(Son of) Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 1

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Sometimes raw numbers are greater than %

Lemieux 160
Lafontaine 148

At first glance it doesn’t look too bad. Meh a 12 point art ross win. But then when you realize Lemieux played 24 less games you can realize that in no point in the games history was a forward besides Gretzky that dominant. % needs context greatly so
And the context is health. Healthy Howe >> Injured / sick Lemieux.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I have Howe 1st, Gordie was a complete player and played at a relatively high level as a 51 year old in the NHL We all know about Mario's health and his incredible comeback from a disease that Myself & Mario both shared, so that places a soft spot in my heart for him. Saying all of that, he couldn't stay healthy, played incredibly soft for a player at his size, and more matter how incredible he was offensively, that can't overcome his other shortcomings in my view.
I have Howe third, but I actually like to see him get some first place votes. So much to admire from that guy. One of my favorite dvd's is the forgotten 1974 WHA vs Soviet Union series. Gotta give the outgunned WHAers a lot of credit. Two things you notice from watching that is that the best player in the tournament was a 34 year-old Bobby Hull. The second best Canadian was a 46 year-old Gordie Howe. To see him score on Tretiak on a break away was my highlight of the entire dvd series.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Doing a recount. #2 and #3 are razor thin. 31/32 voters participated in Vote #1.

Also, do you all want the table breakdown or just the points list. The former tends to lead to suspicion and distrust while also indicating which players are most polarizing.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... the actual interesting part will be the new nominees for Round 2.
I grew up a Habs fan first of all, for several years of elementary school and through organized hockey... and I have never, ever cheered a Pens win and probably never shall... yet...

I hope two Penguins join two Habs already on our list. And a goaltender.

If not, ... :) ... I may think it wrong but I won't lose any sleep over it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Doing a recount. #2 and #3 are razor thin. 31/32 voters participated in Vote #1.

Also, do you all want the table breakdown or just the points list. The former tends to lead to suspicion and distrust while also indicating which players are most polarizing.

I think we always went for Table Breakdowns. First, it's more informative. Second, it's more transparent (... well, to a certain extent).

It would certainly be wrong to never show the breakdown the votes. Whether it's done at the end of the project or at the end of every round is up do you. I favor the "every round" option myself, unless some of us are going ballistic or something.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I grew up a Habs fan first of all, for several years of elementary school and through organized hockey... and I have never, ever cheered a Pens win and probably never shall... yet...

I hope two Penguins join two Habs already on our list. And a goaltender.

If not, ... :) ... I may think it wrong but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Only four new players, according to the breakdown posted by QPQ in the last Preliminary Thread.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
As a sidenote : I'd estimate that 75% of the posts of this round were related, directly or indirectly, to Mario Lemieux. I think it was, to a certain extent, justified : 4 players are making it, and Lemieux was amongst these 4 players... presumptively 4th. I get that.
A certain amount of that was an economy-of-effort exercise. Gretzky is presumptive #1, and needed no advocacy from me. The Howe vs. Orr argument was not likely be be fruitful, as Howe would bring his drum of longevity-ammunition to the duel, and it would all bounce harmlessly off of the anti-career-value armor-plating of Orr advocates.

Lemieux-Orr was the lock I had the most hope of picking, as I thought that Lemieux's near-miss in his prime could be bridged by the fact that he played nearly half-a-dozen more significant seasons than Orr. That effort fell short, as well.

But for the next rounds, it would probably be more interesting if 75% of the posts wouldn't focus on a player that a signficant part of us witnessed.
Yeah- I agree... but it's entirely possible that the new quartet will consist exclusively of players seen by the preponderance of the participants.

It would be interesting if there was only one (or zero) Bohemians in the upcoming quartet. I think that, like "Mike Farkas," I'd have some schadenfreude over the collective freak-out!:whine: :laugh:

Reactions: Michael Farkas

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Do the full breakdown.

The credibility of this project depends on full disclosure. Why wouldn't we want it?

Why are we discussing procedural changes here? Shouldn't that have been done already?

(Thank you for doing the hard work, by the way).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Do the full breakdown.

The credibility of this project depends on full disclosure. Why wouldn't we want it?

Why are we discussing procedural changes here? Shouldn't that have been done already?
Good points.

Then open a new thread for next 10 discussions and let this thread be reserved for the first inductees yapping and voting chitchat.

Reactions: overg

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
As far as the identity and ranking of the top-4, it'll have all the suspense of a General Election for the Mayor of Chicago.
Wow. Did I speak too soon?! Did Mr. Hockey get to #2??

And there's quoi's Marketing Genius again. Gives us all a reason to stay tuned!

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
...you have nothing to worry about!
Yeah. Nothing to worry about. Until the next time some modern is criticized for not going ballzout in selected f***ing immaterial bullshit regular-season games. Then maybe someone can post a horse's asshole cherry-picked video-clip and try to frame the G_d-damned piece of shit as somehow emblematic of the way the player plays.

But until then- yeah, no worries.:)

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yeah. Nothing to worry about. Until the next time some modern is criticized for not going ballzout in selected ****ing immaterial bull**** regular-season games. Then maybe someone can post a horse's ******* cherry-picked video-clip and try to frame the G_d-damned piece of **** as somehow emblematic of the way the player plays.

But until then- yeah, no worries.:)
*Incoming controller disconnected gif*

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We're not doing much so...

I'm predicting the new comers next round will be two Pre-War stars, one active NHL'er and a Pivo-drinking guy. But not that one.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We're not doing much so...

I'm predicting the new comers next round will be two Pre-War stars, one active NHL'er and a Pivo-drinking guy. But not that one.

I'm thinking Crosby, Jagr & Hasek all make it.

For the 4th one i could see it going a few different ways. My guess will be Plante

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
For sure. I'm guessing the 4th will be Mikita. I know that my next highest player after Crosby/Jagr/Hasek will definitely not be the 4th.
I had Ovi and Crosby pretty close I think.

It's so weird. I think ten, fifteen years from now the debate between the two is going to seem a lot closer than it has been for say the last 5 years.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I'm predicting the new comers next round will be two Pre-War stars
One would be good, two might be better (in light of the potential alternatives).
one active NHL'er
Inevitable, I suppose.
and a Pivo-drinking guy. But not that one.
I'd be okay with a one-drink limit, as well.

Maybe another hyper-longevity guy comes onto the scene instead.

Edit- @ John Carlson- I'll prefer your listed 4th next, in the dark, over your prediction (as a player- not as a prognostication).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3