News Article: Some Kadri update.Franson blurb to.Battle of Ontario noise.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The "hopefully we're willing" part kinda annoys me, but I know it's the business of hockey...

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Really hopeful that both Kadri and Franson are signed IN TORONTO before the season starts.

Why in the world did we pay RFA Fraser ("dime-a-dozen") before we paid RFA Franson???
Bonehead move by Nonis.
The Leafs gave both guys qualifying offers. Mark Fraser opted to file for arbitration. Cody Franson did not. So the Leafs had no choice with Fraser. Either don't give him a qualifying offer and allow him to turn into a UFA and negotiate with other teams freely. Or give him a qualifying offer and risk the possibility that he would take the team to arbitration (which he ended up doing). Whatever the arbitrator decides to grant the player, the Leafs have no choice but to deal with it (except *maybe* trade him. But I'm not sure if you're allowed to trade a player for the rest of the year after going through arbitration though. If a player is granted more than $3.5m/yr by an arbitration, a team is allowed to "let him walk" (allow the player to become a UFA and negotiate with other teams).

Passing on the qualifying offer and allowing Mark Fraser to walk as a UFA would have almost certainly lead to Mark Fraser signing with another NHL team for more money. I'm pretty sure there are GMs out there who will look at his +18 or whatever rating he had, his hits and his blocked shots and assume that he is a badass player. Even if those stats are not representative of his individual talent. Plus/minus is not a reliable statistic. Compare Adam McQuaid's +16 in 2011-12 to his Evens in 2012-13. Corsi Against rates relative to team mates and opposition are much more reliable for determining a defenseman's defensive abilities. And you need to look at Corsi For and IGP/IAP/IPP (Individual Goal/Assist/Point Production) rates for puck-carrying D-Men like Cody Franson, Dion Phaneuf and Jake Gardiner.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Nonis is using the CBA as intended to hold salaries down on a player's 2nd deal (bridge contract) until the player establish himself. Montreal GM's was a genius getting PK Subban on a bridge deal and getting a Norris performance at @$2.85 mil.

Hopefully Nonis can hold firm to hold Franson contract in check.
Think so? It's a fantastic contract for what Subban brings right now, but I have to wonder if the bridge contract will end up costing them in the end. He was reportedly looking for a long-term deal last summer and his price has definitely gone up with his performance this year.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
if kadri and franson don't sign what the leafs are offering, they can both sit for the year. the leafs will move on and still be competitive . remember subban, he caved in.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Think so? It's a fantastic contract for what Subban brings right now, but I have to wonder if the bridge contract will end up costing them in the end. He was reportedly looking for a long-term deal last summer and his price has definitely gone up with his performance this year.

Exactly. Montreal probably could have signed him to a long term deal at around 4.5-5.5 million instead of signing to a bridge contract. With the season he had , expect Subban to be looking for a Letang deal. I think it'll end up costing MTL quite a bit more ... Bergevin rolled the dice and I think it backfired.

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
Kadri signed should be our top priority, and preferably a 2-year bridge like Subban, too many high profile players to re-sign this year. Next should be Franson, and we need him back just as much.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Its abit unfair to say that Burke didn't have any Ontario Born players. Kadri was going to be called up,he also signed McClement who overhauled our PK. But yes Nonis is adding a lot more Ontario born players but imo it shouldn't matter. Results are what truly counts

Yeah - that bit was a bit of a low blow.

People conveniently forget that it was Burke who drafted Kadri, and Ron Wilson who couldn't find a suitable spot for him in the lineup.

It's not like Burke buried him in the minors and refused to call him up

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I would personally think it unlikely that Bob McKenzie would bother posting a one word tweet in hopes that a few random people put together he's talking about a leafs message board.

Odds are it's not what people think and only he and couple friends have any idea what that tweet was about. just my opinion.

That all said, I'm touched that even in your exodus you cannot help but talk about us. <3 lol

I also think that is totally unlikely that MacKenzie tweeted about your board, but some of your members seemed to believe he did. He was btw referring to Ward and Ferraro

I'm touched by the fact that you feel a need to address this......:sarcasm:

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Why do we have fans who ask stupid questions when they have no clue about the business of hockey?

Actually, the average fan has no clue about these types of things. Also, "stupid" isn't the right word, as intelligence level has little to do with being aware of rules of a CBA in hockey. Such accusations could only mean that you yourself are quite, quite Stupid.

mrheat*

then have 4.5mil
they cant sign both.

was even said this morning on TSN radio, wont happen. One will go. prob franson.

leafspring*

then have 4.5mil
they cant sign both.

was even said this morning on TSN radio, wont happen. One will go. prob franson.

Well they have $4,895,833 and a demotable player on defense recieving $787,500 and a demotable forward making $550,000.

$4,895,833
--------------
$6.233,333

Thats close to what we need to sign them both?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
New aggrement new rules. Not the case any longer.

I thought the new rules was that you send down a player over ~1mil salary cap, then you have to retain 925K of it. So liles sent down would be be sending down 3.875 mil - minus 0.925 mil = 2.95 in savings...

Or was this the old rules?

leafspring*

I thought the new rules was that you send down a player over ~1mil salary cap, then you have to retain 925K of it. So liles sent down would be be sending down 3.875 mil - minus 0.925 mil = 2.95 in savings...

Or was this the old rules?

The cap reduction is the 925 and you take the hit for the rest.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Well they have $4,895,833 and a demotable player on defense recieving $787,500 and a demotable forward making $550,000.

$4,895,833
--------------
$6.233,333

Thats close to what we need to sign them both?

The cap reduction is the 925 and you take the hit for the rest.

That still gives us over 7 million which should certainly be enough for 2 bridge contracts. I would definitely prefer Naz on a contract like JVR's though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad