the complaints and went $5M over budget to try to appease the fans, who have rewarded them for it. Score one for the internet mob.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I saw it last night (nothing else out) avoid. It is very mediocre, not Cats bad or a trainwreck, just not good. 5/10

If you have young kids they will enjoy, very family safe. Carrey is also good, but nowhere good enough to save it.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
I took my 7 year old daughter to this and without seeing any trailer or knowing anything about it, i kinda enjoyed it. There were some really funny parts and i liked Jim Carrey's role. By no means a must see, but for having zero expectations, worth the 90 minutes.

Also, packed theater and during the post credits, people went BANANAS. Never seen a reaction like this in post credits before lol

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
So how long until the conspiracy theories start on how the original trailer was a publicity stunt.

That or New Coke comparisons or something. Not sure I can remember a turn around like this.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Saw it yesterday and it exceeded expectations. It wasn't a "good" film but it was a fine throwback 90s type kids action movie with some stuff for the adults. Definitely watchable.

Marsden was actually good. It almost redeems his bland portrayal of Cyclops.

Jim Carey looked like he was having fun. Some throwback stuff to his 90s days.

The movie did well enough it looks like they'll have a sequel. I'm impressed.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It has a 95% Audience Score at RT...
Which is insane to me, every review here has been the same as mine, a great recovery from the disaster of a trailer but not a good movie. I agree with the critic reviews on RT, no clue what im missing

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
My 3 and 5 year old nephews just had to see so we went today. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I mean no Oscar contender but the kids loved it and were quiet for the whole movie so that's all that matters.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Which is insane to me, every review here has been the same as mine, a great recovery from the disaster of a trailer but not a good movie. I agree with the critic reviews on RT, no clue what im missing
I think a lot of people are giving it higher marks just because video game movies are typically really bad, and this is better than that.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I bought the retro Sega system when it came out last year and my kids have gotten into Sonic quite a bit, so I'll likely take them to this on the weekend.

I've had the system for a while, but it's only been the last month or two that they've shown interest, and I'm guessing that there must be kids talking about it in school due to the movie.

It's a pretty good success for a property that I would have assumed had little relevance to the current generation.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I really hope this leads to some kind of Sonic resurgence, I always loved those games and that cartoon.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Grew up as a Sonic fan, so I'll check this out when I got time this weekend.

I gotta admit though: I'm not sure how one can really move Sonic forward as a gaming franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad