Solutions to the PP

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
With the power play struggling, I was wondering if we should just treat the power play time as normal play time. No more power play lines, just play your regular lines, expect now there's 1 less player on the other side. I understand why teams would have specific lines just for the powerplay to load up on offense, but wouldn't there also be an argument that lines are they are, have built in chemistry and have the flow of game, so why not keep it as is?

Give the coach in charge of the PP the boot in the off season.

Reactions: CincoHolio

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
With the power play struggling, I was wondering if we should just treat the power play time as normal play time. No more power play lines, just play your regular lines, expect now there's 1 less player on the other side. I understand why teams would have specific lines just for the powerplay to load up on offense, but wouldn't there also be an argument that lines are they are, have built in chemistry and have the flow of game, so why not keep it as is?

I have been saying the exact same thing to anyone who will listen, but for some reason there seems to be a real aversion to this idea, which I find confusing. 1st pp would be 34, 16,12, 44, 78 and 2nd pp 91, 88, 71, 8, 3 I don't see the problem. This leaves out Thornton, Simmonds, Hyman though I wouldn't be opposed to rolling the 3rd line if the first two are really struggling with 11,19, and either 65, 97,24 along with 22, 23 on D. All lines bring something different to the table and we would get a much different look from the blue line which imo is needed. . I think we may be surprised in a good way at the outcome of trying something like this. It can't be any worse can it?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I love Morgs, but what is his role on the PP, apart from a making ten foot passes to the players on the side from the top of the point? Without a true point shot threat, he’s providing nothing of note. The PP doesn’t run through him at all, he’s constantly deferring to Marner and never really throwing pucks on net. That has to change, or put someone in that spot that brings an element to the table, almost anyone can provide what he brings now.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
PP 20-21 w/Rielly On Ice: 8.74gf/60, 7.79xgf/60
PP 19-20 w/Rielly On Ice: 8.54gf/60, 7.65xgf/60
PP 19-20 w/Barrie On Ice: 7.52gf/60, 6.45xgf/60
upload_2021-4-18_7-26-23.gif

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I love Morgs, but what is his role on the PP, apart from a making ten foot passes to the players on the side from the top of the point? Without a true point shot threat, he’s providing nothing of note. The PP doesn’t run through him at all, he’s constantly deferring to Marner and never really throwing pucks on net. That has to change, or put someone in that spot that brings an element to the table, almost anyone can provide what he brings now.

The problem is two fold.
What he's providing now isn't the same as when the powerplay was effective earlier this year or last, namely the ability the ability to be a rover. When our powerplay was firing, we had tons of movement and Rielly would not stay at the point for the entire powerplay. No other defenseman can match his skating, agility, puck handling and ability to enter the zone with possession, passing and even his shot when he works down low into more appropriate scoring places for him.

The 2nd problem, as I see it, is that the deficiencies Rielly has as a point threat, aren't really noticeably improved by swapping in any of our other defensive personnel, and I don't believe a 5 forward pp is a good idea.

This group has proven effective before they just need to get back to basics and outwork the pk. I don't see Rielly as a problem specifically and he's clearly our best option imo

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Create chaos around the net. Like someone said in the last page, try keeping a guy down low almost behind the net opening up the points, get a shot on net and rush for the rebound/tip deflection. Might as well start trying this now, because in the playoffs that's the highest percentage way you will score on the PP.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Like i said we needed a major penalty lol.. hope hyman is alright that dirty bast*** kneeing him

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
they keep trying this east west passing bullshit... put someone in front of the net and have the other 4 guys shoot ..
that method has worked since the beginning of time

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just need a bounce or two more to go in. That Spezza off the post, off Holtby was the perfect example of what's been going on the last month and a half.

I've seen bad puck luck on PPs before but it's almost comical lately. We've actually had a tone more chances and zone time than the teams we face over that time but our great media (they'll tell you how great they are) spin as hard as they can to tell you the opposite.

Since March 1st, expected goals on the PP: 3rd in the NHL, high danger chances created on the PP: 2nd in the NHL.

The coaching end has been pretty good. Just need a bounce or two. Maybe trade a well placed 5v5 goal instead of one of the 15 posts we've hit so the masochistic media doesn't have something to obsess over about a team that is 9-2-2 the last 13.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The problem is two fold.
What he's providing now isn't the same as when the powerplay was effective earlier this year or last, namely the ability the ability to be a rover. When our powerplay was firing, we had tons of movement and Rielly would not stay at the point for the entire powerplay. No other defenseman can match his skating, agility, puck handling and ability to enter the zone with possession, passing and even his shot when he works down low into more appropriate scoring places for him.

The 2nd problem, as I see it, is that the deficiencies Rielly has as a point threat, aren't really noticeably improved by swapping in any of our other defensive personnel, and I don't believe a 5 forward pp is a good idea.

This group has proven effective before they just need to get back to basics and outwork the pk. I don't see Rielly as a problem specifically and he's clearly our best option imo

I'd also add that I think Rielly should consider taking more shots. Not necessarily as a first option or even as a main option, but in situations where the PK is giving him a ton of space, let him go for it rather than forcing something to Marner or Matthews.

Tavares can tip. Nylander can tip. Lots of guys can tip. Who knows, he has shown he can even get some nice shots off and can rack up goals.

Main thing is that we can't force things. Way too much of that happening right now, especially out of Marner... Which is especially concerning and telling because he is the main guy with the puck on the PP.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just need a bounce or two more to go in. That Spezza off the post, off Holtby was the perfect example of what's been going on the last month and a half.

I've seen bad puck luck on PPs before but it's almost comical lately. We've actually had a tone more chances and zone time than the teams we face over that time but our great media (they'll tell you how great they are) spin as hard as they can to tell you the opposite.

Since March 1st, expected goals on the PP: 3rd in the NHL, high danger chances created on the PP: 2nd in the NHL.

The coaching end has been pretty good. Just need a bounce or two. Maybe trade a well placed 5v5 goal instead of one of the 15 posts we've hit so the masochistic media doesn't have something to obsess over about a team that is 9-2-2 the last 13.

Our set up and zone play hasn't been as good either. Now I don't know if that stems from bad luck at the beginning, but as the record piled up it was getting worse. Not clean, especially in the zone, and we had guys way out of position far too often.

More games like the one against Vancouver though and we will get back on track. Still some sloppiness from certain guys but generally, a productive effort.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
The PP is dysfunctional. Too predictable. Like mix things up a bit. Seems to be too much playing around. They can't get it up, only reaching the edge of the offensive zone just to be sent back. Maybe it's time to just put it in deep and go hard. Now when they throw the second PP unit out they seem to have no problem getting in, they just don't know what to do once they're in there and can't score. I bet we could put 2 PP units out at once and still couldn't seal the deal. They are given 2 free minutes with the puck in there to get the job done and most times can't get a shot off cause they're just playing with it. I'm not saying to just go in there and start hammering away but you've gotta get off a few shots. Maybe it's time to stop stroking their egos and just go with the top 2 lines with the top 2 D lines.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Every good PP needs a legit slap shot presence on point .. we lack it

Every good PP needs creativity and unpredictable play .. we lack it

Every good PP needs a net front screen presence ... we lack it

We are way way way over coached and we need to stop trying to plan out every move on PP

Best to try different guys, a different break out and a different set up in offensive end .. no need to coach it just name guys and put them out there

We have guys who are best carrying puck over da line with speed and making plays on da fly

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Personally I think Nylander is being wasted on that 1st PP unit.

They gotta spit the PP units IMO and give them 1 min each and whichever unit is doing well just run with it more

PP1- has a traditional make up with shooters, screen and folks that can also make plays
PP1
Matthews (left wall)-Nylander (right wall)-Simmonds (screen)-Spezza (bumper)-Muzzin

PP2 - not traditional; Marner has to keep skating/moving as a rover, mostly playmakers with 2 shots in JT (net front) and Galchenyuk (one timer); if Brodie/Holl man the point you get another shot option.
PP2
Tavares (net front)-Marner (rover)-Galchenyuk (right wall)-Thornton (left wall)-Rielly/Holl/Brodie

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Rankings Since March 1st:

5v5:

TOI: 1161:10
Corsi For/60: 5th in the NHL
Shots/60: 7th in the NHL
Scoring Chances/60: 2nd in the NHL
High Danger Chances/60: 1st in the NHL
xGF/60: 3rd in the NHL
Goals For/60: 6th in the NHL
Shooting%: 7th in the NHL

On the PP:

TOI: 103:41
Corsi For/60: 4th in the NHL
Shots/60: 15th in the NHL
Scoring Chances/60: 2nd in the NHL
High Danger Chances/60: 1st in the NHL
xGF/60: 2nd in the NHL
Goals For/60: 28th in the NHL
Shooting%: 29th in the NHL

All the stats are screaming the powerplay is a lot better than advertised and has actually been one of the best in the league in terms of creating scoring chances but almost 0 puck luck and trying to pick corners too often has led to a way too low level of shots on net and a crazy number of goalposts hit over this stretch.

Its the same with the passing. Stop trying to be too fancy and just try to get the pucks on net.

The media over analysis of the PP lately has been comically bad though. Watching them try and put forth their "expert" analysis when the luck variable has been so huge is cringeworthy.

weeweeballs

Jan 22, 2021
I thought the power play has looked dangerous recently in terms of creating chances, just need a little more luck to bury them.

Their biggest problem has been with zone entries and setting up.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Looking at the absolute worst stretch we can find (March 11th to April 4th, 0 goals scored, 11 games total):

Corsi For/60: 12th in the NHL
Shots/60: 20th in the NHL
Scoring Chances/60: 14th in the NHL
High Danger Chances/60: 6th in the NHL
xGF/60: 16th in the NHL
Goals For/60: 31st in the NHL
Shooting%: 31st in the NHL

The Leafs were legitimately slumping here compared with their usual stats and its the thing that drove the awful streak. Notice that all their underlying stats are still average at worst though.

April 5th to current:
Corsi For/60: 11th in the NHL
Shots/60: 18th in the NHL
Scoring Chances/60: 3rd in the NHL
High Danger Chances/60: 7th in the NHL
xGF/60: 1st in the NHL
Goals For/60: 24th in the NHL
Shooting%: 24th in the NHL

The 7 games since have been a little better (especially scoring chance generation and overall xGF/60) but the lingering shooting woes might also be due to the toxic media literally analyzing each play they make on the PP for some reason. Might be gripping their sticks a little to tight. Another top team (the Islanders) have actually been as bad or worse than the Leafs on the PP but havnt heard a peep out of the NY media for some reason. Perhaps a thread on how the Isles are "historically" bad may show up one day?

Anyways, the Leafs are certainly showing signs of snapping out of the shooting slump even though I fully expect them to hit a post a game on the PP at least 2 more nights for some reason.

Reactions: Menzinger

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Sandin should be QB'ing the PP1 while he is still in the lineup. Presumably for at least a month while Bogo is on the mend. It is very obvious after watching just the 1 PP he played yesterday that he adds a dimension that we are not getting with Rielly or Brodie. His ability to be patient with the puck and draw that penalty killer up high was very very noticeable. He walks the blue better than anyone on the team by a mile, and can change the angle very quickly. Not to mention he probably passes the puck better than anyone on the back end. It appears clear that we are not going to work the puck behind the goal line, so we need someone on the point who has the ability to be deceptive and patient with the puck. Rielly has that ability, he just hasn't done it all year. The second the puck works back to Mo on the PP, he takes 3 strides in one direction and goes far side to the other wall, or reverses it back to where it came from. Doesn't do anything, and is very predictable. Sandin clearly looks confident with the puck and has the ability to get the PK'ers moving. Its definitely risky in an umbrella system to work the puck back to the lone D-man up top, but he has shown that he isn't phased by that type of pressure. Not to mention he has very good hockey sense, and very rarely seems to try to make plays that his skillset cannot support. If he can draw that PK'er up higher it will open up the cross seam feed once he dishes it to either wall guy. something that hasn't been open for almost 2 months now. hardly ever get the cross seem dish through these days. His 1 minute on the PP was about as good as our PP has looked in the last 2 months. and it was also not with the big boys

Reactions: Captain14

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It fixed itself. They are found money. Focus on structure and winning. If we get one or two fine. Plan for winning without it.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Could close this thread now no ......
Not even close lol. I wouldnt call the 2 PP goals that we have gotten in the last 3 games a product of a solved PP. One was off of a SH chance against which produced an odd man rush going the other way. Which was also part of a 5 minute major where they generated 1 shot on net prior to the goal... the other was a short side shot after 1.5 minutes of moving the puck around the perimeter with no real HDCF being generated. In fact, the goal itself was likely not even a HDCF. It was a shot that 9 times out of 10 misses the net and gets rimmed out of the zone. The PP is still very much a problem. They generate no quality chances, and continue to do so despite their recent "success"

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not even close lol. I wouldnt call the 2 PP goals that we have gotten in the last 3 games a product of a solved PP. One was off of a SH chance against which produced an odd man rush going the other way. Which was also part of a 5 minute major where they generated 1 shot on net prior to the goal... the other was a short side shot after 1.5 minutes of moving the puck around the perimeter with no real HDCF being generated. In fact, the goal itself was likely not even a HDCF. It was a shot that 9 times out of 10 misses the net and gets rimmed out of the zone. The PP is still very much a problem. They generate no quality chances, and continue to do so despite their recent "success"
Only counts if they hadn’t scored. Ha they scored,they won all good. Lets talk about turnovers now lol and these passes in to the middle everyone is doing, mybgod it’s horrific to watch.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Stop dropping the pass back all the time
Come up the ice with some balls ablaze
Play with urgency
Stop doing the same thing
Put it in the corner once an a while
Shoot more
Have more bet presence
Get our shooters on the off wings at the circles