Movies: Sonic the Hedgehog (Trailer Released, Backlash, Director Responds)

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This is honestly incredible. :laugh:

So this gets dropped on Tuesday and it's actually remarkable how bad it looks. Not even just the movie itself, Sonic's animation is beyond creepy.

The backlash was so outstanding, the director actually responded and said they're going to fix the animation and they want it to be successful. It actually makes me want to go see the movie, he actually listened to the crowd.

I'm intrigued to see how this goes from here. :laugh:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
This is honestly incredible. :laugh:

So this gets dropped on Tuesday and it's actually remarkable how bad it looks. Not even just the movie itself, Sonic's animation is beyond creepy.

The backlash was so outstanding, the director actually responded and said they're going to fix the animation and they want it to be successful. It actually makes me want to go see the movie, he actually listened to the crowd.

I'm intrigued to see how this goes from here. :laugh:

Plot twist: this was part of their plan all along.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
current mood:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Plot twist: this was part of their plan all along.
There's a certain level of charm to how bad this looks/the response regarding changing the design. Actually does make me wonder how much of this is intentionally bad to generate buzz. Doesn't seem like they were going for intentionally bad, but it may just be done with more subtlety. Gangsta's Paradise is just TOO bizarre of a song choice to not have more thought put into it.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Everybody hated it from the second they release a teaser poster showing his silhouette.

I was looking forward to it being a hideous abomination.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What's hilarious is that like a couple months ago they released (or possibly leaked) some promo art and poster designs that showed this sonic design and the response was resoundingly negative. But they ignored that, cut together a trailer, crept a couple months closer to release and only now are they seemingly realizing "well ****, I guess the design really was that bad" and vowing to change it. They would've been better off trying to fix it if they had extra time to play with it.

Also it's kind of funny to see that the first thing anyone did (including myself) with the promo art was fix it by giving Sonic his larger, conjoined eyes back. And it makes worlds of difference in how off-putting the face is. But we probably won't see that because apparently we're going to adhere to some sort of "realism" stance about the impossibility of that kind of eyeball design in a movie a bout a bipedal, humanoid, talking blue hedgehog with superspeed powers that laugh in the face of physics.

Reactions: zombie kopitar

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
For all the people complaining about how stupid it looks....it's a live action Sonic the Hedgehog. How can it not look stupid? I mean, what did you really expect?

It was a fun game to play when you were 8 but nostalgia can only go so far.

Reactions: tacogeoff

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
For all the people complaining about how stupid it looks....it's a live action Sonic the Hedgehog. How can it not look stupid? I mean, what did you really expect?

just make it actually look like Sonic. Detective Pikachu looks fine because he actually looks like Pikachu, not some bizarre yellow monkey/human hybrid from a genetics lab dumpster

Reactions: donghabs98

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Ding ding ding.

Honestly. Its a blue video game hedgehog in a live action movie. It was going to be dumb no matter what.

Reactions: Voight and CPTN71

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah that’s the thing. They managed to make live action Pokémon not look stupid. There is no excuse for the design to be this bad, even if the rest of the movie is trash

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It wasn't THAT terrible, but kudos to changing it. Imagine if the internet was around when the first TMNT movie came out in 1990. I'm sure some people would have hated Keaton's Batsuit in 1989 as well.

It's cool they made a Sonic film and he's still around, but due to Sega only publishing games, who is this movie aimed for? The time to do a Sonic film would've been 1994 or 1995 as another poster said, when Sega still had a system, and even though they were losing the 16-bit war, they could've counter punched to the Mario movie which while interesting was not good.

Also Carey is a fine choice but the original game Sonic and Robotnick had a friendship and there was an accident similar to Luther/Superman to why Robotnik hated Sonic and why he turned evil. and what makes him a strong villain storywise

I have no problem with Sumpter as the female lead but Marsden really doesn't have a good track record with movies as he was the weakest part of X-Men and stunk in Superman, and if this is a kid's film they should've went with someone younger who is relevant (the last Ninja Turtles movies was trash, but Megan Fox and Stephan Amell are at least known quantities).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Keaton’s batsuit and the original turtle costumes are bad examples. Both were really well designed, especially for the time. Some would have complained, but lost would be fine with it.

One of the best things Sonic always had going for him was that he was so well designed. It’s a design that just worked and worked really really well.

If you come out the gate screwing up the design of this character then you already lost.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
While I see the merits of the criticism that they seem intent on fixing, the design of the character of Sonic never put me off. However, if people hate it that much, then they had to do something because something like that can sink the whole thing and turn this into a bomb. That said, I don't think the trailer looked all that compelling. Jim Carrey as a goofy, Dr. Evil-like villain just doesn't seem like it's going to work. When they add in that it's the same producer from Fast and Furious, and then Gangsta's Paradise as the music - I don't know who they're trying to appeal to. It seems like this is going to be too close to kids cartoon movie and Sonic the Hedgehog is frankly too old of a character to identifies more to someone of my age or a little younger, as opposed to going straight for the kids hoping they get parents to take them. It should've been presented as more adult and a less comedy like X-Men and the Marvel movies are.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I don't think anyone is complaining because the movie is going to suck - Sonic's nostalgia/interest nowadays seem mostly centered on furries anyway.

But I think there's something beautiful about all of creation joining together and mocking what is a hideous and likely expensive movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad