Solution to the LTIR Issue

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The problem with your suggestion is, the injury timeline might actually be that the player can’t play in game 82, but would be ready within a week which is when playoffs start. He might miss the 1st game but be ready for the 2nd game of the first round. Seriously, the easiest thing to do is just apply the exact same regular season rule to the playoffs.
At this point I'm just going to start quoting from my own post because nobody seems to be able to read it:
If Vegas wants Mark Stone to play in the playoffs, they would have three options:
  1. Dress him in game 82 and have him play.
  2. Activate him but leave him as a healthy scratch.
  3. Put him on regular IR, which would make him ineligible to play for 7 days.
If a player is not healthy enough to play in game 82, the team simply puts him on regular IR. They can even do this earlier so that the player will be available to start the playoffs. The problem you're referring to is not a problem.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The problem isn't what Vegas is doing. It's other teams not having the opportunity to do the same.
well I think its pretty obvious that Stone (and Kucherov) could (have) come back before game 1 of the playoffs unless youre naive as hell.

So its being dishonest and using a blatant loophole to get an advantage. No team should be allowed to do this just like when NJ tried to circumvent the cap with Kovalchuk.... Same reasoning.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At this point I'm just going to start quoting from my own post because nobody seems to be able to read it:

If a player is not healthy enough to play in game 82, the team simply puts him on regular IR. They can even do this earlier so that the player will be available to start the playoffs. The problem you're referring to is not a problem.
In which case being on regular IR or being a healthy scratch will count against the cap in the playoffs. I think we’re saying the same thing, and I agree with that. Same rules for regular season and playoffs. That’s the easy way to go.

Being on regular IR counts against the cap i believe, or doesn’t? I’m not sure about that one

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Prove it. Please tell me how you know which individual owner is thinking.
It's been an ongoing thing since the Hawks did it with Kane all those years ago. Tampa spoke up and nobody cared, so then Tampa used it with Kucherov. Then Vegas did it, and did it again, and I'm still not seeing the same level of outrage from players, coaches, managers and owners that I see from fans online.

Clearly if it was as big of an issue and actual cheating as fans think it is, surely there would have been some major uproar from those in and around the league since Chicago did this?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
You can’t just implement the same cap system in the playoffs, injuries would be an issue and cap compliance for minor injuries would result in teams playing short players and/or really risking an injured player playing when they should —- though that happens in the playoffs anyways I guess.

Additionally, having some added flexibility helps get more top end players in the playoffs in general, which is not a bad thing. So you don’t want to crack down too hard IMO.

I would be down for a dressed player cap that requires teams to dress 18 skaters and 2 goalies and that dressed roster be cap compliant for the playoffs.

This would eliminate teams benching 2-3 high cap players until the playoffs and acquiring a few more high cap guys at the deadline only to dress them all in the playoffs, but it would allow those teams to go get some quality depth guys to fill out the roster to help stem the tide of big injuries and not have to rush players back.

Teams would all gain a bit of playoff cap space, as you are only looking at dressed players. They would still be able to add good bench depth to get them through a deep playoff run where you need 2-5 extra forwards and 1-3 D men that likely step in too. Because it’s only dressed players, it’s not a problem to pick up some 1-2 million dollar depth guys at the deadline and have them as scratches in the playoffs and play them in and out of the lineup as needed.

Reactions: MarkT

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Teams aren't going to activate hurt players....I think that's that's going to be an NHLPA issue.
This. I don't care what "great" idea people have for "fixing" the cap for the playoffs, as long as there's ANY aspect of it that can cause players to have to come off IR to play in the playoffs despite being hurt or having to miss any amount of the playoffs because of an injury, where they might be healed enough to play before that mandatory waiting period is over, that idea is a complete non-starter with the NHLPA.

• Haha

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You guys are such whiners, honestly. I don't want to see parity, I want to see great teams load up. If someone doesn't like it, maybe their team should beat Vegas? The way you guys proposing shit, will make the NHL and the trade deadline very boring.
Parity would be okay if it wasn't artificially forced down your throat. But here it's simply the league trying to create the illusion of parity for monetary gains.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
"Ted, why do you keep saying the average fan has no clue how a Collective Bargaining Agreement works?"

No one is making the owners or the players do anything they don't want. You or anyone else can rage post any idea you want, you're not making the two parties that make the decision do anything any more than you standing outside One Manhattan West and stamping your feet waiving a bullhorn demanding satisfaction. Please quit pretending "I think, therefore it must be right, therefore everyone else must do it" is a remotely plausible idea.

1. I'm sorry that you, like everyone else who keeps proposing this, has an objectively shitty "solution" and won't listen to criticism of it because you f***ing swear to God your solution is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Or the Tamagotchi. Or the Thigh Master. Or all three combined.

2. A "straw man" argument is inventing some other claim and then attacking it. I'm not attacking something else, I'm attacking your "solution" because it's objectively shit for reasons I explained and it is never getting accepted by the NHLPA [and probably the owners either] - except in your imaginary world where

3. I did read your response. It's nothing new. Seriously, you may think you've stumbled on some novel idea because it's not. It's the same idea, just in a new post and presented as something new and fresh. It's 6-month old rancid milk that's still sitting in the hot sun.
why are you so mad? LOLOL

great solution OP, hopefully something like that can be implemented and we can stop having these asterisk cup winners

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Oh, sorry. :eyeroll: Let's try this again, see if it fits better.

You: "If enough fans see a problem, the owners should listen."
[A bunch of fans cry about a problem]
[Owners listen]
Owners: "Go f*** yourselves."

Well, there we go! The owners listened! Not a f***ing thing changed, but hooray, we're following the letter of what you really said without you being offended about other words involved while laying out exactly what's going to happen.

By this same stroke of logic, adults should listen to their friends if if enough friends are upset about some aspect of the adult's life.

Quaint, beautiful, so logical. Unfortunately, reality is a bitch. Who knows, though. You should start a boycott if [when] the owners don't listen to you. I'm sure you'll show them.
Hm. Please point to any post I have made where I claim that it is likely that the owners are going to approve my idea? I'm arguing that they should do this, not that they are likely to. I've never met the owners, so I'm not going to make any definite claims about what they will or won't do.
While you're at it, maybe provide some proof that the NHL have never instituted a rule change that the fans wanted, since you're so certain they'll never do anything the fans want.
Also, your example about the friends thing goes a long way to explaining the way you communicate.
I don't care if you take it personally or not. I've dealt with too many people that keep spouting the same crappy idea as if it's brilliant and simple, when 30 seconds of critical thinking reveals massive problems with it.

Like ... you know, you did as well when you pitched your idea as being so simple. Which, again, 30 seconds of critical thinking reveals massive problems with it.

You know what would never happen? The NHLPA agreeing to let teams force players into the lineup even when the player isn't healthy. Like, say, what's spelled out in Exhibit 25-A of the CBA where it specifically states the player has a right to a 2nd opinion regarding the [team] physician's determination of his fitness to play.

:facepalm:

1. If the player is already on IR, there's nothing else to be done. There's no well, we'll really put him on IR option. If he's on LTIR, he's not going on Super-LTIR or something.

2. To "Dress him in game 82 and have him play" or "Activate him but leave him as a healthy scratch" a player on IR - which is what you were referring to - necessarily has to come off IR. By definition, he can't be on IR and be on the Active Roster, much less be on IR and play in a game.
Right. Which is why in most cases, teams would simply change their status from LTIR to IR. I wonder why you quoted option 1 and option 2 from my post but ignored option 3, where I mentioned moving the player to standard IR.

What might help is if you summarize what you think my idea is - I only ask because you really seem to think my idea is to force team to put injured players on their active roster for game 82, whereas my actual idea to force them to remove their LTIR status, and if they're still injured they can be put on standard IR. I understand this would require changes to the wording of the CBA, but I believe it would be a easier change than things like adding a playoff salary cap.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Come on guys there’s nothing wrong with a system that causes fans to want the stars on their team to get a long term injury at the exact right time so they can load up to the same extent their rivals did. That’s a perfectly reasonable and coherent fan experience, just like cheering for your team to lose for better picks or playoff matchups.

Why do you, like other people from time to time, think you know what I think when we both know you have no idea what I think?

Lmao u so mad tho

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Hm. Please point to any post I have made where I claim that it is likely that the owners are going to approve my idea? I'm arguing that they should do this, not that they are likely to. I've never met the owners, so I'm not going to make any definite claims about what they will or won't do.
You're going into Clinton talk here.
While you're at it, maybe provide some proof that the NHL have never instituted a rule change that the fans wanted, since you're so certain they'll never do anything the fans want.

Also, your example about the friends thing goes a long way to explaining the way you communicate.
If you don't like how I communicate, put me on ignore. I promise I'll get over it pretty quickly.

Right. Which is why in most cases, teams would simply change their status from LTIR to IR. I wonder why you quoted option 1 and option 2 from my post but ignored option 3, where I mentioned moving the player to standard IR.
1. LTIR is a subset of IR. It's not a distinct grouping.
2. You can't move a player from LTIR to IR unless you're changing the CBA for that. Which, you're going to have to change lots of other stuff in the CBA to match, which I'm confident you and others haven't touched the first letter or punctuation mark on.
3. I quoted option 1 and option 2 because it necessarily requires a player to come off IR. Which, if the player is still injured and unable to play, requires him to agree to be deemed fit to play when he really isn't. Which, as I've explained a few times now, the NHLPA is going to have serious problems with.

What might help is if you summarize what you think my idea is - I only ask because you really seem to think my idea is to force team to put injured players on their active roster for game 82, whereas my actual idea to force them to remove their LTIR status, and if they're still injured they can be put on standard IR. I understand this would require changes to the wording of the CBA, but I believe it would be a easier change than things like adding a playoff salary cap.
Your actual idea is ... well, let's go right back to the source, lest you bitch and complain I inserted a word incorrectly:

In order to be eligible to play in the playoffs, a player cannot be on LTIR in game 82 of the regular season.

That's it. It's just that simple. If Vegas wants Mark Stone to play in the playoffs, they would have three options:
  1. Dress him in game 82 and have him play.
  2. Activate him but leave him as a healthy scratch.
  3. Put him on regular IR, which would make him ineligible to play for 7 days.*
1 and 2 require the player to be taken off IR, which I've explained to you at least 3 times and to others about a combined 99,003 times is never getting past the NHLPA.

3 is a purely administrative move but also mandates that a player who may be healthy in say 4 days must wait an additional 3 days before playing - which means he may be forced to miss playoff games - regardless of the amount of time he previously missed. Which, ... stop me if you've heard this ... the NHLPA is never going to agree to.

You're "fixing" a "problem" and creating real problems instead. But goddamnit, you're "fixing the problem!" And, you're showing zero signs that you're going to acknowledge there's a problem with your idea no matter how many times I point out the easy stuff, so I'm done.

Lmao u so mad tho
"I don't like what you have to say, so you must be the problem and not me."

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Team should be required to send in doctors notes to Bettman for approval before players are allowed to go on to the LTIR.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Why the first round? Why choose that instead of the 2nd round or the 3rd round or the first game, etc..?
Logic and morality says that if you can't play the last game of the regular season you shouldn't be able to play first game of the playoffs a couple of days later. And the logical thing to do would be to expand the ineligibility for the entire first round.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My solution would just be that any player who is on LTIR at the trade deadline and remains there through game 82 of the regular season is not eligible for the first round of the playoffs.

Reactions: Vector

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You can’t really prove if the player wasn’t ready for game 82 but was ready few days later for the 1st game of the playoffs. You can look at logically and say that was the case, but what if the injury timeline is really that? Or he might be ready for the 2nd or 3rd game of the first round. The suggestion that if you’re not playing game 82 you can’t play in the 1st 2nd or 3rd game of the first round doesn’t really solve the issue much.

Again, don’t have to complicate stuff. Same rules regular season and playoffs, problem solved

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You're going into Clinton talk here.
I have this weird thing about wanting people to respond to the actual content of what I say and the intended meaning behind it. I know. It's really strange.
Yeah, it's a really hard thing to prove. I'm not sure why you tried to claim that the owners would never do something. It's not really logical to make definite claims about things not being possible when you don't have any real proof of that.
If you don't like how I communicate, put me on ignore. I promise I'll get over it pretty quickly.
I've dealt with worse. I'll manage.
1. LTIR is a subset of IR. It's not a distinct grouping.
2. You can't move a player from LTIR to IR unless you're changing the CBA for that. Which, you're going to have to change lots of other stuff in the CBA to match, which I'm confident you and others haven't touched the first letter or punctuation mark on.
3. I quoted option 1 and option 2 because it necessarily requires a player to come off IR. Which, if the player is still injured and unable to play, requires him to agree to be deemed fit to play when he really isn't. Which, as I've explained a few times now, the NHLPA is going to have serious problems with.
Let's see...
Me: "I understand this would require changes to the wording of the CBA"
You: "You can't move a player from LTIR to IR unless you're changing the CBA for that. Which, you're going to have to change lots of other stuff in the CBA to match, which I'm confident you and others haven't touched the first letter or punctuation mark on."
Me: 🫠 Who are you even talking to? It's clearly not me.
Your actual idea is ... well, let's go right back to the source, lest you bitch and complain I inserted a word incorrectly:

1 and 2 require the player to be taken off IR, which I've explained to you at least 3 times and to others about a combined 99,003 times is never getting past the NHLPA.
3 is a purely administrative move but also mandates that a player who may be healthy in say 4 days must wait an additional 3 days before playing - which means he may be forced to miss playoff games - regardless of the amount of time he previously missed. Which, ... stop me if you've heard this ... the NHLPA is never going to agree to.
You're "fixing" a "problem" and creating real problems instead. But goddamnit, you're "fixing the problem!"

"I don't like what you have to say, so you must be the problem and not me."
I love how you assumed that in option 1 and 2, the player would be injured. Why would anyone suggest that? It's asinine. In Stone's case, Vegas would only use 1 or 2 if he was healthy.
Obviously option 3 was the intended idea for if the player was still injured. And I know I put it in small text, but my suggestion would be if a player was going to be ready for the playoffs, the team would move them from LTIR to IR 7 days before the start of the playoffs, not game 82.

You can’t really prove if the player wasn’t ready for game 82 but was ready few days later for the 1st game of the playoffs. You can look at logically and say that was the case, but what if the injury timeline is really that? Or he might be ready for the 2nd or 3rd game of the first round. The suggestion that if you’re not playing game 82 you can’t play in the 1st 2nd or 3rd game of the first round doesn’t really solve the issue much.

Again, don’t have to complicate stuff. Same rules regular season and playoffs, problem solved
Good thing my idea isn't that anyone has to play in game 82. You might want to read my idea again. or I can explain it again if you like. IT sounds like you heard a similar idea before and you're confusing that with the idea I posted. I've heard ideas where the player would have to actually play in game 82 to be eligible in the playoffs, which is a stupid idea in my opinion for the reasons you listed here.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Logic and morality says that if you can't play the last game of the regular season you shouldn't be able to play first game of the playoffs a couple of days later. And the logical thing to do would be to expand the ineligibility for the entire first round.
I doubt you would be able to get consensus on that. Other people's sense of logic and morality are likely to lead them to suggest different timelines.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The fix is simple (playoff teams need to ice a cap compliant roster). Instead the media would love to drag this out for content purposes.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I have this weird thing about wanting people to respond to the actual content of what I say and the intended meaning behind it. I know. It's really strange.

Yeah, it's a really hard thing to prove. I'm not sure why you tried to claim that the owners would never do something. It's not really logical to make definite claims about things not being possible when you don't have any real proof of that.

Let's see...
You: "You can't move a player from LTIR to IR unless you're changing the CBA for that. Which, you're going to have to change lots of other stuff in the CBA to match, which I'm confident you and others haven't touched the first letter or punctuation mark on."

I love how you assumed that in option 1 and 2, the player would be injured. Why would anyone suggest that? It's asinine. In Stone's case, Vegas would only use 1 or 2 if he was healthy.
Obviously option 3 was the intended idea for if the player was still injured. And I know I put it in small text, but my suggestion would be if a player was going to be ready for the playoffs, the team would move them from LTIR to IR 7 days before the start of the playoffs, not game 82.

Good thing my idea isn't that anyone has to play in game 82. You might want to read my idea again. or I can explain it again if you like. IT sounds like you heard a similar idea before and you're confusing that with the idea I posted. I've heard ideas where the player would have to actually play in game 82 to be eligible in the playoffs, which is a stupid idea in my opinion for the reasons you listed here.
I understand your idea, and the bottom line is, you’re suggesting that teams can use LTIR

Let's see...

I understand your suggestions, and the bottom line is, you’re suggesting that the team can’t use LTIR to load up and then be over the cap in the playoffs because the player either plays game 82, or activated and is a healthy scratch, or put on regular IR. All this is what I’m suggesting. Be cap compliant in the playoffs. You can still use LTIR in the regular season and trade for all the players you want, but once the playoffs start you gotta be cap compliant period

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I understand your idea, and the bottom line is, you’re suggesting that teams can use LTIR

I understand your suggestions, and the bottom line is, you’re suggesting that the team can’t use LTIR to load up and then be over the cap in the playoffs because the player either plays game 82, or activated and is a healthy scratch, or put on regular IR. All this is what I’m suggesting. Be cap compliant in the playoffs. You can still use LTIR in the regular season and trade for all the players you want, but once the playoffs start you gotta be cap compliant period
Yeah, I think we're both aiming for the same goal. I just think that while both solutions require changes to the CBA, my solution requires smaller changes.

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, I think we're both aiming for the same goal. I just think that while both solutions require changes to the CBA, my solution requires smaller changes.
Yup, and I don’t really care how they get there as long as they make the change. I know people say, well it’s the rules and everyone can play the LTIR game, but that’s not really true. Everyone can’t use the LTIR and load up because players mostly choose where they want to be traded to because they have no trade lists and stuff.

In which case a team like Vegas or Panthers have an advantage because most players want to go to those cities, so it’s a disadvantage for other teams. And it’s not fair for teams with 80 mill spent have to go up against teams that spent 90 or 100 mill in the playoffs.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
. I just love fairness more, and I don't think it's fair that teams who gets injuries to key players at the right times get to load up, and teams without injuries have to still stay below the cap.

This is where I stand. It is RIDICULOUS that the timing of injuries allow a team to load up their roster that would not be eligible in the regular season. Does any other league allow anything similar to this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad