Something strange is happening over at Easton

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
First of all, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Not sure if this belongs here or in the Business of Hockey forum.

There appears to be something odd happening with Easton, and I was wondering if any of you know of anything. As you may or may not know, Easton was purchased by the group that owns Bauer earlier this year and since August/September there have been some strange things happening.

For one, their Facebook and Instagram accounts haven't been updated since August. Not sure about their other media outlets, but that in itself is a bit bizarre considering they used to update regularly (a few times a week).

We've seen equipment companies consolidated over and over again, and as of now it looks like there's really only Bauer, CCM and Warrior.

You'll also notice that long term Easton players such as Ryan Suter, Parise, Iginla and Cammalleri have all pretty much dumped their Easton gear in favour for other brands. In fact, I'm not sure if there are any players using exclusively Easton equipment at this point which is clearly a big indicator something drastic has happened.

Perhaps most bizarre though is when the players haven't changed equipment but covered the Easton logos. Case in point several players can be seen using un-marked Easton helmets and in Parise's case, he's been seen using unmarked/blacked out Easton gloves.

Any idea what's going on here? Is Easton's parent company dissolving the Easton brand?

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Companies have to pay licensing fees for their brand (name/logo) to be shown in the NHL, Bauer has decided to not renew Easton's license...

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
Companies have to pay licensing fees for their brand (name/logo) to be shown in the NHL, Bauer has decided to not renew Easton's license...

Really? Well that's pretty big news... I wonder why they've decided to do that. I don't suppose you've got a link to a story where you heard that from?

Company A takes over Company B, Company A eliminates company B. That's capitalism at perhaps not it's very finest.

So players using Easton now will slowly stop using it and Easton will no longer manufacture gear, even for use outside the NHL? As in if I go to a gear store, I won't be able to find a stick of theirs?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
seems like easton hockey is no more. very weird, considering they've been a big name in the business for so long. just recently bought a pair of easton gloves too

i read somewhere online that the easton mako sales were cutting into bauer's market share "significantly" which led to the acquisition. not too far from a monopoly in the hockey equipment industry these days. all you've got is bauer, ccm, and warrior dominating the market for the most part with smaller companies like sher-wood around too

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Really? Well that's pretty big news... I wonder why they've decided to do that. I don't suppose you've got a link to a story where you heard that from?

Company A takes over Company B, Company A eliminates company B. That's capitalism at perhaps not it's very finest.

So players using Easton now will slowly stop using it and Easton will no longer manufacture gear, even for use outside the NHL? As in if I go to a gear store, I won't be able to find a stick of theirs?

A lot of drama has unfolded since the announcement that Bauer's parent company (Performance Sports Group) would acquire Easton. There is still quite about going on behind the scenes, which makes Easton's future and the true answers to your questions unclear at the moment. There is an extremely detailed thread over at Mod Squad Hockey that covers just about everything you want to know on the topic: http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/in...e-sports-group-acquires-easton-hockey/&page=1.

As of January 2016, sticks, gloves, and protective were still going to be produced with the Easton name. For how long? That part has never been clear.

As far as a brand's presence in the NHL, that is only for marketing purposes. If Bauer/PSG does not have long-term plans for the Easton, it would make no sense for them to spend money on an NHL licensing deal.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
A lot of drama has unfolded since the announcement that Bauer's parent company (Performance Sports Group) would acquire Easton. There is still quite about going on behind the scenes, which makes Easton's future and the true answers to your questions unclear at the moment. There is an extremely detailed thread over at Mod Squad Hockey that covers just about everything you want to know on the topic: http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/in...e-sports-group-acquires-easton-hockey/&page=1.

As of January 2016, sticks, gloves, and protective were still going to be produced with the Easton name. For how long? That part has never been clear.

As far as a brand's presence in the NHL, that is only for marketing purposes. If Bauer/PSG does not have long-term plans for the Easton, it would make no sense for them to spend money on an NHL licensing deal.

interesting... thanks for sharing.

i loved easton stuff when i played but i noticed over the last few years, their presence was already diminishing in the nhl. this looks to be the end of the brand one way or another.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
seems like easton hockey is no more. very weird, considering they've been a big name in the business for so long. just recently bought a pair of easton gloves too

i read somewhere online that the easton mako sales were cutting into bauer's market share "significantly" which led to the acquisition. not too far from a monopoly in the hockey equipment industry these days. all you've got is bauer, ccm, and warrior dominating the market for the most part with smaller companies like sher-wood around too

Sher-wood is no longer in the NHL as well. However, at least their sticks/equipment are still available to consumers (for now).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what's odd is that i've seen pictures of players blacking out the easton logos from their gear this season yet ryan kesler was still wearing an easton helmet and gloves with the logos completely visible in tonight's game and the game before that one a couple nights ago

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Bauer is owned by Performance Sports Group (PSG), which is in some financial difficulty right now. Since PSG acquired Easton, this does not look good for Easton fans wanting new gear.

That's too bad because I have the E700 helmet and Mako skates, both were arguably among the best-of-the-best when they came out.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
what's odd is that i've seen pictures of players blacking out the easton logos from their gear this season yet ryan kesler was still wearing an easton helmet and gloves with the logos completely visible in tonight's game and the game before that one a couple nights ago

I've noticed this too. Same kind of thing happened when Reebok was phased out in favor of CCM; it took a year or more for Reebok to disappear completely. I'm thinking it's either just not something that is enforced very strictly or teams may have x amount of time to phase out the equipment before there are any consequences, but that is purely conjecture on my part.

Meanwhile you have players on the opposite end of the spectrum like Drew Doughty and James Neal that are still wearing Easton gloves but have switched out the Easton cuffs with Bauer cuffs.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford

Perry was still wearing Easton gloves at the start of the season as well (not sure if anything has changed, I don't follow the Ducks too closely).

I am guessing this has more to do with the Ducks equipment manager just getting on board than anything else.

I am guessing it will take awhile to phase out all the Easton logo's (and equipment in general). Much like it was mentioned in regards to Reebok and CCM.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Perry was still wearing Easton gloves at the start of the season as well (not sure if anything has changed, I don't follow the Ducks too closely).

I am guessing this has more to do with the Ducks equipment manager just getting on board than anything else.

I am guessing it will take awhile to phase out all the Easton logo's (and equipment in general). Much like it was mentioned in regards to Reebok and CCM.

Perry is with warrior now.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was bummed when I read about Easton on a goalie forum last week. Fond memories of my Easton aluminum as a kid, plus Z-Bubble shaft, and Stealth CNT. In a different 'show of your gear' thread, I mentioned my Stealth CNT stick. Then like five years later, random person PM'd me asking if I'd sell mine.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site

Interestingly enough I saw a Red Wings player (cant recall who) with Reebok gloves tonight.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I remember the Mike Green story, but didn't realize he was still using them as recently as 2015. I shoot lefty (and it was an intermediate stick), so probably wasn't Green. :D

rs.php

I stopped by HockeyMonkey this past weekend. Had to fight the urge to buy an Easton stick. Their new one piece felt mighty nice, but the $299 price tag was a bit much for my skill level.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I remember when Gretzky started rocking the Eastons, it was all anyone wanted and when I got my Easton Air gloves and silver aluminum stick I felt unstoppable. For about a year before Lindros became my idol and then I scrapped it all for Cooper gear.

Not sure how my parents just agreed to that thinking about it now.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I remember when Gretzky started rocking the Eastons, it was all anyone wanted and when I got my Easton Air gloves and silver aluminum stick I felt unstoppable. For about a year before Lindros became my idol and then I scrapped it all for Cooper gear.

Not sure how my parents just agreed to that thinking about it now.

55395d_lg.jpeg

I had a red Easton aluminum. Still mad that my parents threw it out when I left for college.

The hockey shop scene from the first Mighty Ducks movie prominently featured Easton as well. Definitely easy advertising towards a kid like me. I think the YouTube scene cuts out the part where Fulton pulls the Easton aluminum out of the display as if it was Excalibur.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
No doubt, I was at that age of Mighty Ducks too. Used to hate how I lived in such a dump town that would never take us for an all out brand new equipment shopping spree, thinking this must be how it's done in Minnesota.

Also had a red Easton aluminum, remember staring at it in the dark thinking it was amazing. Not so amazing on an outdoor rink as a simple stick check bent the damn thing in half, I almost cried and blamed the kid that I hit with it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They're dumping Easton gloves and helmets or covering the logo up, but plenty still use their Easton sticks. I don't use anything else Easton but my stick -- I love my Stealth CX. I'm hoping those aren't fazed out too, but they seem to be on clearance everywhere. But the new Synergy sticks came out several months ago, so I really don't know what will happen.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
So the hockey gear market in the next few years is basically just gonna be CCM and Warrior?

Plenty of up-and-coming brands in Hockey right now... A lot of pro's are even using gear.. Mitch Marner just signed on with "True Hockey", JT Miller, Vinny Trochek, Frans Nielsen and more have switched over to STX hockey... I'd also expect Sher-Wood and maybe even Tackla to make a push to broaden themselves too... It's just a changing of the guard I guess..

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Is the Bauer brand really going to disappear? Companies enter bankruptcy, restructure debt and continue on all the time. I mean Bauer just signed Auston Matthews to a big endorsement deal along with half the league's top talent they already supply with gear. Plus it seems like this would just hand CCM a virtual monopoly on the global hockey equipment market. Is the sport really so small that it can only support one major manufacturer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad