Solving the Tanking issue

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I know they are broadcasting Leaf games, but it's funny/sad that during intermissions the panels talk more about teams winning the lottery than teams winning the cup. Everything is focussed on the rebuild. I know we as leaf fans probably want to talk about the future, but I am still a hockey fan, and don't mind listening to discussion on teams that are excelling too.

As for tanking...
Just have a lottery when there is a generational talent on the line. Edmonton has proven that's the Halls of the world don't make a difference.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Players and coaches aren't. Icing an ahl level hockey team will take care of the losses.

What move(s) should they have made to avoid that?

Yes, there were 5 reasonably good forwards not dressed against Edmonton. That's because they're injured.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
With they current lottery format they sure "fixed" the tanking issure but this format also allows a team lets say the Oilers to get a first overall pic every year as they climb up the standings until they make the playoffs! And in turn leaves that last place team picking as bad as 4th every year. I think its a very poorly thought out system by someone who needs to control every aspect of the league. A 4th overall is still a good pick but if they turn out to be a flop once in a while your screwed.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Just change the draft to model the Crosby-draft model.

Everyone gets 5 balls, balls removed for playoff appearances over the past 5 years. I would probably remove a ball for every #1OA in the past 2-3 years also.

ie. Use a term of 5 years and give all teams a chance to win that haven't made the playoffs every year for the past 5.

It stops teams from tanking and gives equal opportunity for the teams that are trying to "build" a team. This way, the teams that are trying to win, but haven't been able to, are still rewarded.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Just change the draft to model the Crosby-draft model.

Everyone gets 5 balls, balls removed for playoff appearances over the past 5 years. I would probably remove a ball for every #1OA in the past 2-3 years also.

ie. Use a term of 5 years and give all teams a chance to win that haven't made the playoffs every year for the past 5.

It stops teams from tanking and gives equal opportunity for the teams that are trying to "build" a team. This way, the teams that are trying to win, but haven't been able to, are still rewarded.

I'd like the draft lottery to go away. What happened to the Oilers is because other than the 1st overall each year they have the worst drafting. They have nothing from any other rounds.

Last edited:

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
What if NHL implements a 1 game elimination tournament for all teams not in playoffs for the 1st overall pick, 3rd place game for 3rd pick?

Force lower teams to try and make playoffs and if they don't they have to beat others for top pick...have teams earn it, Offer money compensation for winning the draft to motivate players to compete and NHL makes additional money with these important games.

Noooooooooooooooooooo

Then you open up the opportunity of a terrible team not being good enough to obtain top talent. Imagine if a system is in place like this during an expansion year, teams like the Capitals would literally never be able to get out of the basement.

Besides, players don't want to play meaningless games for a better draft pick, those games would look like all-star games with the low amount of effort put out.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'd like the draft lottery to go away. What happened to the Oilers is because other than the 1st overall each year they have the worst drafting. They have nothing from any other rounds.

Yet a lot of those later round picks go on to become players on other teams.

IMO that points to their development rather than the scouts.

And management is a large part of development.

You're just seeing the results of Tambellini's complete ineptitude.

And also what happens when you offer sheet a team without first trying to negotiate a trade.

GMs are already cutthroat but you pull a dick-move like that and it turns deadly. Elliotte Friedman always uses the analogy of "when you're drowning, nobody throws life jackets, they throw anchors."

Well Tambellini convinced the other GMs they needed to throw chum. Not anchors.

Jun 27, 2005
I didn't read the entire thread but the very simple and very obvious solution to the problem is to stop drafting kids. The NHL draft age is 18. The NFL draft age is "3 years out of high school". If we set the NHL draft age at 3 years out of high school American and Canadian college hockey would be fantastic and these kids would get an education as well.

Now when the weaker teams in the league draft early these top picks would be ready to play in the NHL and would immediately improve their teams pulling them out of last while properly ordering the draft and significantly reducing busts.

Problem solved.

Last edited:

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Here is an idea, but would never fly, implement a tax system to perennial bottom feeders. Kinda like the MLB has in place for teams spending more than the $200 million cap and in the international signing pool. First year offenders don't get penalized but second year offenders would be penalized x amount of dollars if they didn't improve by a set amount of wins and standing position. The tax would increase the more years you spend in the bottom 5.

Or solution #2, any team found in the bottom 5 in back to back years would be eliminated from the lottery. Harsh but that would eliminate tanking and force GMs and owners to pony up the money to ice a hockey team worthy of playing in the league. Could even go so far as if you end up bottom 5 for a 3rd straight year that you must play the best AHL team and the winner of that game gets to play in the NHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
at the very least, they should snake the draft.

I'd actually say every round after the first should go in order of best to worst.

The_Puck_Hog

Oct 30, 2003
Visit site
Simple Solution to the Draft

If you pick in the top 3 in year A..... Than Year B (Next year), you can pick no higher than 4th, regardless of where you finish...

It will still award bad teams high picks, but will eliminate Teams like Edmonton from being spoiled and having 4 number 1 picks in 6 years...

Sure a team could tank for 1 year.... but I don't think that is the problem... bottom line is the NHL draft would not have been changed were it not for the Undeserving Oilers... It's sinful that this team continues to be rewarded ...it should have been stopped 3 to 4 years ago... I almost vomited when I heard McDavid to Edmonton(By Far the Most undeserving team)

In a system like this, a lottery man not even be necessary.

Jun 27, 2005
If you pick in the top 3 in year A..... Than Year B (Next year), you can pick no higher than 4th, regardless of where you finish...

It will still award bad teams high picks, but will eliminate Teams like Edmonton from being spoiled and having 4 number 1 picks in 6 years...

Sure a team could tank for 1 year.... but I don't think that is the problem... bottom line is the NHL draft would not have been changed were it not for the Undeserving Oilers... It's sinful that this team continues to be rewarded ...it should have been stopped 3 to 4 years ago... I almost vomited when I heard McDavid to Edmonton(By Far the Most undeserving team)

In a system like this, a lottery man not even be necessary.

Just wait until some team like the Pens or L.A. get a late injury and just drop out of the playoffs and then win the lottery with a 1% chance. Everyone who signed off on that idea should be instantly fired. In fact it should be a test question to see if you get to work in hockey.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
The Leafs are the only team that appears to be tanking. For that reason, even if there is an issue, I don't want it fixed.

I would like there to be a limit to the amount of first overalls you can get cause of that trash Edmonton franchise. Not really fair that they got mcdavid.

It's 100% fair they got McDavid. I don't like it anymore then you, but that's the luck of the draw.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Stupid the tanking problem comes from teams not having good enough core players to lead the team

Why do leaf fans what to give away the best player to other teams

Did maybe make it fair for us when we were finishing 9 thru 15 the worse yr after yr

But now that we have hit rock bottom odds are against us again

Possibly furthering the. Rebuild process

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
The Leafs are the only team that appears to be tanking. For that reason, even if there is an issue, I don't want it fixed.

I would like there to be a limit to the amount of first overalls you can get cause of that trash Edmonton franchise. Not really fair that they got mcdavid.

Agreed! There shouldn't be a limit on number ones! For one team.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Want to really stop rewarding bad NHL franchises? Eliminate the draft entirely and make every 18 year old a free agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad