Some believe that the Sedins will leave for Sweden if they have another off year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Colbert+Wave.gif

arsmaster*

They will. Naslund did it too.

I can't see these guys gouging this team got $40m+ if they're not genuine top players.

Sucks for Hank too because his brother is dragging him down.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
This makes sense. I said this a while back that the Sedins aren't the type to hang around here and collect massive paychecks when they know they aren't performing anywhere close to those contracts. I actually think they'll be respectable 60 - 70 point guys this season, Henrik with a shot at 70+.

But, if they don't bounce back and have another off year, they are character guys who wouldn't milk the organization for money without performing.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
If they give the Canucks a chance to terminate their contracts that would be a huge save from how Gillis screwed us. I doubt they leave the money though.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Regardless of whether he's gotten this info from people in the know, it's still based on their speculation...

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
I think this would only happen if that's what management wanted as well. But I don't see any situation in which that would be the case.

So, highly unlikely IMO.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
If they give the Canucks a chance to terminate their contracts that would be a huge save from how Gillis screwed us. I doubt they leave the money though.

I completely disagree. Everything they have ever shown in this market and how they have conducted themselves tells me that if they genuinely felt they couldn't live up to their contracts and they were facing HEAVY criticism, they would leave the money.

Career earnings on capgeek for both of them is over 50 million. Doubt they ruin their reputations here and be all about the money after being great character guys in this city.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
That would certainly accelerate the rebuild.

Would be sad to see them go but it should be on their terms. All I want to see is #22 and #33 jerseys raised in short order.

All good things....come to an end.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
well this is terrifying.

If it happens the Canucks core of the last 5-10 years is officially ripped apart.

Don't see it as terrifying. If they were in their prime like Kane and Toews and saying they were going to leave, I'd panic. But these are 33 year olds with huge contracts coming off terrible seasons. Daniel hasn't been the same for 2 years.

I am cheering for the Sedins to have a big bounce back and I hope this never happens, but if they aren't producing and playing poorly while making $7 million annually each, why would we want them to stay?

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
well this is terrifying.

If it happens the Canucks core of the last 5-10 years is officially ripped apart.

Paying 50 point players 7M each is terrifying. If it is another off year I would be totally ok with them leaving. It clears 14M in cap space per year and opens up room to develop young players.

John Bender*

So botchy was musing about this, this morning and now wrote it so it's fact? Typical botch job.

John Bender*

Paying 50 point players 7M each is terrifying. If it is another off year I would be totally ok with them leaving. It clears 14M in cap space per year and opens up room to develop young players.

If they have an off year and leave that means a likely high pick and the Canucks rid themselves of the horrible contract. It's a good thing.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I find this to be highly specious. Pauser is probably getting drunk on a patio right now having read this on his phone.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
So we'd be off the hook for their contract? Their cap hit won't haunt us? League won't punish us like they did with NJD?

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
I'm basically in a constant state of terror now with Benning at the helm.

As opposed to the amazing reign of Mike Gillis? First half, yes, great. Second half was like waking up in the morning to realize you sharted in your pillowcases.

The team hasn't played a single freaking game under Benning yet, calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad