Solo Road Trips

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is actually how I feel about New Jersey. The state is a small kidney-bean-shaped thing but driving through it is nails on a goddamn chalkboard, and the (terrible) traffic is only part of the reason why. It just goes on and on and on, far more than you'd expect such a small state to do.
I think it’s because people see New Jersey as just between New York and Philadelphia. I’ve never driven the full north-south length of it, but I have gotten on the NJ Turnpike from PA and once you get to 73 and start seeing signs for the Delaware Memorial Bridge and it’s still like another hour away if there’s traffic. Also New Jersey you could like cut it off in quarters and be like 4 different states

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I think it’s because people see New Jersey as just between New York and Philadelphia. I’ve never driven the full north-south length of it, but I have gotten on the NJ Turnpike from PA and once you get to 73 and start seeing signs for the Delaware Memorial Bridge and it’s still like another hour away if there’s traffic. Also New Jersey you could like cut it off in quarters and be like 4 different states
I'm from Upstate NY and live in the Boston area now, so my vantage point has always been viewing the entirety of NJ from the north...and it takes forever.

Now I just go around the darn thing. In PA, my biggest problem is road construction because each and every time I have ever driven an interstate highway in the state of Pennsylvania I've had major delays due to road construction. Every. Single. Time.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
This is actually how I feel about New Jersey. The state is a small kidney-bean-shaped thing but driving through it is nails on a goddamn chalkboard, and the (terrible) traffic is only part of the reason why. It just goes on and on and on, far more than you'd expect such a small state to do.
Ohio is the Kansas of the east ,it's F'ing huge.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm from Upstate NY and live in the Boston area now, so my vantage point has always been viewing the entirety of NJ from the north...and it takes forever.

Now I just go around the darn thing. In PA, my biggest problem is road construction because each and every time I have ever driven an interstate highway in the state of Pennsylvania I've had major delays due to road construction. Every. Single. Time.
That’s because it goes on every single day for eternity. 95 has been under construction for like 12 years and they’re like 5 years behind.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
oh GOD don't start me about Ohio. I-71 between Columbus and Cincinnati is the most boring ~2 hour drive I've ever experienced.
I did that going to Canton (not alone). Considering how many mid-sized towns are in Ohio, there’s nothing there.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just got back from a drive down to Orlando and back up to south east Massachusetts. I stopped for a hotel in Charleston on the way down, and Richmond heading North.

The car performed remarkably well. Tank averages were reading anywhere from 37-47mpg. I did achieve over 650 miles on a tank and still had quite a bit to go, so if the readout was a little high it was not by much. Tank is 17.7gal

I was recovering from wisdom teeth extraction, so my diet was way off. Fatigue wasn’t much of a problem but hunger was tough on me. Bathroom breaks were difficult as well. I filled a couple water bottles on the side of the road and used way more rest areas than usual. I did have to hang at a rest area on the way back for about 90 minutes due to a crazy migraine. In my younger days i could make the entire drive in one shot, only stopping for gas and a quick wizz. This one was much harder on me.

I am very thankful for the adaptive cruise and the highway steer assist on the car. It essentially turns into a self driver. I could also keep it in EV mode cruising endlessly at 65mph if I got close enough to a larger truck…i just know better than to screw with truckers. It’s their road IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad