Some positive signs: DRW statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i think detredWINgs and joe89 mentioned that 5 on 5 is surprisingly good (despite sometimes looking bad and getting outshot).

DRW are currently 5th in 5 on 5 GF/GA ratio, at 1.42, after vancouver (2.00), anaheim (1.75), TBL (1.73) and ottawa (1.43).

near the bottom in PP and PK, though.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
i think detredWINgs and joe89 mentioned that 5 on 5 is surprisingly good (despite sometimes looking bad and getting outshot).

DRW are currently 5th in 5 on 5 GF/GA ratio, at 1.42, after vancouver (2.00), anaheim (1.75), TBL (1.73) and ottawa (1.43).

Although it is improving little by little. Scored a PPG yesterday (and not on a 5 on 3) and killed every penalty. I think limiting Quincey's IT definitely helps. Cleary and Kronwall need to work on their sloppy plays though. As Datsyuk says "you won't take penalties if you don't stop skating".

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Although it is improving little by little. Scored a PPG yesterday (and not on a 5 on 3) and killed every penalty. I think limiting Quincey's IT definitely helps. Cleary and Kronwall need to work on their sloppy plays though. As Datsyuk says "you won't take penalties if you don't stop skating".

Quincey played most on the PK of our defenceman, but his ES time was reduced. Maybe that reduced ES time for him is a key for a better PK.

PK Ice-Time yesterday
Quincey 3:12
Ericsson 2:33
Lashoff 2:21
Kronwall 1:51
Kindl 1:09
White 0:00

Like it has been said many times, our special teams are fine at home. But I really want to see an upgrade at road games. Like score on the PP, that we haven't done yet.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
About Howard. I really think he would perform better if his games were paced better, you know? We know he can do 65 games, but does he need to? Even so, if you take that route? Do you want to front load it like Babcock always does; Howard playing 99% of the first 3/4's of the season, then giving him little breaks here and there towards the end?

Now that he has a capable back up in Mrazek, and The Monster. Maybe every 3rd game he can get a break? Mental breathers are just as important as the physical portions.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I mentioned the importance of EVS ratio in the thread where someone opined on just how important the power play is in order to do well. Despite the fact we have one of the worst PP in the entire league we are currently sitting 2nd in the division, 5th in the conference, and in the top 10 overall in the total points. We are also on a 3 game winning streak where we've allowed an average of 1.33 GAA. Just goes to show how cosmetic power play is in terms of actual results.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
About Howard. I really think he would perform better if his games were paced better, you know? We know he can do 65 games, but does he need to? Even so, if you take that route? Do you want to front load it like Babcock always does; Howard playing 99% of the first 3/4's of the season, then giving him little breaks here and there towards the end?

Now that he has a capable back up in Mrazek, and The Monster. Maybe every 3rd game he can get a break? Mental breathers are just as important as the physical portions.

In a 82 game schedule I'd like him to play 55 games. Not more. Last season he "only" played 57 games but that was due to injuries, not rest. Obviously you need a legit backup for that, something the Wings have lacked before but seems to finally have.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
In the small victories category we can add the faceoff abilities of Emmerton and Andersson. Emmerton won 57% of his faceoffs last night while Andersson won 54%. On the season Emmerton is at 46% and Joakim is at 63%! :nod:

If this keeps up we are going to have to come up with a nickname for Andersson. My suggestion is Baby Gaustad.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think Joakim has been pretty impressive. At least he hasn't made any glaring errors and really hustles it up out there. Emmerton has also been working hard and thought his faceoffs were really good last night

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Jimmy Howard is currently tied for the 4th worst save percentage in the NHL. :shakehead

His SV% isn't great but he's not 4th last, he's ahead of 25 goalies.

Even among Starters only he's not THAT bad

Starting goalies with worse SV% than Howard

Nabokov - .897
Bobrovsky - .896
Quick - .891
Theodore - .890
Halak -.889 or Elliott - .849
Neuvirth - .889
Pavelec - .886
Kiprusoff - .870

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
In spite of Danny Cleary's perceived terrible play, he still has a positive relative Corsi (3rd highest on team amongst those who've played at least 13 games). In fact, his on Ice Corsi of everyone on the team who's played at least 13 games is 3rd behind Filppula and Datsyuk. So really, either he's being hidden pretty by his teammates, or he isn't as bad as we think.

Aug 6, 2012
In spite of Danny Cleary's perceived terrible play, he still has a positive relative Corsi (3rd highest on team amongst those who've played at least 13 games). In fact, his on Ice Corsi of everyone on the team who's played at least 13 games is 3rd behind Filppula and Datsyuk. So really, either he's being hidden pretty by his teammates, or he isn't as bad as we think.

Proves why you can't use advanced statistics in hockey.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
There's no doubt in my mind that clearly is one of the worst players in the nhl right now. The guy can't skate or stay on his feet. After watching last nights game I realized he doesn't even know how to dump the puck either.

It's so sad I wanted Homer to retire so bad and watching clearly I now understand and appreciate 96 even more

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah, he's benefiting from playing in the top 6 while adding no offense. He is mostly playing with Filppula and Datsyuk. He is still an OK defensive forward who PKs a fair amount. His shooting % is 3.4% which ranks 11th. That's pretty terrible when you consider the scoring opportunities he's receiving playing with one of the best set up men in the league. He's a plugger playing in the top 6 due to injury. I'd rather have Sheahan in that role to be honest.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
One positive is Tatar. It's really a shame that it took this long for him to get called up.

Another positive is, Sammy hasn't played since January 21st.

HTT3*

One positive is Tatar. It's really a shame that it took this long for him to get called up.

Another positive is, Sammy hasn't played since January 21st.

Wings PP play and scoring will greatly improve when he [Sammy] returns.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Advanced statistics won't tell you that he can no longer skate, struggles to remain upright, takes bad penalties, and fails to convert quality scoring chances. All you have to do is watch the Wings to know how bad he has been.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Advanced statistics won't tell you that he can no longer skate, struggles to remain upright, takes bad penalties, and fails to convert quality scoring chances. All you have to do is watch the Wings to know how bad he has been.

But it does say when Cleary is on the ice, the Wings control the puck more than their opponents. So while they aren't scoring much when he's on, we aren't getting scored on more often. So basically, it's all a wash. He's bad, but he isn't hurting the team, just looking bad.

Aug 6, 2012
But it does say when Cleary is on the ice, the Wings control the puck more than their opponents. So while they aren't scoring much when he's on, we aren't getting scored on more often. So basically, it's all a wash. He's bad, but he isn't hurting the team, just looking bad.

Maybe that has to do with playing with the best puck possession player in the NHL and Filppula who isn't too bad himself. All while in a puck possession system.

Yes he is hurting the team. He's not only playing extremely poorly but, at the same time, he's taking a spot in the lineup away from a much more capable player.

Advanced statistics are garbage for basically all sports. Statistics are there to give a relative feel to how well a player is performing (Goals, Batting Average, Rebounds, etc.). Since those relative stats aren't conclusive enough to show a players realistic performance, you have to actually watch them. Then you can form an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad