Solution to the LTIR Issue

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If you are on LTIR and then get reactivatd for the playoffs, there should be a caphit penality that carries over to next season equal to the amount of cap over the limit used.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Again, I don’t want the solution to be the cap applying to the playoff roster.

The playoffs are 1. Awesome 2. A war of attrition

I accept the cap forcing capped-out top teams to ice sub-optimal rosters in the regular season, including have to ice less than 15 skaters, but that shit can’t happen in a playoff game.

(And villainous Vegas has played games with less than 15 skaters in the regular season due to cap issues.)

And how exactly are teams supposed to deal with injuries in the playoffs if you take expanded rosters away? Are they putting guys on the IR to get emergency call ups?

I just don’t want it. I want teams to ice the best teams.

This was was from the Atlantic:

So there you go, Holland suggested this (IMO) terrible idea. That makes me have even less respect for him but YMMV.

It doesn’t surprise me that the teams complaining the most are most likely poorly cap managed teams lol.

I like there being super teams (if that even plays out. Not every cap dollar is even spent equally). Reward well run teams with the asset management to pull it off

There’s nothing wrong with the rule as is

Exactly. Once Toronto or Edmonton do it.. the rules will change. So let's do it till then. I don't consider it cheating or circumventing. Winner's win.

Should've called up Campbell and put Kane on IR. I'm sure we could've got some nice pieces for 10 million heading into playoffs.

I say every time in the playoffs starts with 100 mill in cap! It only sucks when only one team is smart enough to do it. Some teams have 'nerds' doing this shit and other teams have 'gut instinct' and 'I played the game' doing it. Give me the nerds!! All of them.
Toronto has done it. Not to the extent because it wasn’t one of their big three, but they definitely have played around with the LTIR rules around the trade deadline. Maybe Edmonton will do it when they have the assets to spend or the depth to lose one of their three best players for a few months

Reactions: Guttersniped

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Alternative solution that I think is quite simple and doesn't involve the cap:

If a player is on LTIR to end the season, they are not eligible to play the first 2 games of the playoffs.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I don’t like any system that makes it even harder to move players. This is an “issue” but it’s open to everyone, and there really is no easy solution. Do you want your best players/teams being out of the playoff hunt early, because of some freak injuries, and them being unable to trade for someone, because they won’t be able to ice them in the playoffs?

If you want to disincentivize it, maybe a luxury tax on playoff revenue for teams that ice a noncompliant roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad