Solutions to the PP

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Win the face off. When they lose it ...it literally takes them a minute to get set back up in the O zone. They also need to work harder for loose pucks in front of the net. Hoping to see a different Thornton comes playoffs but I have watched this experiment before with Marleau.

Reactions: crump

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2021-5-17_20-59-8.gif

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
A quick and dirty fix to the PP would be to go back to "basics" - dump and chase with plenty of point shots with traffic. Teams seem to be accounting for the Leafs' insistence on making the Marner-Matthews pass and Rielly's shot just can't provide enough gravity nor can his play provide the required deception to make the low-high option a threat. They need to replace Marner with Nylander (or even Spezza) ASAP so that there's a legitimate shooting threat from both sides.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Comes down to our puck movement being too slow. Good PP's have quick movement- on and off stick...much more fake shots/fake passes. Every player we have on the unit has to load up on their shot. If we don't have a one-time threat and that's outside the comfort zone of our players, we need to get more pucks to the net quicker with traffic in front of the net and just fight for rebounds.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Comes down to our puck movement being too slow. Good PP's have quick movement- on and off stick...much more fake shots/fake passes. Every player we have on the unit has to load up on their shot. If we don't have a one-time threat and that's outside the comfort zone of our players, we need to get more pucks to the net quicker with traffic in front of the net and just fight for rebounds.
This is exactly how I see it. Especially Rielly he needs to stop thinking about his next pass for 10 seconds

Auston Powers

May 16, 2016
Toronto

Really do not like these units.

I get what you are saying about the singular focus on Matthews but I have to disagree with you here. I love these PP lines. I even gave my views earlier in this thread back in mid April.
Solutions to the PP

Also, if you look up in this thread @FabledKnight got it right last Friday which is pretty cool (except for Reilly vs Muzzin).

PP1
................Hymen
Marner Thornton Matthews
................Muzzin

PP2
................Simmonds
Nylander Tavares Spezza
................Sandin

Reactions: FabledKnight

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Don't care for trying to make 2 good units when they haven't even had 1 for so long; zone entries have been a problem but Leafs need more shooting threats than Matthews on the flank. Marners been too predictable so I'd want to see him temporarily taken off his flank.

Hyman/Simmonds
Nylander - Tavares - Matthews
Sandin
/Marner

Netfront I'd rather see Hyman than Simmonds because of his ability to win pucks down low to keep possession; Tavares is the best bumper option. Nylander & Matthews on the flanks can provide two legitimate scoring threats; both are excellent shooters & passers. Sandman is probably the best point option but I think Marner would be capable of playing that position. He has good poise, defensive instincts, & edgework; a 5-forward unit might be a bit of a defensive liability but if it gets them scoring it could be worth a try.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
More shooters on pp1.

Marner
Nylander
Matthews
Tavares
Muzzin

Current config only has matthews on pp1.

Reactions: ZEBROA

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
More shooters on pp1.

Marner
Nylander
Matthews
Tavares
Muzzin

Current config only has matthews on pp1.
How hard can it be to understand this? Just do it allready! Let the pp2 be a experimental line with other players who are hot that game. A great carrot for the average players. Worst case scenario , everybody play great and it will be hard to choose wich players to put on pp2.

Might not work but why not give it a try

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad