Speculation: Something happening between the Flames and Rangers?

Feb 24, 2017
“Something’s gonna happen, Alice!”

4C1BE0E2-30C9-4163-BE36-3A02689FD4F5.gif

Reactions: Kupo

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, there has definitely been some serious talks going on.

Some thoughts:

Calgary getting one guy from NYR

1. It can be Zuccarello straight to Calgary. Calgary would give up a little more than a 2nd or a little less than a 1st -- with the possibility that the recent upturn in interest for Zucc increase what Calgary have to give up a little.

2. It can be Kevin Hayes straight to Calgary. Calgary would give up a little more than a 1st.

3. It can be Chris Kreider straight to Calgary. Gorton is on record saying like that he will want a future 'foundation piece' coming back if Kreider is traded. What does that mean? Its also a remark that he might not have thought that much through when he made it.

I don't think it refers to someone that has potential to become a franchise guy or something like that. Gorton really liked both Brett Howden and Libor Hajak from Tampa. The NYR brass have a strong opinion on kids that must not always follow the mainstream's... (i) They don't touch kids that they don't like off-ice. (ii) They are realists, think the opposite of Peter Chiarelli, and they want advanced hockey players. NYR haven't had a homegrown top sniper in ages, but these guys don't draft Oliver Wahlstrom. Why? OW has some issues, mobility etc. (iii) It can be noted that NYR has moved away a bit from the CHL the last years. More US and Euro interest, just think those scouts have done better than the scouts north of the border, and hence gotten more trust.

So if its Kreider straight I would imagine that its a kid Gorts and co really like plus a 1st and like a 2nd.

It should also be noted that NYR surely is having a rough season next year, retaining on a contract like Kreider's with 1 year left, is probably something Gorton would consider.

Calgary getting more than one guy from NYR

4. Calgary might get two of the three above mentioned players. Of course Zucc+Hayes seems more likely than another combination. I think you just have to add up the returns what each two would cost to see what the return would be here. I think Gorton rather would get quality over quantity in return.

5. NYR are also looking to move Adam McQuaid. Either Calgary could want him isolated -- but he has been available forever and the commotion with the scouting etc seem a little overblown if its just a McQ trade -- or together with someone. Zucc+McQ? Hayes+McQ?

Gorts gave up a 4th and a 7th to get McQ. He would surely want at least a 3rd in return.

6. Elliot Friedman has reported that one GM called NYR a one-stop shop going into the deadline, they are willing to talk about everyone and has a player in each category (please be aware that I am going off memory when writing this post, when I do that I usually end up getting a detail wrong here and there, all of a sudden it wasn't Friedman that reported this but someone else, or the source wasn't a GM or whatever, but that is how I recall it in this and every other instance in this post, I am too much in a hurry to look things up).

Besides all 4 mentioned above, you want the perfect team player? Meet Jesper Fast. You want the (over-the-hill) top PPQB? Here is Kevin Shattenkirk. Namestnikov. Brandon Smith. How about a cost-controlled young RD? Neal Pionk. All the picks NYR have made the last years. I think Gorton is willing to listen to anything when building a future team. All that in pursuit of getting Quality over Quantity of course.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the deal ended up being a rental trade+a hockey trade, like McDonagh for futures + JT Miller for Namestnikov.

7. You don't want to tamper. But you can bet that Johnny and Hayes would talk contract (in the sense, could you imagine playing in Calgary?). If Johnny walks into Treveling's office saying that, look I know Haysie, he would be willing to resign here, its not tampering. But is there anyway that Calgary could fit Hayes under the Cap? I can't see it. And if getting Hayes is purely a rental move for Calgary, I think the price might be a little steep. Or I got the price tag on Hayes wrong. The later isn't a tremendously unlikely scenario, but...

Last edited:

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Are we giving up a roster player?? Idk who we could possibly trade on our roster beside frolik, and i rather keep him till the draft

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
If we give up a combination of one of our young Dman and a first, neither of these 3 guys are something that I would want back. (Politely not interested)

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I suspect, going into the playoffs, that Treliving will want to add another defenseman for depth purposes so I really doubt that he will trade one from the roster (I count Valimaki as on the roster) as that would defeat the purpose.
A long playoff run usually requires lots of d-men. Currently the Flames have:
Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson
Valimaki-Prout
????-Stone
I've listed the above in left side-right side combinations. As you can see the Flames have a depth hole on the left side.

I also think that Treliving wants to add a bit more RW scoring punch to the 2nd line of Tkachuk-Backlund-????

As for goaltending I don't think Treliving will make any changes. Mike Smith has been playing much better recently and seems to have overcome the issues that he had earlier in the season. I believe that Treliving is happy with the Rittich-Smith tandem.

As a final thought I would be shocked if Mark Stone becomes a Flame. As a rental the Sens want way too much and as a re-signed player I just don't see how the Flames can afford him and still keep the core of their team together. Remember, the Flames still have to re-sign Tkachuk and Rittich this off-season and either re-sign Smith or find a replacement.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Andersson ?

Andersson doesn’t go for a rental. I could see NYR asking for him as part of the package for Kreider but I think Treliving would decline that

Kreider doesn’t seem like a fit, NYR should only move him for an overpayment and Calgary shouldn’t overpay to add a player who plays the deepest position on our roster, LW (Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Bennett, Mangiapane)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If we give up a combination of one of our young Dman and a first, neither of these 3 guys are something that I would want back. (Politely not interested)

Kreider with another year on his contract is absolutely worth that value in my opinion. A top 6 with Tkachuk on one line and Kreider on the other would be an absolute nightmare for the other team and especially their goalies for 2/3 of the game one of those guys is on ice.... The rest of the west should be pretty worried if they pull that one off.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Kreider with another year on his contract is absolutely worth that value in my opinion. A top 6 with Tkachuk on one line and Kreider on the other would be an absolute nightmare for the other team and especially their goalies for 2/3 of the game one of those guys is on ice.... The rest of the west should be pretty worried if they pull that one off.

Both Andersson and Valimaki look like shoe ins to be top 4 D with a very good chance at being top pairing guys. They have lots of value and I can’t see them being traded. Kylington and a first I could see for Kreider. Not those two other guys though. That would be stupid by Treliving.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Andersson doesn’t go for a rental. I could see NYR asking for him as part of the package for Kreider but I think Treliving would decline that

Kreider doesn’t seem like a fit, NYR should only move him for an overpayment and Calgary shouldn’t overpay to add a player who plays the deepest position on our roster, LW (Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Bennett, Mangiapane)

Well no clue who they are watching then lol .... has to be a younger player

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Are the Flames still thinking they're shaky in net? If so, I wonder if a larger move is off the table. I'd imagine the Flames won't push hard unless they're feeling very good about their net situation.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Both Andersson and Valimaki look like shoe ins to be top 4 D with a very good chance at being top pairing guys. They have lots of value and I can’t see them being traded. Kylington and a first I could see for Kreider. Not those two other guys though. That would be stupid by Treliving.

You're not going to keep all of these D, what would be stupid is to lose a legitimate shot at a cup to protect all of the d-man.

I wouldn't move Andersson at all. I don't think he should be available. The Flames have the assets though to make a deal and still be fine on the back-end if that is what it takes in my opinion. That two of your likely divisional opponents have a goalie issue in terms of play this season or at least some historically rough playoff runs by MAF, getting another guy that makes life absolutely miserable on a goaltender is fascinating to me. They can do what they want, but I don't really agree with the Flames sitting on their hands, they have the assets to make a couple moves and consolidate themselves as the best team out west in my opinion. Time will tell, but I love the Kreider fit here and think that is who they should get aggressive on pursuing in this rumor.

I thought Kreider could play both sides, I want to say he plays right wing for Team USA a few times. I believe one of those was with Johhny hockey on his line.

I am curious if either San Jose or Calgary addresses the goalie, I think both should try.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Where would you play LW Kreider? Gaudreau plays LW on Calgary's top line and Tkachuk plays LW on the 2nd line.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yea hes a no go, played on the top pairing with gio today
"Today" as in the day the Rangers front office was in town/the day after Treveling was at MSG. Seems like there is some smoke.

Hate to be that guy, but the Rangers probably need a Righty like Andersson more than they need a Lefty at D, (not that they dont need LHD too, but if they are moving those kind of assets, they need to take care of the scarcer position in my opinion).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Where would you play LW Kreider? Gaudreau plays LW on Calgary's top line and Tkachuk plays LW on the 2nd line.

I would play him on the right wing, I am after his presence on the forecheck and ability to be disruptive in the slot. He is also a solid 200 foot player with a lot of jam. If they play San Jose that is going to be a very physical affair in my opinion. Having a guy like Kreider brings a lot of that to the table.

Also last Flames game I was watching Tkachuk was playing right wing on the top line so I am a little confused by how rigidly that is being looked at in this thread.

So putting Kreider with Backman-Lindholm would seem like a massive upgrade to me. Still I think Kreider can play the right, I have seen him deployed there with Team USA occasionally.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames won't deplete the defenseman roster going into the playoffs. If anything they'll add a depth d-man to it.
After the playoffs I can see it being a different story.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Are the Flames still thinking they're shaky in net? If so, I wonder if a larger move is off the table. I'd imagine the Flames won't push hard unless they're feeling very good about their net situation.
Obviously the coaches/management won't say otherwise, but both have said they like our goaltending and their struggles have been caused by the team play as a whole. Also, I know it's only a few games but Smith has been fantastic in our last 5 games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
"Today" as in the day the Rangers front office was in town/the day after Treveling was at MSG. Seems like there is some smoke.

Hate to be that guy, but the Rangers probably need a Righty like Andersson more than they need a Lefty at D, (not that they dont need LHD too, but if they are moving those kind of assets, they need to take care of the scarcer position in my opinion).
It was "today" because they wanted Brodie with Prout (rather than having a bottom pair of 2 RHD)) as Kylington was injured blocking a shot against the Islanders. It's about the 3rd or 4th time Andersson has been used on the top pairing this year, it started long before the smoke.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I would play him on the right wing, I am after his presence on the forecheck and ability to be disruptive in the slot. He is also a solid 200 foot player with a lot of jam. If they play San Jose that is going to be a very physical affair in my opinion. Having a guy like Kreider brings a lot of that to the table.

Also last Flames game I was watching Tkachuk was playing right wing on the top line so I am a little confused by how rigidly that is being looked at in this thread.

So putting Kreider with Backman-Lindholm would seem like a massive upgrade to me. Still I think Kreider can play the right, I have seen him deployed there with Team USA occasionally.
Has Kreider played much oñ the RW?
As for Tkachuk on the RW, Peters was just juggling his lines a bit in an effort to get Gaudreau, Monahan, and Tkachuk going again as all 3 are in a bit of a scoring slump. While with the Flames Tkachuk has probably played less than 30 minutes on the RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad