Some positive signs: DRW statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Taking a break from the kvetching, here are some positive trends with the hockey club.

1. Jimmy Howard: He's had a few rough outings but two of his last 4 games included a .926 and .962 SV%. Perhaps he's still not in game shape and that's part of the reason he wasn't at his best last night. He's given up the most goals in the NHL with 23 (over 8 games). He's second in TOI to Ilya Bryzgalov so he's obviously going to get a ton of playing time with the compressed schedule. We need more .920+ SV% games from him to win hockey games.

2. Kent Huskins: Huskins has been a great Drew Miller-esque acquisition. The Miller comparison works best on the PK where Huskins logs the third most IT behind Ericsson and Quincey and he hasn't been on the ice for a goal against while skating 4v5. He's typically not facing the best competition but he's a reliable PK'er.

3. Brian Lashoff: I was very interested in seeing how Lashoff would do in Detroit. He's done so well Mike Babcock sat him so we could get more data to show Jakub Kindl is nothing more than a 7th d-man. Lashoff, like Huskins, has been solid on the PK getting close to 3 mins per 60 mins of hockey. He's not as good as Huskins at keeping the puck out of the net but he's an undrafted free agent getting his first extended time playing in the NHL during what could end up being his rookie season. We know who Jakub Kindl is, I'd really like to get to know what Brian Lashoff is all about.

4. Jonathan Ericsson: I'm not going to go overboard on Ericsson. I'll just let the stats show he plays the most mins 4v5, and has the best corsi rating relative to the quality of competition he's facing. He also doesn't take penalties while short handed, something both Niklas Kronwall and Kyle Quincey do quite often. All in all he's just been a solid d-man who is quickly growing into the top pairing spot he'll play for the foreseeable future.

5. Damian Brunner: The Nose is second to Pavel Datsyuk in goals scored per 60 mins while skating 5v4. When skating at EVS he's fourth behind Bert, Val Filppula and Hank for goals scored per 60 mins. So he's doing pretty much what he was hired to do: score goals. There's reason to expect him to get even better as the season progresses. At EVS he also draws twice as many penalties as he takes. Babcock deserves a lot of credit for finding him and encouraging Ken Holland to sign him.

6. Todd Betuzzi: Bert's been surprisingly effective, logging the highest number goals per 60 mins at EVS. He's also been great about not taking stupid penalties and he's currently drawing more than he's taken. Unfortunately that resulted in him taking a stick precariously close to the eye socket. I do wonder how long it will last but for the time being let's enjoy Bert's production during the opening weeks of the season.

7. Valtteri Filppula: Fil is second to Bert in points per 60 mins while skating at EVS. Only Hank and Pavs get more EVS TOI than Val and he's not far behind either of them. The good news is he's finally getting decent ice time with the man advantage, the bad news is he's stuck with the saddest PP unit ever assembled so he's not generating much offense with the man advantage. The second PP unit is pretty much generating goose eggs across the board when skating 5v4. If only we had some young, skilled wingers in our minor leagues who could help to provide some offensive punch to our lineup. Oh well. Fil only gets about 1 min of 4v5 skating per 60 mins but an interesting thing I found is that 2/3 of his shifts end in our offensive zone. I haven't paid close attention to this stat but if it says what I think it does then Filppula is very good at ending shifts with the puck at the other end of the ice. This is interesting and might give us more data to indicate he's our next great forward to follow in the footsteps of Pavs and Z.

Anyone else you think has gotten off to a good start or is showing signs of rapid improvement?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Zetterberg seems to have taken the Captaincy extremely seriously and is having one of his best starts to a season in his career.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Zetterberg seems to have taken the Captaincy extremely seriously and is having one of his best starts to a season in his career.

Good call. I really do believe that splitting him and Datsyuk up was the key to getting the offense going. Datsyuk generates more points 5v4 while Hank generates more points 5v5. Bert has probably been the biggest beneficiary of playing on Pavel's line.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Datsyuk's at almost 63% on faceoffs this year :yo:

We're also #3 as a team this year for faceoff percentage.

we like our team*

outside of one game bert hasn't been very effective imo

franzen seems to be playing better this year

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Finally a thread discussing something positive about the Wings.

The top 6 seem to have built some kind of chemistry out there. It helps that Brunner and Z played together for a few months and it definitely shows. I'm really please with Brunner's start. I was never expecting any elite qualities or performances from him, but seems to be the perfect Hudler replacement. Not at all physical, but definitely has top 6 skill and on top of that he shoots the puck. Hudler wouldn't shoot if his life depended on it.

Zetterberg is showing he is worthy of his captaincy. Best Red Wing this season. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Datsyuk had a good start, he's been a little quiet lately, but he hasn't seemed to have lost a step.

Franzen is doing his job I guess. I'd like him to shoot more, but he's adapting well to his net-front job.

Filppula has supported his linemates well. Again shoot more and use his speed to attack the net. He looks to skate along the boards too often where he'll lose out in physical battles.

Bertuzzi. Typical Bertuzzi season. A dominant game and then quiet for a stretch.

The bottom 6. They need to show up. You need depth scoring if you want to be successful. Best bottom 6 forward so far: Tootoo. Very good signing by Holland. Provides energy, grit and finally someone who doesn't get humiliated in fights! Maybe give him a few shifts in the top 6 from time to time? I'd like to see him play with Helm actually.

Defense. It was absolutely abysmal at the start of the season. Now it's below average. The point is, it's improving. Injuries haven't helped, but the silver lining (love that term) is we got Huskins who has been very good in his role. Lashoff has also impressed. I never thought he'd actually make it in the NHL on a full time basis, because of our current roster and prospects. But he's taken his chance and ran with it. Good for him.

Smith had an iffy start to the season, but with the defensive corps, he's improved. He needs to be paired with a pure defensive defenseman who can cover for him. But he isn't horrible in his own end. Obviously still learning.

Howard has either been great or below average. Nothing spectacular. Hopefully he regains the form that actually put him in the Vezina conversation last year. It wasn't a fluke.

Guys like Kronwall, Quincey, Abdelkader, Cleary, etc. need to improve. A lot. Kronwall is supposed to be our number 1 defenseman. He hasn't shown that before. He can't hide behind Lidstrom anymore. He has to lead. Quincey was brought in to replace Stuart. He's had plenty of opportunities to do that. Abdelkader and Cleary can't be fringe players. Especially with Helm out. They have been really poor so far and especially Abby, he has to do more.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Guys like Kronwall, Quincey, Abdelkader, Cleary, etc. need to improve.

Abby isn't producing, but he's not playing badly. Kronwall needs to get better.

Q and Cleary just need to leave. Now. I'm more than happy with Kindl/Lashoff/White taking Q's spot. Anyone can take Cleary's, whether Sammy, or Nyquist/Tatar. Really don't care at this point.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I think the best replacement we can have for Cleary right now is Sheahan. Can play both the PP and PK. He's the hardworking, bottom 6 forward we need who could provide scoring. Nyquist and Tatar can take Cleary's spot but not his role. They don't PK and their game doesn't match Cleary's. Sheahan can PK, be a net-front presence on the PP and provide goals. If you just want a bottom 6 PK'er, try Andersson maybe. Tatar and Nyquist should replace Bertuzzi and Samulesson.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I think the best replacement we can have for Cleary right now is Sheahan. Can play both the PP and PK. He's the hardworking, bottom 6 forward we need who could provide scoring. Nyquist and Tatar can take Cleary's spot but not his role. They don't PK and their game doesn't match Cleary's. Sheahan can PK, be a net-front presence on the PP and provide goals. If you just want a bottom 6 PK'er, try Andersson maybe. Tatar and Nyquist should replace Bertuzzi and Samulesson.

I'd like to see them try this, even for just a game or 2.
Could move Abby to the Wing as well and let Sheahan play center.

HTT3*

I think Cleary is going to find his groove and become a BEAST just before the playoffs and be one of the best players in the POs for us. He will get it together.... no doubt in my mind.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think Cleary is going to find his groove and become a BEAST just before the playoffs and be one of the best players on the POs for us. He will get it together.... no doubt in my mind.

Well, maybe he is just playing possum and having an absolutely terrible start to the season on the heels of a very poor 11-12 season to lull the other teams into taking him lightly and then BAM- he goes into BEAST mode in the playoffs.

Seems plausible. He just needs to let Babcock in on his master plan so Babs will give him 4th line mins and even scratch him a few times, just to further sell the illusion. That, and he's a complete drain on the team now, so they'd have a better shot of making the playoffs if he's playing less/not at all.

I like where your head's at on this one! :thumbu:

HTT3*

Well, maybe he is just playing possum and having an absolutely terrible start to the season on the heels of a very poor 11-12 season to lull the other teams into taking him lightly and then BAM- he goes into BEAST mode in the playoffs.

Seems plausible. He just needs to let Babcock in on his master plan so Babs will give him 4th line mins and even scratch him a few times, just to further sell the illusion. That, and he's a complete drain on the team now, so they'd have a better shot of making the playoffs if he's playing less/not at all.

I like where your head's at on this one! :thumbu:

Ummm.... okay? :help:

HTT3*

Sorry, was just brainstorming ideas on how anyone could think Cleary could pull that off. That's all I came up with, though.

Oh I forgot anything positive doesn't bold over too well over here. We're all suppose to be debbie downers and chicken littles.

My bad.

lilja4mvp*

I think Cleary is going to find his groove and become a BEAST just before the playoffs and be one of the best players in the POs for us. He will get it together.... no doubt in my mind.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Right...

CloneHakanPlease*

Positives: Our new additions Brunner, Tootoo, and Huskins all look solid relative to their cap hit.

Some may disagree, but I think Howard has looked good in all the games we had a chance of winning anyways. I dont mind him playing bad when our offense is anemic, lowers his contract demand :)

Our top guns have all been surprisingly lively.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Just... the level of...

reality denial, magical thinking, completely unsupportable optimism in your post.

It's really astounding. You must be a perpetually happy person to be so upbeat by one of the worst players on the team for a couple years now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

So let me get this straight the two guys you defend on this team are Quincey and Cleary... :huh:

I hope Cleary can pick it up, remember all of the Wings saying he looked much better all summer in workouts, but something just looks very off. This is the worst I have seen him handle the puck, it was never great really, but very frustrating to watch.

On the positives the big guns have come to play, I have liked that the backend is playing a little more physical on the boards this year.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Just... the level of...

reality denial, magical thinking, completely unsupportable optimism in your post.

It's really astounding. You must be a perpetually happy person to be so upbeat by one of the worst players on the team for a couple years now.

Well, it's also a contract year. Big playoff run = big money? Maybe.Just hopefully not with us.

HTT3*

I remember last year the general poster on here wanted to trade Zetterberg because he started slow.. so therefore he was DONE, OLD, and WASHED UP! Didn't look DONE, OLD, and WASHED UP against the Blues the other night.

The typical "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Cleary is heart and sould... so I'm confident he will get it together. I was right about Zetterberg last year, I was right about the team "needing to gel", and if I'm right about this then BONUS for the team.

I'm 2 for 2 so far. So we'll see!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I remember last year the general poster on here wanted to trade Zetterberg because he started slow.. so therefore he was DONE, OLD, and WASHED UP! Didn't look DONE, OLD, and WASHED UP against the Blues the other night.

The typical "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Cleary is heart and sould... so I'm confident he will get it together. I was right about Zetterberg last year, I was right about the team "needing to gel", and if I'm right about this then BONUS for the team.

Who was calling for a trade? I was one of many calling him slower and less effective. The word trade never even crossed my mind. You have some sort of projected victim mentality going on where you think even the slightest criticism of someone's game means we want to blow the entire team up and trade everyone.

We're just calling out people that aren't playing up to the **millions of freaking dollars a year** they are paid to perform. And when a player can't put it together for 2+ years, then we're going to be skeptical.

Well, it's also a contract year. Big playoff run = big money? Maybe.Just hopefully not with us.
Well, he hasn't been showing us anything this year so far. I just don't think he's capable anymore, for health reasons or whatever. But I think it's pretty clear that he's a hard worker. He just can't play anymore.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010

Yeah, Zetterberg and Cleary are totally comparable as players.

Unreal.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't think HTT3 watches games sober :laugh: Listen, I'm glad Zetterberg has been better since his slow start last year, but besides the odd game here and there, there is no question he has slowed down a bit. He still has all the skill in the world and has a good commitment to playing tough defensively, but he isn't the same he was even ~4 years ago. I wouldn't pick anyone else to be the captain over him, he is still a 1st liner calibre guy with everything he brings, but he isn't one of the best players in the entire league. His production has slowed down quite a bit and he isn't as explosive as he used to be. Again, really glad about him being captain and his good start this year (really, I've been totally impressed by his efforts), but being all "I'm 2 for 2 lol idiots, I knew it! Frigging told you so! and Quincey is the bomb! Kronwall and Smith are busts and slobs!"

Please, spare us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad