Some Draft info for Pens fans about Dubas

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey guys, Leafs fans here, You guys might be interested in knowing about Dubas's drafts and how they are looking. I compared Lou/Hunter's drafts with Dubas's to compare them.
Drafting might be Dubas's biggest strength
Here is the link

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Kind of useless without taking into account where the players are picked.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Why are people getting upset? I thought you guys might like some info on his drafts and his success level. There is no inner agenda here. I'm actually a Dubas fan.

To be fair, this board (HFPens) was inundated with insufferable Leafs fans after the Dubas hiring. And I'm sure the main board isn't a treat either -- but I don't go there.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Why are people getting upset? I thought you guys might like some info on his drafts and his success level. There is no inner agenda here. I'm actually a Dubas fan.
Dont take offense, thanks for sharing

People on this side of town beat their wives, kick dogs and post the same idea presented 1000 different ways to increase their street cred.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’m not upset, I just don’t care about anything coming out of Toronto since the Constantines called it a day. And they were from Guelph! :laugh:

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I’m not sure what the original poster is trying to say. His record doesn’t look any better or worse than any other teams. Especially since some of them are still developing.

With the exception of stuff like the 2017 Dallas draft you’re lucky to get 2 NHL players from a draft. Especially if you only have so many top 30-60 picks.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Thanks. So he likes to get draft picks and not many of them bust but he barely drafts NHL players.
I would say that it is a bit ambiguous as to whether or not it's a factor of his drafting, or a measure of Toronto's ability to develop players.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would say that it is a bit ambiguous as to whether or not it's a factor of his drafting, or a measure of Toronto's ability to develop players.

A good point, but given Dubas' role in hiring the staff that did the developing, that probably works out either way for us.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
A good point, but given Dubas' role in hiring the staff that did the developing, that probably works out either way for us.
Seeing as both the Pens and the Leafs system failed to properly develop Kappanen, probably doesn't make much difference.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Seeing as both the Pens and the Leafs system failed to properly develop Kappanen, probably doesn't make much difference.

Leafs turning Kapanen into a borderline top 6 player seems a fair outcome considering the prospect he was. Not a huge hit, but good enough, and they got more than his draft position in trade for him once done. I'll take that every day.

Reactions: steelcityassault

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Leafs turning Kapanen into a borderline top 6 player seems a fair outcome considering the prospect he was. Not a huge hit, but good enough, and they got more than his draft position in trade for him once done. I'll take that every day.
I suppose that is true, but was Kapanen what he was in Toronto because of the coach, the players or something else? If he was developed into being a top 6 player in Toronto, what caused him to drop off coming to Pitt? If he was developed properly there wouldn't have been such a massive drop-off. I agree that Toronto got great value out of him.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I suppose that is true, but was Kapanen what he was in Toronto because of the coach, the players or something else? If he was developed into being a top 6 player in Toronto, what caused him to drop off coming to Pitt? If he was developed properly there wouldn't have been such a massive drop-off. I agree that Toronto got great value out of him.

Mix of player/coach personality clash and player/system misfit. Something about how Sully handled Kapanen made him very short of confidence, and Kapanen seemed to struggle with the structure and battle Sully wanted. I'd suggest the fact he bounced back quickly in St Louis shows it was the situation rather than the player. Which isn't to suggest Kapanen is perfect or anything, far from it, but I think he's been developed well for what he is.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The draft seems like just the place to employee analytics to uncover hidden gems.

Thanks for the sharing. Hopefully Dubas lives up to what we hope him to be.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Our fans haven’t been good at judging GMs as of late. You’ll have to excuse us.

Last edited:

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
B6F242C3-2CD3-49EF-A0B5-BA5A9A9FE266.jpeg

Dear Diary,

A pesky leafs fan posted on the Pens Hfboards page today. Can you believe it?! Do not worry as I, a long standing member of this forum, stood up to him and made him feel most unwelcome. The news he brought may have been good news , but I assure you, he had an ulterior motive. I await to be showered with thanks and praise from my fellow posters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad