News Article: Some Kadri update.Franson blurb to.Battle of Ontario noise.

leafspring*

Working on his skating seems to be going well.Working on the face-offs also. Derek King and Gord Dineen will be back with the Marlies as assistant coaches also.
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/12/leafs-kadri-doing-extra-work-on-skating

Here is some battle of Ontario info for ya too. Interestingly this article insists the Sens were very interested in signing Clarkson also!

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/12/battle-of-ontario-will-have-brand-new-look-in-2013-14

This toronto star article explains the teams changes toward having some Ontario borns from the Burke era of ZERO,when Kadri was sent down. There is a nice photo and small bio in this link for the players on their picture. The funny thing is when you touch on Berniers Photo lol.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...e_roster_again_after_a_period_of_absence.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Really hopeful that both Kadri and Franson are signed IN TORONTO before the season starts.

Why in the world did we pay RFA Fraser ("dime-a-dozen") before we paid RFA Franson???
Bonehead move by Nonis.

leafspring*

Its looking like Naz will be signing a bridge 1 year contract by the tone in the article. I personally think he should be signed for 3 years at least,but things just don't look like that is going to be possible.

The Star article has Bernier listed at 6' 10" tall lol. He sure grew over the summer.;)

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Really hopeful that both Kadri and Franson are signed IN TORONTO before the season starts.

Why in the world did we pay RFA Fraser ("dime-a-dozen") before we paid RFA Franson???
Bonehead move by Nonis.

Because Fraser filed for arbitration.

leafspring*

Bonehead move by Nonis.

I know it is not mentioned much but,there has always been interest around the league in Gunnarson. He has no clauses in the new deal that would hinder Nonis in moving him. He's a $3,150,000 cap hit but a absolutely steady influence we wouldn't really like to move for cap space. Entirely possible though none the less.

Franson wants to stay here it is told in the article,so hopefully it gets done.

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010

Why do we have fans who ask stupid questions when they have no clue about the business of hockey?

leafspring*

Bonehead move by Nonis.

I think they really liked what he gave them in many aspects of the game and believe it is something he can continue to provide.If they are right and he continues providing the same play this year he is a good value as a player and cap hit. He is a quality person also.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
The battle of Ontario article is full of errors.

Ryan has had 4 30+ goal seasons.

The Sens were not swept by Pittsburg.

Then he says Neil's a heavyweight, and Fraser and McLaren are not??

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I think getting Kadri signed should be higher priority, Franson can hold out if he likes.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I think getting Kadri signed should be higher priority, Franson can hold out if he likes.

I agree that we can afford to let Franson sit out longer, but our D will be worse for wear overall if we cannot get him into the lineup.

I would not expect a combo of Blacker/Granberg/Holzer/Brennan to hold that spot for long, or even if we let Rielly run with it, at the 9 game mark that puts us in a precarious position.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
“Franny and I believe we can be pretty big pieces. We both want to be here for the long run. How ever way we can make it work, hopefully we’re willing to. But it’s really none of our business as players. You go out there, perform and put yourself in the best spot possible for when these (contract) situations come up"

“The closer and closer camp comes, the more of a distraction it is to me,†Kadri admitted. “But I’m confident we’ll come up with something. I know both parties want to get something done, it’s just a matter of them getting some things together and putting the team back where it was. We have a solid foundation, a great group of guys and no one wants to leave.â€

Agents and team are obviously playing hardball until the last minute. Kadri is a pretty open person and he obviously wants it done. If there was a problem he would just issue the old " no comment" also Franson has been seen in BC doing community work etc, in a Leaf jersey. If he wanted to send a message he could just don the NHLPA jersey instead.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Its abit unfair to say that Burke didn't have any Ontario Born players. Kadri was going to be called up,he also signed McClement who overhauled our PK. But yes Nonis is adding a lot more Ontario born players but imo it shouldn't matter. Results are what truly counts

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
Just a reminder that we were carried in the playoffs by three Americans, two Albertans, and a Manitoban.

GOODOLONTARIABOYZZZZ

Last edited:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Just a reminder that we were carried into the playoffs by three Americans, two Albertans, and a Manitoban.

GOODOLONTARIABOYZZZZ
Without McClement we may not have made the playoffs though, you can argue that.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Its looking like Naz will be signing a bridge 1 year contract by the tone in the article. I personally think he should be signed for 3 years at least,but things just don't look like that is going to be possible.

The Star article has Bernier listed at 6' 10" tall lol. He sure grew over the summer.;)

perhaps the copy editor has been reading all the nonsense snittery in the Bernier thread about his actual height and decided to have a little ha-ha

Bob MacKenzie recently used a one word tweet that got another Leafs web site all a twitter and gave some what was perceived as validation, to their all for one posting philosophy.........Bob must've had a good laugh over that

The media does follow most of these boards more closely then you'd think and derives story and opinion lines from some of the things(good and bad) thrown around by some posters

leafspring*

Its abit unfair to say that Burke didn't have any Ontario Born players. Kadri was going to be called up,he also signed McClement who overhauled our PK. But yes Nonis is adding a lot more Ontario born players but imo it shouldn't matter. Results are what truly counts

It surprised me that the average Ontario born players per team averages 4-6. I didn't check but that seems high. Burke buckled after Cherry called him out and added a couple players from the province. Whatever though is right as long as we win.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It surprised me that the average Ontario born players per team averages 4-6. I didn't check but that seems high. Burke buckled after Cherry called him out and added a couple players from the province. Whatever though is right as long as we win.

Buckled? I'm pretty sure he wasn't intentionally avoiding Ontario players in the first place.

McClement was signed because he would and did help our PK, not because he's from Ontario.

leafspring*

perhaps the copy editor has been reading all the nonsense snittery in the Bernier thread about his actual height and decided to have a little ha-ha

Bob MacKenzie recently used a one word tweet that got another Leafs web site all a twitter and gave some what was perceived as validation, to their all for one posting philosophy.........Bob must've had a good laugh over that

The media does follow most of these boards more closely then you'd think and derives story and opinion lines from some of the things(good and bad) thrown around by some posters

What did Mac tweet that got stuff goin?

leafspring*

Last year i thought Kadri was skating better than he ever did and was a royal pain off the rush. If he has improved his skating again i think thats a rather large factor in his becoming fully developed as a prospect.

The strength and face-offs come as a result of time,but he was pretty darn quick last season.

leafspring*

Buckled? I'm pretty sure he wasn't intentionally avoiding Ontario players in the first place.

McClement was signed because he would and did help our PK, not because he's from Ontario.

I think it was something in the back of his mind.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
So...Bernier is the biggest acquisition, not Clarkson, and Neil is a heavyweight but Maclaren and Fraser arent. Okay then...

On the fighter thing, Orr, Kassian and MacLaren are the "super heavyweights" if you will, along with the likes of Parros. Neil and Fraser are a cut below, mostly due to size.

stish

Slightly O/T but The Star is now going to be paid subscription online, with 10 free stories a month. I hope it is like The Sun where if your cookies are cleared you can see as many as you want. Anyone know the rules here about posting the text of the articles?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad