News Article: Some Kadri update.Franson blurb to.Battle of Ontario noise.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought the new rules was that you send down a player over ~1mil salary cap, then you have to retain 925K of it. So liles sent down would be be sending down 3.875 mil - minus 0.925 mil = 2.95 in savings...

Or was this the old rules?

Its the other way around where the savings is the $925k and the actual cap hit $2.95 mil thereafter.

$3.875 mil - minus 0.925 mil savings = $2.95 in cap hit remaining...

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
That still gives us over 7 million which should certainly be enough for 2 bridge contracts. I would definitely prefer Naz on a contract like JVR's though.

That's certainly enough for Kadri. If Franson insists on shooting for the moon then he can sit out the season and see what he gets after taking a year off. Not sure why the guy thinks he is so amazing and irreplaceable.
If I'm Nonis, I stick to my guns with him. Give him a multi year deal with a lower amount AAV or a one year with that same AAV or he can watch the year.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Fair contracts:

Kadri - 5m over 2 (2.5m aav)
Franson - 6m over 2 (3m aav)

leafspring*

That still gives us over 7 million which should certainly be enough for 2 bridge contracts. I would definitely prefer Naz on a contract like JVR's though.

Yeah bro, there is options and they can certainly play with a 21 man roster if they want to.

leafspring*

That's certainly enough for Kadri. If Franson insists on shooting for the moon then he can sit out the season and see what he gets after taking a year off. Not sure why the guy thinks he is so amazing and irreplaceable.
If I'm Nonis, I stick to my guns with him. Give him a multi year deal with a lower amount AAV or a one year with that same AAV or he can watch the year.

Franson's expectations in fairness have never been anything other than rumour/speculation. Nonis would shoot from the hip on what he wants to pay but,there seems to be no dissention from either party.

There is other fish to fry before terms can be agreed on i suppose.

Franson sitting is not a option that is fair to anyone or the process though.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Fair contracts:

Kadri - 5m over 2 (2.5m aav)
Franson - 6m over 2 (3m aav)

i agree but the problem is that franson would be a ufa after his bridge contract and would have a lot of leverage with the threat that he might test free agency. i feel like with franson if he gets signed it is either a 1 year deal or a 4/5 year deal. with a 1 year deal they get a year to see if last year wasnt a fluke and he is still a rfa after. with a 4/5 year deal the leafs could probably get a decent cap hit in exchange for the term. i think dreger said he is looking for $4 million or so, maybe the leafs could get him down to $3.5ish on a 4 year deal. he would only be 30 when it ended so he would still be able to get a nice contract at the end of the deal.

CameronNeely08

Seabass
Mar 25, 2008
I also think that is totally unlikely that MacKenzie tweeted about your board, but some of your members seemed to believe he did. He was btw referring to Ward and Ferraro

I'm touched by the fact that you feel a need to address this......:sarcasm:

I think someone was just missing the joke over at the place that shall remain nameless.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Because Cody Franson is a .6pt/game NHL defenseman. Puck-carrying D-Men get all the glory and money. Especially if they can score goals (Franson has only been able to show that in the playoff series vs Boston but people have short-term memories).

A bottom-pairing defenseman with PP-1 duty absolutely does not deserve the kind of money he is asking for. He got those .6 pts/game... playing sheltered minutes on a bottom-pairing and racking up points on the powerplay. He played more minutes in the playoffs. But that is a small sample size.

You absolutely have to pay attention to the role that the player plays and not just look at their traditional stats. Benoit Pouliot averages 2.13 pts/60 mins on the 5v5 (that is high for a strictly 5v5 rate). But he only makes $1.3m/yr. Why is that? Because he's a third-liner playing against lower level competition.

Also Cody Franson is a handsome guy. And good looking athletes are more likely to be liked. Read Moneyball. A lot of scouts, managers, GMs and fans have historically had a bias favouring handsome ball players. And had a bias against players who didn't have the right face or the right body.

P.K Subban gets all sorts of glory, including a Norris Trophy. But I noticed that P.K only played 17:05/g even-strength (second-pairing defenseman) and gets regular PP-1 duty (4:42/g) and the occasional PK-2 duty (1:27/g). That kid is overrated as hell. How do you give a Norris trophy to a guy who plays sheltered minutes on a second pairing, pads his point totals with powerplay duty and isn't even good enough to crack a regular spot on Montreal's PK unit? Puck-carrying defenseman who can score goals get all the glory. It's BS. Luckily Montreal were smart enough to give him a bridge contract and aren't paying him the big bucks yet. If the coach doesn't have the confidence to play you on the Top 2 on the regular, you don't deserve a Norris Trophy.

Last edited:

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
well Nonis sure screwed over his prized players

great year Kadri, now settle for a **** 2.5 million
the plus side it gives him less pressure to perform
which is what we want right, a 2.5m performing player...

franson! great defencemen
settle for **** too

Kyle Doobas*

well Nonis sure screwed over his prized players

great year Kadri, now settle for a **** 2.5 million
the plus side it gives him less pressure to perform
which is what we want right, a 2.5m performing player...

franson! great defencemen
settle for **** too
They're RFAs, have no leverage, and played well for half a season. You don't get $4M+ for that, even if we had all the cap space in the world.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Kadri couldnt be much further away from deserving a big contract. He played a solid what ? 30 games, then tailed off. Which in a full season would of seen his point total look potentially terrible.

One year contract for low money to prove himself consistent, then he will get his pay day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad